Birth control

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by rrlbees, Oct 6, 2017.

1. timkay99

timkay99 All Conference

My point in my viewpoint is to show that I can relate from a fiscal perspective to what people are going through.

Typically, people in these low wage situations do not have health insurance and thus, do not have that free access to birth control through insurance (a 2015 New York Times story is highlighted here: Many Low-Income Workers Say ‘No’ to Health Insurance).

People in these situations are having to make these decisions a lot.

2. timkay99

timkay99 All Conference

I am glad you equate birth control knowledge and the sky is blue as the same thing. Strawman.

3. maxxyz

maxxyz Scout Team

And my viewpoint is that if a woman working for minimum wage gets pregnant and goes on welfare for five years as a single mother then you, me and every other taxpayer will be paying the bill.

So why not be proactive instead of reactive? Through healthcare or Planned Parenthood or whatever - make birth control free.

bballbeadle likes this.
  4. timkay99

timkay99 All Conference

I agree 100 % with your bottom line. The biggest issue with our healthcare is it is reactive (I am pretty sure I said that earlier in this thread). I would love to see us proactive by doing things such as making gym membership and trainers tax deductible, all birth control tax deductible and really do things that make people better before bad or unwanted things happen. Same reason I am for breathalyzers on every vehicle. Its preventive and makes people have to work to do something impulsively.

I would be perfectly okay paying for birth control as part of my taxes. I have a bigger issue (as a 31 year old guy that works out) having to pay for medical bills of diseases that have levels of preventiveness through physical exercise.

Odds are, if you want a preventive measure in insurance, I am for it. This is no different.

HOFCeluck likes this.
  5. Day2

Day2 All Conference

Only in the sense that from my perspective (and I'm guessing this applies to maxxyz as well), they're both common knowledge.

6. timkay99

timkay99 All Conference

I never assume common knowledge. Which is why I link when I make factual statements so there is a source for someone to look at and respond to. And I ask for a link when something does not match up to my personal experience so I can get better facts. Common knowledge assumption is a very dangerous thing given the wealth of backgrounds in this country. I don't share your hate of anecdotal evidence b/c everyone is shaped by their own anecdotal evidence. Understanding their reasons is the key to understanding people.

The better response to the sky is blue and why I wouldn't ask for a link is that it matches up with what I have perceived in my life experiences. So that factual statement is fact in my head as well.

7. maxxyz

maxxyz Scout Team

Ok - you've lost me. How is it different to you if health insurance pays for it or your taxes pays for it? Don't get me wrong, I'd love for taxes to pay for it to make it free for everyone, but it sounds like you just did a big flipflop. Either way you (timkay99) are covering the cost of birth control. Am I reading you correctly?

BTW - Suggesting that national healthcare policy should be changed so that it accommodates only your own lifestyle is pretty selfish. Amirite?

8. Day2

Day2 All Conference

Oh yeah, that's clear.

9. Quazzum69

Quazzum69 Starter

Some studies have found it was cheaper to care for smokers and obese people over their lifetime because of decreased life spans. Dying when you're 70 is cheaper than dragging out life for another 10, 15 years when the body really starts to break down.

Smokers and the obese cheaper to care for, study shows

10. timkay99

timkay99 All Conference

I am not flip flopping. I was never against insurance covering it, but the link I posted shows insurance covering it doesn't necessarily mean it's free to everyone. So, the best way to get free birth control to everyone is likely through the government.

And no, your last sentence is not true and this is why. Healthy lifestyle. Preventative action to stop diseases that take lives. Especially when we are all now grouped together into mandatory health insurance and the result is having to pay for people and their cares with diseases that are preventable. It's a fact that the more physical fit you are, the more healthy life you live and thus, less expensive procedures (Why You Really Need to Join a Gym, By the Numbers).

It has absolutely nothing to do with my personal lifestyle and everything to do with keeping people healthy. There is an obesity epidemic in this country. Preventative measures can stop that. And people need to be incentivized to do so.

11. timkay99

timkay99 All Conference

Obesity: The Healthcare Costs of Obesity - The State of Obesity
    "A 2008 study by the Urban Institute, The New York Academy of Medicine and TFAH found that an investment of $10 per person in proven community-based programs to increase physical activity, improve nutrition and prevent smoking and other tobacco use could save the country more than $16 billion annually within five years. That's a return of $5.60 for every $1 invested.9 Out of the $16 billion, Medicare could save more than $5 billion and Medicaid could save more than $1.9 billion. Also, expanding the use of prevention programs would better inform the most effective, strategic public and private investments that yield the strongest results."

12. KellySyracuse

KellySyracuse All Conference

why hasn't a male birth control that kills sperm been invented yet? Why is it always on the woman to have to manage it? And why do men have the overwhelming need to try and limit women's access to birth control through their messed up theories or outlook on life when they have not experienced life, you know living as a woman? Some of the statements in this thread are real head shakers, borderline neanderthal. Congratulations.

Day2 and orange79 like this.
  13. CuseFaninVT

CuseFaninVT Living Legend

And you didn't have kids. That's kind of a difference maker in the equation.

Day2 likes this.
  14. exits funnel

exits funnel All American

I think that it's been invented, but they are suppressing it because they know that once it hits the market the birth rate will drop to essentially zero.

This is such a weird line of thinking to me. There is not a single person in this thread who thinks that women shouldn't use or have access to birth control. Some of us just don't think that the government should force people to pay for other people's birth control if they don't want to. Your bar for what constitutes a Neanderthal is really, really, really low.

15. KellySyracuse

invented I believe but suppressing it because of a zero birth rate? C'mon, if there is money to be made by the pharma companies you can bet they will market it. This is more about oppression than it is anything else.

The government isn't regulating men's healthcare are they? Do you think you'd have to pay for a vasectomy? Has anyone in this thread beyond a few taken a moment to think what a pregnancy actually does to a woman's body?

They want to take away Planned Parenthood, they want to take away birth control covered by insurance, they want to take away a woman's right to choose how she manage's her health. Yeah, she can pay for it out of her pocket as long as the guy gets his rocks off at no expense.

Day2 likes this.
  16. exits funnel

exits funnel All American

That was a joke.

There is no reasonable definition of oppression that fits anything in this thread.

You have it exactly backwards. Conservatives aren't trying to regulate anything; they are trying to do just the opposite. It's mandating what employers have to cover that is a regulation. Prohibiting them from covering certain kinds of medications would procedures would also be a regulation. But giving employers some leeway in what that can offer is just the opposite of a regulation. You keep talking about vesectomies and, for what it's worth, I think that employers should also be free to purchase plans which do or don't cover that procedure.

17. KellySyracuse

why stop at birth control? The employer gets to cherry pick what they want to pay for - no breast cancer screening, no pap smears, no vaginal exams for endometriosis or ovarian cancer. Being pregnant is the woman's choice after all, make her pay for it. No maternal care either. Better hope they'll cover an enlarged prostate or maybe they should unregulate that too

CuseFaninVT and Day2 like this.
  18. Day2

Day2 All Conference

This is what a reasonable person looks like. This is what productive interaction looks like.

CuseFaninVT likes this.
  19. Quazzum69

Quazzum69 Starter

It's not just women that like birth control. I and every s e xually active straight guy I know loves birth control.

Let's just say it's liberating for us guys, too.(Yes, that's a condom joke).

CuseFaninVT and Day2 like this.
  20. supp

supp All Conference

Preventative medicine is the top priority of every country with nationalized medicine.

CuseFaninVT likes this.