Boeheimium Rhapsody | Syracusefan.com

Boeheimium Rhapsody

Cuseregular

Hall of Fame
Go see it. One of the best movies I've seen in years if not ever.

And I'm not even a queen "fan" as it just wasn't my type of music and the lead singers over the top persona was kind of off putting (and something I had to get beyond in the movie). Sure I remember the music mostly for its sports uses back in the day, but the wife (the artist in the family) loves the band and Freddy mercurys talent and versatility so we went on opening night to a packed house.

High emotions in the theater to say the least. Gotta imagine this is going to be a huge word of mouth movie and have legs with Oscar nominations and the like. Forget the music for a second the movie is a absolute success as a pure drama capturing the human condition, frustrations, family dynamics and accomplishments of all involved from the band members to family and friends. But it also applies universally well beyond the immediate topic and characters.

The ending was such an over the top unbelievable musical performance of both band and fans that having never seen it I thought no way it could have possibly been true and happened as shown, so afterwards I went back and found it. It's the one and only time I can ever recall in a movie that if anything they underplayed it. It was truly amazing and I now have a greater appreciation for the music.

What a great and moving movie experience, see it.

Last edited:
I hated them as a kid and teen, was always a metal guy. Then at some point in my twenties I had a moment when I said “oh man these guys are amazing”. Can’t wait to see it.

Freddie gets most the love, but Brian May might be the most underrated guitarist ever. Outside of guitar players that is.

And, as some, but not many know, May has a PhD in Astrophysics, and has an asteroid named after him.

I believe he even made one of the guitars he plays.

Red Special - Wikipedia

Brian%20May%20-%20Special%20MK%202%20-%202006.jpg

I hated them as a kid and teen, was always a metal guy. Then at some point in my twenties I had a moment when I said “oh man these guys are amazing”. Can’t wait to see it.

Freddie gets most the love, but Brian May might be the most underrated guitarist ever. Outside of guitar players that is.
Friend had same reaction, said we should see it in iMax or rpx format, so that's what we're gonna do for round two this week sometime.

interesting its getting panned by so many for not really telling the true story because the toned it down to a pg-13

got to see it and it was worth it.. i know of the big songs but thats about it.. but i thought this was a very powerful telling and the songs played it well.

got to see it and it was worth it.. i know of the big songs but thats about it.. but i thought this was a very powerful telling and the songs played it well.
Amen this has been the universal reaction of those I know who have seen it. It's really, for the lack of better phrase, a celebration of the human spirit and is a story of the human condition as much as it is about music, and obviously the music of queen.

Just back from a second viewing, just as good as the first, and for the first time in our lives with any movie, we will go back for a third time (full disclosure we missed the imax show we wanted to see, the ending of this movie alone is worth the price of admission and will be of the charts cool in the imax format).

that ending scene was crazy how much i looked like the real thing. also pretty cool how it was the first thing they filmed and really made them feel they could pull off the whole movie

that ending scene was crazy how much i looked like the real thing. also pretty cool how it was the first thing they filmed and really made them feel they could pull off the whole movie
ive not read up on anything yet re the making the movie. Never even heard of the lead actor, will be interesting to hear more about it being made, etc. as this thing takes flight in the weeks to come. Where did you read that on the initial scene?

he was on the tonight show talking about being in char and how much he studied up..

he is a good actor doing a great job on MR Robot. won an emmy for that role.

first time i saw him was in night at the museum

Go see it. One of the best movies I've seen in years if not ever.

And I'm not even a queen "fan" as it just wasn't my type of music and the lead singers over the top persona was kind of off putting (and something I had to get beyond in the movie). Sure I remember the music mostly for its sports uses back in the day, but the wife (the artist in the family) loves the band and Freddy mercurys talent and versatility so we went on opening night to a packed house.

High emotions in the theater to say the least. Gotta imagine this is going to be a huge word of mouth movie and have legs with Oscar nominations and the like. Forget the music for a second the movie is a absolute success as a pure drama capturing the human condition, frustrations, family dynamics and accomplishments of all involved from the band members to family and friends. But it also applies universally well beyond the immediate topic and characters.

The ending was such an over the top unbelievable musical performance of both band and fans that having never seen it I thought no way it could have possibly been true and happened as shown, so afterwards I went back and found it. It's the one and only time I can ever recall in a movie that if anything they underplayed it. It was truly amazing and I now have a greater appreciation for the music.

What a great and moving movie experience, see it.

wow, i could not disagree more. your opinion is valid but anyone trying to decide whether to see this film might want a counter take.

the movie is propped up by the re-creation of the live aid concert, but everything before that is crap. just horrible filmmaking - bad acting, bad writing, and everything on the screen screams "cheap." every character other than freddy is just a 2 dimensional cut out. no depth to any other band member, paul prenter was a cartoon level villain. and as for the wembley concert - just get the concert dvd and see the real thing!

two different couples got up & walked out, people were sniggering at the bad acting & poor production throughout. i predict in 5 years people are going to watch this thing as camp, if at all.

Last edited:
Might check it out when it streams/VODs. I gave up long ago on the idea of any biopic being reasonably accurate, so I'll just try to take it for what it is; generally some kind of visual spectacle made tenable by large screen format. The reviews I've read seem to complain about inaccurate timelines (Live Aid/AIDS revelation), Freddy being just a 2-dimensional gay party hound, no reference to his struggle with ethnic/racial identity, etc. Heard it wasn't as intermittently fictional as, say, Stone's Doors movie, though.

Last edited:
wow, i could not disagree more. your opinion is valid but anyone trying to decide whether to see this film might want a counter take.

the movie is propped up by the re-creation of the live aid concert, but everything before that is crap. just horrible filmmaking - bad acting, bad writing, and everything on the screen screams "cheap." every character other than freddy is just a 2 dimensional cut out. no depth to any other band member, paul prenter was a cartoon level villain. and as for the wembley concert - just get the concert dvd and see the real thing!

two different couples got up & walked out, people were sniggering at the bad acting & poor production throughout. i predict in 5 years people are going to watch this thing as camp, if at all.
I’m in the 92% you’re in the 8% simple as that.
Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)
Isn’t this a Great country or what when you can love su sports but disagree on other things. Hope to see you back at ot land.

I’m in the 92% you’re in the 8% simple as that.
Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)
Isn’t this a Great country or what when you can love su sports but disagree on other things. Hope to see you back at ot land.
i'll see your appeal to consensus and self-selected sample and raise you by identifying with elite opinion
2018-11-19_10-55-57.jpg

the elite opinion is vastly different than the theatre i was at.. lively discussion on the way out about how enjoyable it was. i dont know how to tell bad acting if people are acting just like the people they were trying to be? werent 2 of the members the source material on the movie?

from what i read the things that most of the elite reviewers didnt like is exactly what the mainstream people liked and being an elite rewiewer doesnt really make you a movie critic of any note.

a movie that cost 50 million has now made 398 million.. thats bonkers. a good chance it makes another 50million plus.

and after watching the concert part and the real thing that nailed that incredibly well

the elite opinion is vastly different than the theatre i was at.. lively discussion on the way out about how enjoyable it was. i dont know how to tell bad acting if people are acting just like the people they were trying to be? werent 2 of the members the source material on the movie?

from what i read the things that most of the elite reviewers didnt like is exactly what the mainstream people liked and being an elite rewiewer doesnt really make you a movie critic of any note.

a movie that cost 50 million has now made 398 million.. thats bonkers. a good chance it makes another 50million plus.

and after watching the concert part and the real thing that nailed that incredibly well
who would of thought that Moqui would be part of the liberal elite haters.....;)

I knew so little of queens stuff going in that i knew of the songs but not who actually sang them other than maybe 2-3.

So I got my son into Queen, he loves their music and wants to see the movie.

I tend to let him watch more PG-13 than he probably should at his age (coming up on 10) , but the story of that band screams no to me. I was shocked this story wasn’t R.

Was it just about the music, is that how they kept it PG-13?

I knew so little of queens stuff going in that i knew of the songs but not who actually sang them other than maybe 2-3.
Wow.

If I had to guess...Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd and because their sound is so unique AC/DC are all bands that everyone who ever went to a bar, a gym or put on the radio ..would easily know 20 or more songs without even thinking.

And Another 20 just because.

next on that list would be bands like Fleetwood Mac, Chicago, U2, Guns n Roses, Metallica and Queen...etc.

Where u should know 10...and then another 10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom