Boeheim Madness- the Final Four | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim Madness- the Final Four

SWC75

Bored Historian
Elite 8 Results

2012 beat 1979 6-0
2012 wins it in the backcourt: they get out on the Cohenheadds and there’s nobody else that can crack the zone – or stop Jardine/Triche/Waiters.

2003 beat 1996 6-0
Anthony and Wallace have a personal war but Warrick tops Burgan. Sims blankets GMAC but Pace and Edelin own the lane.

2010 beat 1980 4-2
Onuaku and Jackson get Bouie and Schayes in foul trouble. John vs. Orr is a great battle, as is Santifer and Bruin vs. Joseph and T=Rautins. Again the backcourt comes up short of the Louie and Bouie teams as Jardine and Triche dominate Moss and Headd. The 2010 is able to pack in the zone the way Georgetown did.

1989 beats 1986 6-0
But it’s closer than people think. Seikaly and Alexis are very good but Coleman and Owens are unstoppable. Sherman’s three-dimensional, full court game beats pearl’s dribble-drives in the half court. Raf Addison can post up Stevie Thompson but he can’t keep up with him defensively.

Final Four Match-ups:
(WARNING: THIS COULD BREAK YOUR BRAIN – maybe your heart, too)

2012 vs. 1989
Fab/Keita/Christmas, meet Derrick Coleman and Billy Owens. Joseph/Fair/Southerland trying to keep up with Stevie Thompson. The Jardine/Triche/Waiters troika vs. Sherman Douglas. Matt Roe and Dave Johnson coming off the bench, (before Dave learned to shoot from outside). “Daddy, if the 1989 team was so great, how come they lost 8 games?”. In fact, they lost four times in 5 games – by 5 to Pittsburgh, 2 to Villanova, 2 to St. John’s and 6 to Connecticut, the last three on the road. They later lost by 7 at Georgetown, by 3 to Boston College and by 10 to Georgetown in the BET, (to the delight of Mike Lupica) and the by 3 in the Elite 8 to a 31-5 Illinois team. Remember that there are no road games in Boeheim Madness. The 2012 team is our winningest ever. And the only game they lost with Fab at center was by 3 to Cincinnati in the BET when the Bearcats went off from three-point range. Could the ’89 team do that? They actually hit 37% of their treys. Matt Roe was an amazing 47% and Sherman Douglas 37%, (because teams had to guard Coleman and Owens inside). But everyone else was 20%. The ’89 team hit just 61% of their free throws. 2012 hit 70%. This is a tough one, (they all are at this point), but I’ll go with the team was better at winning the close ones, 2012.

2003 vs. 2010
Onuaku/Jackson vs. Forth/McNeill. Carmelo vs. Wes. Warrick vs. Joseph. Pace and Edelin vs. Rautins. McNamara and Duany vs. Jardine and Triche. I don’t think 2003 can stop Arinze and Rick’s two-man game inside. Carmelo is stronger than Wes. Warrick is longer than Joseph. Kansas couldn’t cover everybody and still stop Pace and Edelin. McNamara could go off at any time. 2003. I think.

Post your predictions below and I’ll set up the Boeheim Bowl tomorrow.

This is brutal.
2010. I really thought that 2010 team was going all the way, even after Arinze went down. With him, it was a no- brainer.
Actually, I felt really good about all of these teams winning it all. We should have played Fab in the NCAAT.

Holy crap. I never even saw the elite 8 post. Give people busy with a job and family a chance to participate.

I had to go with the teams with the elite players.

The 2010 team was an elite team.
The 2003 team was a very good, but not elite team, that went on a good run.

The other things is these things are all relative. Due to players sticking around college basketball teams were stronger in 1990 than 2000, and then in 2000 vs 2010.

As to why I then didn't back 2012, I don't know. Leave me alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom