Boeheim RE: Ennis & NBA | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim RE: Ennis & NBA

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
SI.com: Do you think he'll turn pro after the season is over?

Boeheim: I don't think so. I think he knows and his father knows that he's a really good college player. He has to become a better shooter and get stronger to go to the next level. He'd go in the first round, but look at the number of first-round picks who are already out of the league in the last two years. It's a huge number.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...m-syracuse-duke-north-carolina/#ixzz2swZYBvIe

Boeheim: I don't think so. I think he knows and his father knows that he's a really good college player. He has to become a better shooter and get stronger to go to the next level. He'd go in the first round, but look at the number of first-round picks who are already out of the league in the last two years. It's a huge number.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...m-syracuse-duke-north-carolina/#ixzz2swZYBvIe

For those who don't want to do the research, who are the ones out of the league?

Royce White
Fab

I for one give JB a ton of credit here. That has to be the perfect way to deflect a tough question where, answering honestly, would only create a huge distraction for the rest of the season. Deflect it, and maintain plausible deniability when, in fact, TE turns pro after the season is over. Well done coach. ;)

Is it just me or could the exact same thing be said of Jerami? And the only real difference is that Jerami's Dad has a little more insight into the situation than Tylers. And though I know times have changed but Jerami's uncle stayed 4 years and his Dad stayed 5 years in college. Worked out well for them. Just sayin..

Grant should come back. He is very athletic, but his game is not where it needs to be to make an NBA roster. He has limited range with his jumper. He has basically one move when facing the basket - drive right, spin left and almost no moves with his back to the basket. He does most of his damage on rebounds or off-ball cuts to get to the rim.

I think he should follow the Derrick Coleman trajectory, which was stay 4 years and vastly improve one facet each year. This offseason, he should work primarily on post-up moves and next year his jump shot, or vice versa. Just one humble man's opinion.

CorduroyG said:
grant gone, ennis back. thats been my story from day 1 and im sticking to it. ennis just doesnt seem like the 1 and doner type.

My story as well, about the same reasons JB has mentioned as well.

cuseincincy said:
Is it just me or could the exact same thing be said of Jerami? And the only real difference is that Jerami's Dad has a little more insight into the situation than Tylers. And though I know times have changed but Jerami's uncle stayed 4 years and his Dad stayed 5 years in college. Worked out well for them. Just sayin..

Are we really comparing NBA drafts from the 80s to now? Lebron, Kobe and Kg went straight from HS, worked out pretty well for them too.

I'd Grants a lottery pick he needs to go now.

Has JB commented publicly on other players facing this decision? Would seem he and the Ennis family are on the same page, otherwise don't think he would have commented (and thus hurt TE's draft propects).

Are we really comparing NBA drafts from the 80s to now? Lebron, Kobe and Kg went straight from HS, worked out pretty well for them too.

I'd Grants a lottery pick he needs to go now.

Do you think Grant is a lock to be a lottery pick this year?

I look at the 2012 nba first round and there a bunch of names that dont seem to be doing much 2 years into their career. but the NBA likes to reach for kids too.

I feel like very few first rounders are out of the league in 2 years. Royce White is, but in this context, he doesn't really count. And most of them, as you'd expect, are very late first rounders.

If Ennis comes back our team is beyond stacked. Fair is gone for sure, and I think Grant is gone as well.

PG-Ennis, Joseph
SG-Cooney, Bjnije, Johnson, Patterson
SF-Roberson
PF-McCollough
C- Christmas, Coleman, Obokoh

Yeah that team is pretty stacked, and if Grant comes back we will be preseason top 3.

If Ennis comes back our team is beyond stacked. Fair is gone for sure, and I think Grant is gone as well.

PG-Ennis, Joseph
SG-Cooney, Bjnije, Johnson, Patterson
SF-Roberson
PF-McCollough

Yeah that team is pretty stacked, and if Grant comes back we will be preseason top 3.

If Grant comes back along with Ennis, we'd be preseason #1.

PG-Ennis, Joseph
SG-Cooney, Gbinije, Patterson, Johnson
SF-Roberson, Gbinije, Johnson
PF-Grant, McCollough

We'd be freaking loaded even if Grant DOESN'T come back. Which for the record, I hope he does.

If Grant comes back along with Ennis, we'd be preseason #1.

PG-Ennis, Joseph
SG-Cooney, Gbinije, Patterson, Johnson
SF-Roberson, Gbinije, Johnson
PF-Grant, McCollough

We'd be freaking loaded even if Grant DOESN'T come back. Which for the record, I hope he does.
You would start Roberson over McCullough? I think McCullough starts next season regardless of who's on the roster.

ESPN NBA insider Chad Ford last week on an Ennis question during his weekly chat -

ffffff_zpsf41b28b0.jpg

You would start Roberson over McCullough? I think McCullough starts next season regardless of who's on the roster.

I think he (RF) has it right. McCullough will be a monster, but if Grant comes back, he's the starting PF -- and McCullough will get bountiful back up minutes. Of course, this is coming from a poster that projected that if TC didn't start shooting bettter, BJ would steel his minutes. So take this for what it's worth.

Roberson has a year in the system to get to know the defense. JB will start whomever has the best gripes of his philosophy regardless of preseason hype. Plus, JB likes to have a 6th man who is really a starter, but come off the bench to pickup the team's energy. If Grant and Ennis staY I think the starting lineup is

PG-Ennis
SG-Cooney
SF-Grant
PF-Christmas
C- Coleman

6th/7th guys Roberson/McCollough, 8th guy Gbinije, 9th/10th Patterson/Johnson.

I think he (RF) has it right. McCullough will be a monster, but if Grant comes back, he's the starting PF -- and McCullough will get bountiful back up minutes. Of course, this is coming from a poster that projected that if TC didn't start shooting bettter, BJ would steel his minutes. So take this for what it's worth.
I'm not suggesting McCullough would start over Grant though. I'm curious why Roberson would start over McCullough.

I don't have any insider knowledge, but it doesn't seem to me like McCullough is a recruit going somewhere to come off the bench.

ESPN NBA insider Chad Ford last week on an Ennis question during his weekly chat -

ffffff_zpsf41b28b0.jpg
Here's the thing - draft position isn't always the only factor for these guys. Look at Marcus Smart. He was in the running for #1 and came back because he wanted to win (and push fans apparently). There's more to Tyler's decision than where he will be selected.

I think both are back. Grant next year could totally be the man. Crazy how much improving he and then Roberson I bet will make. Ennis absolutely needs to get stronger. Grant's only 19. One more year in school won't hurt him and this is a loaded draft this year. His family is fine in terms of money, I bet.