Blocking by the numbers | Syracusefan.com

Blocking by the numbers

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
Based upon PFF preliminary grades. Final grades will be Monday night/Tuesday.

Run blocking. Vett and Berg were at the low end of average while the others were below average. Not surprised, our run game was terrible.

Vett
Berg
Ellis
Bleich
Davis

Pass blocking. Berg was above average and Davis average. The rest were below average.

Berg
Davis
Vett
Ellis
Bleich

the inability to get an run push or hold up in pass blocking slowed the offense down.. There were WRs open if the passing blocking had been better.. Seemed like every stunt they didnt handle well.. And i dont know that Elemore missing is the issue. The TEs seemed to make decent blocks. have to watch it again to really see what the issue was but the DTs caused issues all game for us.

It really shows that when you have a center that wins that battle everything gets easier.

Run blocking. Vett and Berg were at the low end of average while the others were below average. Not surprised, our run game was terrible.

Vett
Berg
Ellis
Bleich
Davis

Pass blocking. Berg was above average and Davis average. The rest were below average.

Berg
Davis
Vett
Ellis
Bleich
I'm surprised on the pass blocking. Felt like for the most part Shrader had good pockets.

I'm surprised on the pass blocking. Felt like for the most part Shrader had good pockets.

I personally didn’t see it that way. Felt he was constantly having to move around to find a space to throw while looking for open WR’s. If he wasn’t more mobile Purdue would have had a number of sacks or forced more TO’s as a result of pressure.

the inability to get an run push or hold up in pass blocking slowed the offense down.. There were WRs open if the passing blocking had been better.. Seemed like every stunt they didnt handle well.. And i dont know that Elemore missing is the issue. The TEs seemed to make decent blocks. have to watch it again to really see what the issue was but the DTs caused issues all game for us.

It really shows that when you have a center that wins that battle everything gets easier.

I felt that we had a hard time getting WRs open. There were a good number of passing attempts where Shrader had a lot of time in the pocket, but nobody open. I think it was a mix of below average pass protection and our guys not being able to get separation from the DBs on too many plays.

I personally didn’t see it that way. Felt he was constantly having to move around to find a space to throw while looking for open WR’s. If he wasn’t more mobile Purdue would have had a number of sacks or forced more TO’s as a result of pressure.

In the first half, he was running a lot. Second half, we often kept a back or a TE in for coverage and he had more time, but few open receivers.

In the first half, he was running a lot. Second half, we often kept a back or a TE in for coverage and he had more time, but few open receivers.

I’ll watch again but felt he was pressured on and off most of the game. There were times he had time to throw but the o-line wasn’t consistently holding up. I could be wrong too. Hard to contextualize all that while watching it all play out, especially a game like that.

We've given up six sacks this year

Ville 2
UConn 3
Purdue 1

(We have six of our own: Ville 3, UConn 2, Purdue 1)

Let's see where we are after NC State.

I'd hope, expect, that we'd only have another 2-3 total between Virginia and Wagner games.

Mang was worse than any of the OL in both pass and run blocking. He was a bright red fail. Hoeh was below average in run blocking but very good in pass block.

FWIW, Alford was our best blocking WR.

The big difference between TD and Shrader is that Shrader sees the pressure much quicker and bails on the play fast enough he gots out of the sack and often turns it into a positive. 4 on 5-6-7 should not be pressure as often. It may be talent, it may be confusion. It has to get better.

Even like the Int, that wasnt, late in the 3rd. Shrader had Gasden wide open standing in the end zone and held it so long he finally made a bad decision to throw and lucky for us a penalty got called.

Mang was worse than any of the OL in both pass and run blocking. He was a bright red fail. Hoeh was below average in run blocking but very good in pass block.

FWIW, Alford was our best blocking WR.
Alford is an enigma. Huge talent that just doesnt have the quicks to run solid routes, but then he makes that great hand catch that he was just out on late.. Need to use him in those spots more..

See I thought they did well and we had open guys. I think Garrett held ball too long with open guys. I was counting and he almost always had 4 sec or more. He is better when he has to throw it.

Vett
Berg
Ellis
Bleich
Davis

Berg
Davis
Vett
Ellis
Bleich
Like these threads, thanks for doing them.

See I thought they did well and we had open guys. I think Garrett held ball too long with open guys. I was counting and he almost always had 4 sec or more. He is better when he has to throw it.
I think his first read was covered more than any other game.. He had time on plays, but couldnt just get it and throw.. the design of the plays is so much better than we do get guys open just have to do better and seeing who it is faster.

The big difference between TD and Shrader is that Shrader sees the pressure much quicker and bails on the play fast enough he gots out of the sack and often turns it into a positive. 4 on 5-6-7 should not be pressure as often. It may be talent, it may be confusion. It has to get better.

Even like the Int, that wasnt, late in the 3rd. Shrader had Gasden wide open standing in the end zone and held it so long he finally made a bad decision to throw and lucky for us a penalty got called.
I was annoyed at him during game (granted we're on other 35 so harder to see)...but in rewatching that play, I think it was clear he saw Tucker got tackled and that was his first option. So I'd like to think he knew he had a free play. Granted, you can't always assume that but it was pretty clear a flag came out early. Still don't love him throwing it.

Three games in and I’ve been a bit disappointed in our OL. Thought they’d be better given their experience. Hoping they show some improvement starting this week.

That’s where I’m at. They’ve done OK I guess but I expected far more. Bleich in particular has been disappointing but I’m gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it’s because of his injuries and surgeries having an impact on his mobility and moving his feet.

It was a rough day for the Oline. They got pushed around badly. I do think Purdue has a strong front 7 so it should mostly get better from here.

You have to think a lot of the blocking issues are related to changes in the offensive play designs. Hope the coaches acknowledge this and try to fix what is fixable.

Three games in and I’ve been a bit disappointed in our OL. Thought they’d be better given their experience. Hoping they show some improvement starting this week.

That’s where I’m at. They’ve done OK I guess but I expected far more. Bleich in particular has been disappointing but I’m gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it’s because of his injuries and surgeries having an impact on his mobility and moving his feet.

Same. This group is clearly serviceable, but they are holding Tucker's productivity back by not opening holes. Veteran group, but I also wonder if we see a change [or two] made as the season goes on.

It was a rough day for the Oline. They got pushed around badly. I do think Purdue has a strong front 7 so it should mostly get better from here.

One of the things that I didn't see yesterday were those counter hand-offs to Tucker, where they make it look like the run is going left, Tucker plants the outside foot, and cuts back behind the 3 blockers going left.

Maybe Purdue got too much penetration, or maybe Mang wasn't effective as a lead blocker in the hole, but I don't remember seeing that play called too many times. It seemed like we mostly called straight dive calls or off-tackle plays, not much mis-direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom