a

• a

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

longislandcuse

Living Legend
Getting absolutely destroyed for blocking the transfer of one of his players. This has been on Mike and Mike all morning yesterday and again today. He blocked him from transferring to any team on their schedule including any ACC team, since they could possibly play one of them in the ACC/BigTen challenge.

Not sure whats going on with us and that kid from Duke but this might make K think long and hard before he starts blocking schools.

Coach K wouldn't get blasted for blocking a kid from transferring to Cuse or Pitt...however, he might just allow it as Jim is his Olympic Buddy.

Presuming a previous post was correct that 'Cuse reached out to the kid from Duke, I would think Coach K already gave the nod its okay. On the other hand, I cant think of any reason for a coach to block a player from going anywhere when that player was not considered a good player for that coach...being vindictive will fall back on you sooner or later.

I think Coach K has a solid enough history to truly be impacted by what Bo Ryan does and what Mike & Mike say.

I sense the kid has been less than forthcoming...but Ryan, who has always seemed like a great man of integrity, is acting much too dickheadedly, IMO.

Didn't Ryan also block him from going to ISU? Kid's from Iowa. That's vindictive if true.

Bo Ryan is on mike and mike right now and he sounds rattled. They are hammering him pretty hard.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

...Ryan trying to hide behind three things: process of ncaa rules, other coaches have done this, and that the kid never gave Ryan why he wants to leave...silly rule but okay coach, i think your court play hinders me from becoming a professional...your style sucks. Now can I go where I want.

I heard the last part of it. Ryan basically wasn't answering any real questions. It was an obviously vindictive act that he can do under the rules, which obviously need to be changed.

Other conference schools should be blocked and that's it. Any non-conference school should be allowed. Ryan is being a complete dickhead on this. The kid was interested in going to Virginia. So because of the B1G-ACC Challenge Ryan uses that as an excuse to block EVERY ACC school. That is just insane. It's one game and the kid isn't LeBron.

Other conference schools should be blocked and that's it. Any non-conference school should be allowed. Ryan is being a complete dickhead on this. The kid was interested in going to Virginia. So because of the B1G-ACC Challenge Ryan uses that as an excuse to block EVERY ACC school. That is just insane. It's one game and the kid isn't LeBron.
Seriously. There's a 1/12 chance he would face this kid in the challenge, and an even smaller chance that the kid would actually be the deciding factor in the game.

Go and check the Wiscy (s)cout forums. Their fans are using every excuse to justify it.

In general, I understand why a coach would want to block a guy from transferring to certain schools. I think first there is the competition element, I wouldn't want a player that we had in our program to go to a rival and have his performance be instrumental in beating us or have his scouting report be instrumental in beating us. Second, there is the investment in the recruit element. The University allocated one of its 13 available scholarships to the player and his departure may place the University at a competitive disadvantage if they can't find someone to fill the slot, or find someone who is as good a fit to fill the slot. So maybe you don't want to allow yourself to be the stepping stone to another "better" opportunity that may not have been available to the kid the first time around. For example Dahntay Jones leaving Rutgers to transfer to Duke might be that situation.

On the other hand in an environment where scholarships are not guaranteed beyond one year, players get recruited over all of the time and coaches up and leave for a "better" opportunity at the drop of a hat, seems like the one year ineligibility rule is sufficient protection (in terms of a deterrent) for the University that the player is transferring from that coaches shouldn't hold additional power to further limit a players options.

First, I think Bo Ryan is being a dick. but I'm swayed to the supporting the rule as it is. The one reason I heard for the rule this morning on Mike and Mike that makes sense to me is that it prevents or limits other schools from tampering with your players that you've invested in. What if Syracuse had signed some 3-star kid from Kentucky as a project. He wanted to go to Kentucky, but couldn't because he wasn't a flashy 1&done Mickie Ds kid. After a year or two of playing collegiate ball, he grows into his body and he turns into a potential stud, 12-16 ppg, 10 boards, he's opening eyes. Cal misses out on his next flashy 1 & done and then sends WWW to talk to this kid at SU that he should really be playing for Cal at UK and that with UK he'll get a shoe contract and be a top-5 pick in the next NBA draft.

Wouldn't people be a little pissed off if the kid, for no apparent reason, just ups and transfers to UK?

Letting players freely move with only minor repercussions would be a field day for shady programs and players' handlers making behind the scenes deals. Recruiting is shady enough as it is - now extrapolate that to ALL players all the time.

How many of Boheim's transfers have gone to a comparable school? None that I can think off the top of my head.

What I don't get is the student-athlete signs a LOI to the school, not the head coach. This is why, after a LOI is signed, a head coach leaves, the kid must get a release from the school.

Why does the coach have this power? The kid signed to play at Wisconsin, not to play for Bo Ryan. If he wants out of Wisc, he should be able to go anywhere but B10 schools IMO.

First, I think Bo Ryan is being a dick. but I'm swayed to the supporting the rule as it is. The one reason I heard for the rule this morning on Mike and Mike that makes sense to me is that it prevents or limits other schools from tampering with your players that you've invested in. What if Syracuse had signed some 3-star kid from Kentucky as a project. He wanted to go to Kentucky, but couldn't because he wasn't a flashy 1&done Mickie Ds kid. After a year or two of playing collegiate ball, he grows into his body and he turns into a potential stud, 12-16 ppg, 10 boards, he's opening eyes. Cal misses out on his next flashy 1 & done and then sends WWW to talk to this kid at SU that he should really be playing for Cal at UK and that with UK he'll get a shoe contract and be a top-5 pick in the next NBA draft.

Wouldn't people be a little pissed off if the kid, for no apparent reason, just ups and transfers to UK?

Letting players freely move with only minor repercussions would be a field day for shady programs and players' handlers making behind the scenes deals. Recruiting is shady enough as it is - now extrapolate that to ALL players all the time.

How many of Boheim's transfers have gone to a comparable school? None that I can think off the top of my head.
Ah, the Derrick Williams paradox. Thing is, if a kid blows up like that, why would he transfer and sit out a season, prolonging his payday? Why not stay at Cuse 1 more season and leave as a top 10 pick?

I think the big east has a good rule regarding the 2 year wait for an in conference transfer, tales it out of the coaches hands and puts it on the player to pick the best school in the big east for him.

But that said, the players definitely are getting the short end of the stick in this. I like what Bilas said about "regular students get to transfer to wherever they want without the school putting an exception list out" so lets just call it as it is...they are athlete students not the other way around.

JB on Cowherd:
  • Ryan is a great guy, great friend, straight-shooter but a little bit wrong.
  • JB always lets kids go wherever they want. Hedged on if there was no conference rule and kid wants to go to UConn. Wouldn't be thrilled.
  • Has never stopped a kid from transferring but has tried to convince some not to go. Sometimes marriages just don't work out. Asked Cowherd if his ex-wife had asked to marry a specific guy or just wanted to change conferences.
  • Switched to APR. Hates losing a point for transfer or for kids getting kicked out of school for non-academic problems. He helped draft the APR and they've tried to change this rule but haven't been successful.

JB on Cowherd:
  • Ryan is a great guy, great friend, straight-shooter but a little bit wrong.
  • JB always lets kids go wherever they want. Hedged on if there was no conference rule and kid wants to go to UConn. Wouldn't be thrilled.
  • Has never stopped a kid from transferring but has tried to convince some not to go. Sometimes marriages just don't work out. Asked Cowherd if his ex-wife had asked to marry a specific guy or just wanted to change conferences.
  • Switched to APR. Hates losing a point for transfer or for kids getting kicked out of school for non-academic problems. He helped draft the APR and they've tried to change this rule but haven't been successful.

I guess he forgot about riley when he said he cant remember the last guy to transfer and it had to be st least 5 years since he had one lol. Good interview though, reinforces the belief that jimmy always has a players back whether its a current, former, or soon to be "ex" player

Even if the kid is somehow screwing the program and coach over what do they gain by limiting him from transfering to as many schools as possible just to spite the kid. Bo Ryan is an adult and should be looking at the big picture not trying to screw some kid over because he made a dcision Bo doesn't like.

On a side note: He's a kid, sitting and watching that offense for a whole season could have perminently harmed his brain. They spend half of the shot clock trying not to score.

I guess he forgot about riley when he said he cant remember the last guy to transfer and it had to be st least 5 years since he had one lol.
maybe he considers Dash not so much a transfer as a parting gift to help Rob Murphy jump start his program ;) - didn't JB also give Dash a waiver so he wouldn't have to sit a year and could play immediately?

I guess he forgot about riley when he said he cant remember the last guy to transfer and it had to be st least 5 years since he had one lol. Good interview though, reinforces the belief that jimmy always has a players back whether its a current, former, or soon to be "ex" player
And Sean Williams.

maybe he considers Dash not so much a transfer as a parting gift to help Rob Murphy jump start his program ;) - didn't JB also give Dash a waiver so he wouldn't have to sit a year and could play immediately?

Wouldnt doubt it lol. I like how the staff keeps schollys open and gives them to walkons...its nearly impossible to have 13 kids on a full ide who were bug time players in hs and not lose some to a transfer. I think riley got the hardship waiver bc of his grandmothers illness

If Dashonte, about as marginal a player as we've had recently, wanted to transfer to UK to be a backup's backup just for insurance purposes, this place would have gone nuts, and we have almost 0% chance of playing Kentucky.

Now imagine if it was a disgruntled freshman, like Dion, who wasn't exactly a fan favorite at this time last year.

Ryan's a stupid dick but give Wisky fans a break.

If there is no restriction on coaches moving to other schools, there should damn well be no restrictions on players transferring.