Boeheim RE: Ennis & NBA | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim RE: Ennis & NBA

I think both are back. Grant next year could totally be the man. Crazy how much improving he and then Roberson I bet will make. Ennis absolutely needs to get stronger. Grant's only 19. One more year in school won't hurt him and this is a loaded draft this year. His family is fine in terms of money, I bet.

I agree and have steadfast maintained this opinion all season.

If I have to choose one as an SU fan, I easilly choose Ennis every time. I think Roberson can replace Grant pretty effectively, though I'd love to have Grant back.

Strongly agree w/ this opinion in the article

"I love when one coach calls a time out and the other one comes out of the time out playing a totally different defense. Yet another reason why I don't like coaches calling so many time outs. If were up to me -- and we all know it should be -- they would only get two time outs per game".

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...m-syracuse-duke-north-carolina/#ixzz2swu6sG1m

I am mentally and emotionally prepared for both to be gone. We're a big time program, and big time programs have guys leave early.

If they both go, I'm ready. If one goes and one stays, I'm thrilled. If they both stay, I'm dreaming big.

Are we really comparing NBA drafts from the 80s to now? Lebron, Kobe and Kg went straight from HS, worked out pretty well for them too.

I'd Grants a lottery pick he needs to go now.

Are you really comparing Jerami Grant to Lebron, Kobe and KG??

SUFan44 said:
Do you think Grant is a lock to be a lottery pick this year?

I think he's close. I'll say one thing, if he doesn't improve his jumper while in school his stock won't be as high as it is now.

They'll both be back...If Jerami is a lottery pick this year, he'll be one next year too...

pfister1 said:
Are you really comparing Jerami Grant to Lebron, Kobe and KG??

No, not at all. I'm just saying it's as far fetched comparing them as it is comparing Jerami to Horace and Harvey and NBA drafts in the 80s compared to now.

FairfaxOrange said:
They'll both be back...If Jerami is a lottery pick this year, he'll be one next year too...

Disagree. If he's a lottery pick now and comes back the same player meaning he doesn't have an outside game at all or doesn't bulk up he'll be a year older. He gets drafted now because of potential and athleticism. One year later can make a difference in the draft.

Disagree. If he's a lottery pick now and comes back the same player meaning he doesn't have an outside game at all or doesn't bulk up he'll be a year older. He gets drafted now because of potential and athleticism. One year later can make a difference in the draft.

Yup. Just ask Marcus Smart.

If Grant comes back along with Ennis, we'd be preseason #1.

PG-Ennis, Joseph
SG-Cooney, Gbinije, Patterson, Johnson
SF-Roberson, Gbinije, Johnson
PF-Grant, McCollough
C- Christmas, Coleman, Obokoh

We'd be freaking loaded even if Grant DOESN'T come back. Which for the record, I hope he does.

If what people were saying was true, Rak was seriously considering leaving after last year. I wonder what his thoughts are this year.

If what people were saying was true, Rak was seriously considering leaving after last year. I wonder what his thoughts are this year.

If we make the F4 or win it all, then I won't begrudge these guys leaving [even Rak]. Hype will be at an all time high.

But honestly--who is going to draft him? Is the NBA draft viable for him?

Yup this happens all the time.

You can basically put Jonny Flynn on that list
Seriously?

Flynn was a fine rookie NBA PG for a 20 year old put in a horrible system with zero vet talent around him. What's Kurt Rambis up to these days?

Then his hip imploded. Or would you rather he blow out his hip as a senior at SU and get nothing out of the deal besides a free degree that had marginal value. If it was me, I'd take the $10m every day of the week and hire some chick with a BA in english lit to read me bedtime stories.

ETA to this, what should be required reading.
Flynn became a victim of an unlikely injury and then a casualty of unfortunate circumstance. It would be nearly impossible to replicate the scenario that derailed his career.

This is Boeheim trying to convince Ennis to come back. He's prepared for Grant to leave- McCullough, Roberson, BJ, but if Ennis goes it puts the PG position into new hands for a 4th year in a row. JB ain't no dummy.

I've said this every time these threads pop up, the way the NBA works you leave when your draft value is at its highest. For most players that means leaving too early instead of too late because the league loves that word potential. I don't think it's a sound strategy and it's part of the reason why some NBA teams consistently suck, but it is what it is.

I think Grant is a lock to leave and if Ennis follows, he has my support. As this season has shown, a lot can happen to a guy's draft status and if he's assured of going in the lottery, I don't see much that changes next year to risk a return. Let's just bring home a title first.

My guess is JB would of course want Ennis back, but if he gets a solid lottery grade, he would tell him to leave.

Flynn was a fine rookie NBA PG for a 20 year old put in a horrible system with zero vet talent around him. What's Kurt Rambis up to these days?

Then his hip imploded. Or would you rather he blow out his hip as a senior at SU and get nothing out of the deal besides a free degree that had marginal value. If it was me, I'd take the $10m every day of the week and hire some chick with a BA in english lit to read me bedtime stories.

A guy like Flynn is an argument for leaving. What if the hip injury happens when he's in school?

I agree with that. We've seen Ennis struggle some lately and I think the grind might be starting to effect him a bit. He is undersized for a typical NBA PG, his scoring is sufficient at this level but likely needs to improve, and he may be "too steady" if that makes any sense. The NBA is always looking for explosiveness and guys will to take risks (shots, passes, defense, etc). Ennis is crafty, but I don't know how well that translates to the NBA right now. If he was 6'5", it's a different story.

For those who don't want to do the research, who are the ones out of the league?

Royce White
Fab

Just looking at the 1st rounders over the last two years, most of these guys are still playing, but either they're providing small contributions to the team or their careers have included stops in the D League.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NBA_draft
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NBA_draft

JB's comment about 1st rounders isn't accurate, IMO, but the gist of what he's saying about developing your game so you're prepared to stick in the NBA is on the mark.

Here is where JB is wrong about the last two years though- name the 4-year guys who are contributing meaningful minutes to their teams other than Lillard? Are the next best Seniors Tyler Zeller and the Plumlees? So the argument isn't that staying 4 years makes you a better player.

A lot has to do with system and fit (along with opportunity like MCW has), but even a strong contributor like Sullinger fell in the draft when he returned to school.

If Ennis comes back our team is beyond stacked. Fair is gone for sure, and I think Grant is gone as well.

PG-Ennis, Joseph
SG-Cooney, Bjnije, Johnson, Patterson
SF-Roberson
PF-McCollough
C- Christmas, Coleman, Obokoh

Yeah that team is pretty stacked, and if Grant comes back we will be preseason top 3.

If Grant and Ennis are back... Im not sure how we arent #1.

Without Grant... we have a lot to prove on how we will score points.

I think a comparison for Ennis could be Trey Burke... He came back and helped himself out in the draft.

I think a comparison for Ennis could be Trey Burke... He came back and helped himself out in the draft.
Burke wasn't really a pick in the NBA draft in 2012. He barely dented the top 50. Ennis, right now, is a top-15 pick if he chooses to go.

I'll never say someone should not go to the NBA. It's their dream and if a team makes it known that they'll take you in the draft, you go. That said, I would be ecstatic if both Grant and Ennis (both or either) come back in 2014-15.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom