Boeheim RE: Ennis & NBA | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim RE: Ennis & NBA

I think the NBA is getting tired of it. That's why less and less money goes to rookie contracts after every time they update the collective bargaining agreement. The league would love to have better trained, more mature players, but it's kind of like baseball owners not trusting each other (because it would be collusion) - "somebody's going to take him, it might as well be me!"

Yeah I am sure the GM's of the league would love to have more time to evaluate players before drafting them, but that isn't the case, so they have to deal with the system they have.
I don't see Ennis ever really coming out of the draft as a guy a GM wants to build around, and I can't see Grant as a top 5 pick next year if he comes back.

The three point line further out opens the floor more as well. Better shooters all all positions opens the lane up more as well.

One part of his game I thought MCW would have changed was taking bad shots as he has better shooters around him. Unfortunately he still takes shots he shouldn't. Not bashing him as he is my second favorite NBA player but with his skill set there is no reason he shouldn't be averaging 10-12 assists a game. Even at his age and at this point of the year. No excuse he's taking 20 shots or more a game.

Yeah, Philly fans are starting to get on him a little bit about his shot selection, but in his defense, his teammates have been shooting around 20% from the field lately lol. Their FG% as a team has plummeted (MCW's included) with each passing month. MCW is taking the same # of shots as he has any other month this year, and he's actually cut down on his turnovers (up until the 5 or so games he's played this month). Personally, I think he's just fine. I think he'll always be a guy that doesn't hesitate to shoot, and I think he'll improve his shot/finishing ability in the next couple of years.

Seriously?

Flynn was a fine rookie NBA PG for a 20 year old put in a horrible system with zero vet talent around him. What's Kurt Rambis up to these days?

Then his hip imploded. Or would you rather he blow out his hip as a senior at SU and get nothing out of the deal besides a free degree that had marginal value. If it was me, I'd take the $10m every day of the week and hire some chick with a BA in english lit to read me bedtime stories.

ETA to this, what should be required reading.
Gee thanks, but seriously, injury or not, potential or not, he's another example of a SU player fizzling out in the NBA. Doesn't reflect well on the program developing NBA talent--we already have an iffy reputation in that department.

I haven't seen MCW play much in the NBA. But one aspect of his game I really loved was when someone picked his pocket he doubled his effort on defense and usually stole the ball back from the same guy. I have not seen many players have that tenacity in that situation. It seemed like MCW did that a lot last year. I just like how competitive he was even with the mistakes.

Another big difference between MCW and Ennis is when MCW drove to the lane he was going to end the play with a hard dunk. Ennis is more a finger roll type player. I like Ennis a lot. I think he's awesome. There were a lot of times when I would cringe with MCW. But with Ennis, he so good handling the ball it's amazing in itself.

Yeah, it was almost like he could steal the ball any time he wanted, but just didn't bother unless he made a mistake on the first end. I've never seen anything quite like it. Ennis has surprisingly great hands for stripping guys too, but MCW could do it in the open court. I still remember Yogi Ferrell trying to push the ball in the game last year and MCW just took it from him while Yogi was going full speed at mid-court and just walked down to the other end of the floor and laid it in. He was a really special defender.

What makes him a top 5 pick next year if he comes back? If his jumper doesn't improve he'll be in Donte Greene territory when it comes to the draft, and if he's there he should stay for his senior year, he does that he's in CJ Fair draft territory.

The NBA drafts players based on potential a majority time when it comes to the lottery, he stays and doesn't improve it begins to look like he's close to maxing out his potential and if he improves just a little bit and his jumper is still garbage he made a huge mistake by staying.

You need to start to understand that it's not only about draft position. For players who are good enough to get drafted for certain, it becomes about, "what do you have to work on to be ready to stick to a roster and earn a second contract." The rookie pay scale keeps going down. Rookie contracts do not set you up for life. You need to get to your second contract in order to be financially secure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom