Because he wins wherever he goes. If you know football, it translates. Getting some retread “name” might make some dolts happy, but we need a coach who knows how to win. This dude does.I agree. Its really weird.
People are absolutely clamoring for this coach I never heard of from a program I never think about.
Fine as a mention, but when he is coming in as the seeming #1 in some people's minds over some of the other options, dudes with NFL and P5 experience, that is weird to me.
Him personally recruiting isn’t as important as hiring assistants that are solid recruiters.The more you read and learn about this guy, the more impressive he seems. It’s a little bit of a gamble, but he’s a winner. He checks off a couple of things Wildhack mentioned:
1. Great communicator
2. Northeast ties
3. intricate in his organization and preparation
4. Developer of talent
5. special teams success
Big question is can he recruit at the power five level? He definitely has the personality to be a good recruiter.
Thank you!! I agree it’s a terrific fit.I was told things during the last HC search that came true. Timing was impeccable too.
This time around, I got nothing but a gut feeling. He just checks a lot of boxes. Almost all of them.
Be nice to have some P5 experience but it is what it is. This is what I see…
1) Young Coach, relatively, that can relate more to the youth.
2) Excellent track record of success and development at literally every HC stop he’s had. At the end of the day, football’s football. If you can coach, you can coach.
3) Northeast experience - check.
4) AD’s going to love that we can most likely get him cheaper than most candidates. Whether we’ve got it to spend or not, we can reallocate additional funds on staff/program/etc.
5) Hey, he might bring a QB, BONUS!
6) Going to be a guy that could grow with the program.
I just think it’s a good fit. Hell, we’re due to catch lightning in a bottle.
U Mass beat New Mexico State. New Mexico State beat Auburn. Yep, just as Cous would tell you, U Mass is a better job than AuburnOne of their posters saying they lost to BC by 3 and we lost to them by 7 at home, so therefor Syracuse is an awful job… Have to love fan logic when their star boy coach is about to get poached
There’s also multiple posters there saying they hate Syracuse and how we’re (the fans) insufferable. What did we ever do to Holy Cross? (Besides take their beloved HC in a couple days of course)
It’s a concern but I’m not sure exactly how different it would be with recruiting and running the program. Also his team seemed to do pretty well against FBS opponents this year so he’s proven he can punch above his weight.No one else concerned that he has no FBS experience (as a coach or player)?