Bob Ryan's rebuttal to Shaughnessy | Syracusefan.com

Bob Ryan's rebuttal to Shaughnessy

Shaughnessy is the most despised sportswriter in Boston. He acts like a Harvard educated arrogant Skip Bayless on First Take. His editor Joe Sullivan is a guy who has treated Shaughnessy as the superstar of the Globe Sports page when the readers loved Bob Ryan and can't stand Dan Shaughnessy its part of the reason Bob Ryan retired, he was tired of dealing with the ego of Shaughnessy. I can't tell you how much I look forward to Shaughnessy's retirement that dude is my most disliked writer of alltime.

Can't say I despise Shaughnessy but he's not in Ryan's class. One of the highlights of my life was working at the Globe in college with the likes of Ryan, Montville, Gammons, etc. Hall of Famers. Have to say, that's a pretty good rebutal on Ryan's part.

Whereas I am not a huge Shaughnessy fan, I agree with his basic premise. No one cares about BC football or hoops - except for 13 Superfans still waiting for their trip to the Fiesta Bowl (thank you Diamond Ferri). Plus, as much as I like Ryan, every argument he makes in this article (not related to hockey) is about 20 years old or more. Even the Alabama win at Foxboro he mentions was in the early 80's. Could (non-hockey) BC captivate Boston again? Maybe. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Whereas I am not a huge Shaughnessy fan, I agree with his basic premise. No one cares about BC football or hoops - except for 13 Superfans still waiting for their trip to the Fiesta Bowl (thank you Diamond Ferri). Plus, as much as I like Ryan, every argument he makes in this article (not related to hockey) is about 20 years old or more. Even the Alabama win at Foxboro he mentions was in the early 80's. Could (non-hockey) BC captivate Boston again? Maybe. But I'll believe it when I see it.
If BC had its 2007 season when the Red Sox weren't going to the World Series and the New England Patriots weren't in the middle of an undefeated regular season then yes, but BC got UNlucky that its magical start to the season coincided with the two most popular professional sports teams in Boston.

Ryan's is wrong.

He's wrong that BC is Boston's "link" to big time college sports. But he's not wrong that there is interest in college sports in Boston, its just that 95% of it doesn't involve BC.

He's wrong that BC is Boston's "link" to big time college sports. But he's not wrong that there is interest in college sports in Boston, its just that 95% of it doesn't involve BC.

Have they gone down that much since the last TNS ESPN Poll for favorite college football team I saw? Last time I looked back in 2007 or 2008, they were second to ND, and the only team besides ND to have a double-digit percentage of being the favorite.

Also, Boston is a huge hockey town. I'd have to think BC along with BU are the top two favorite college hockey teams in the area having won several NCAA championships between them.

I'd imagine UConn is the favorite basketball team in the area, but that is simply a guess. I've never seen any polls on that college sport for Boston or New England region.

Cheers,
Neil