BlacKkKlansman

Cuseregular

All American
Will make a make a mark. Unreal true story by and large, still timely (unfortunately), and my oh my what a powerful ending. Will be Lees most watched movie.

Day2

All American
Will make a make a mark. Unreal true story by and large, still timely (unfortunately), and my oh my what a powerful ending. Will be Lees most watched movie.
Thought he did a great job tying the story into present day events. Solid, entertaining effort.

supp

All American
I don't know. I thought it was pretty freaking awful. Cartoonish characters and laughably bad dialog, and the film's message had the subtlety of a sledgehammer. Insulting to the audience's intelligence. After watching Sorry to Bother You and Blindspotting this summer, this movie pales in comparison. I can't believe that people are talking about Oscars for it. If the director was anyone but Lee, there'd be months of re-shoots and edits to make this releaseable. Putting aside the important issues at the center of it, this is a bargain barrel dvd at the 7-11 kind of film.

Last edited:

Day2

All American
I don't know. I thought it was pretty freaking awful. Cartoonish characters and laughably bad dialog, and the film's message had the subtlety of a sledgehammer. Insulting to the audience's intelligence. After watching Sorry to Bother You and Blindspotting this summer, this movie pales in comparison. I can't believe that people are talking about Oscars for it. If the director was anyone but Lee, there'd be months of re-shoots and edits to make this releaseable. Putting aside the important issues at the center of it, this is a bargain barrel dvd at the 7-11 kind of film.
Some of the hype reminds me of The Departed and Martin Scorsese. The Academy making up for past transgressions and all that. BlacKkKlansman is still a powerful and important film IMO, it's just not Lee's best or even top five.

moqui

hailing from parts unknown
i think that is a little harsh . . . but, yes, the film is overrated. not bad, but not oscar-worthy.

my own take: it was a fairly well made polemic and, like most polemics, it will end up preaching to the converted and won't have a broader impact that a film like "do the right thing" did.

Top Bottom