Booking plane tickets | Syracusefan.com

Booking plane tickets

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
What engines do you use when searching for plane tickets?

Kayak? Priceline?

Heading to New Orleans in 30 days. Booked ticket last night (a lot more expensive than I hoped) so just curious how others tackle travel!

Skiplagged is cool. Does Southwest still not show up on Kayak searches and such?

google flights --> then book i usually book with the airline, but many travel hackers use orbitz (i believe the tickets may be refundable that way or something)

I’ve gotten good deals on Alaska airlines too depending on where you’re going from

The Flight Deal is a good website for sales.

They provide directions to use the ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search which is a really good search engine for flights. I use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search for all on my research and then will buy my flight (typically) directly from the airline. What's really helpful is that Flight Deal provides the advanced routing details to make it more likely you'll find the flight deal they are mentioning.

I don't have much luck with deal sites. I typically use expedia to do the research and then buy from the airlines' website directly.

Kayak? Priceline?

Heading to New Orleans in 30 days. Booked ticket last night (a lot more expensive than I hoped) so just curious how others tackle travel!

I used to use Kayak but Google Flights seems to be the best nowadays. Southwest doesn't show up on either so you still have to manually check them out. Let me know if you need any Nola help. Favorite city in the country by far and have been about 20 times and will be there for New Years.

Last edited:
I used to use Kayak but Google Flights seems to be the best nowadays. Southwest doesn't show up on either so you still have to manually check them out. Let me need any Nola help. Favorite city in the country by far and have been about 20 times and will be there for New Years.

I can provide some PG insight on Nola as well. Spent a great 2/3 days last year after the LSU game with wife and two boys (7 and 4 at the time). We all loved it.

Kayak? Priceline?

Found my recommendations for everyone for the LSU game last year. Few differences nowadays. Kentons closed so no more early bourbon hour. Few more breweries have popped up. Parleaux Brew Lab is a block from The Joint and about 100 yards from Bacchanal.

Been to Nola at least a dozen times, had my bachelor party there, my 30th bday (Bills game at the Saints was on the exact day) and even named my dog Nola. Just weathered Irma there for 6 days last week and here is my list of places for everyone to check out while you're there...

Bourbon St - Just do it one night with a Hurricane from Pat O'Briens and a Hand Grenade from Tropical Isle and take it all in just so that you can say you have. Pretty much every bar with live music playing will let you walk in with drinks from other places. A veteran move is to just grab beers at one of the stores or bring them from your hotel with you and crack them as your walking and can avoid paying $6-7 each. Pretty much any of the little shops will have coolers with singles available. Good way to try out the craft scene as most of the Bourbon bars have garbage taps with just the big national crap along with maybe an Abita or 2.

Frenchman St - Slightly less touristy than Bourbon St, home to a bunch of Jazz bars. Can walk from the French Quarter as its in Marigny, right next door to the Quarter.

BBQ - Its the south and home to a couple really, really great BBQ spots. Central City BBQ is pretty new and is outstanding. Has the best smoked wings I've ever had and they are only 50 cents during happy hour and can wash them down with a $1 High Life. The Joint is the Nola standard for BBQ. Its located in the Bywater which is about 2 miles outside of the Quarter and the Brisket is the best I've had outside of Texas.

Parasol's - Great dive bar with arguably the best Roast Beef Po'Boy in the city. Their Red Beans & Rice are absurdly good as well. Place is ran by a guy named Billy (big dude with a ponytail) that is from Rochester. Super nice guy that you can talk to forever.

Fat Harry's - For my fellow Bills fans, this is the Bills bar in Nola. The wings are surprisingly good, real good actually. There is usually a crowd of 70 or so watching games. Don't forget that they start at noon. Fat Harry's is also great on Mondays for MNF as their wings and pitchers are half priced during the game. Its in the Garden District and you can either drive like 3 miles or there is a streetcar stop right outside.

Oysters - Blind Pelican has happy hour 7 nights a week from 4 to 8. $3 for a dozen raw oysters or $10 for a dozen chargrilled with the purchase of a drink. Both are a helluva deal. Kentons has an awesome whiskey/oyster happy hour too, don't remember the exact days/hours but its a nicer place and pretty great.

Breweries - They are just really starting to get after it. 2 of the bigger ones that are close to downtown are NOLA and Urban South. Urban South has a hazy IPA called Jucifer that is pretty damn good. If you have a rental car and want to check out some other places, than you can drive like 45 mins out to Abita Springs to the Abita Brewery which is the original Louisiana craft brewery. If you do their free tour than you get 5 mins behind their bar with like 20+ taps before and after the tour, its pretty great.

For those coming with a girlfriend/wife, can't recommend Bacchanal enough. It's 1 block away from The Joint and is probably the best date night I can imagine for a pair. Shovel brisket in your face and then head over to Bacchanal. Its sort of hard to describe, you walk in the door and it's a wine store and you pick a bottle and then go into the fridge and pick a couple cheeses and go to the register. You hand them your cheese selection and they give you a number to display on your table outside. You go outside with your bottle of wine, grab a couple glasses and pick a table out in the courtyard where there is a big stage and live Jazz being played multiple times per night. Then your cheeses come out as a full cheese plate with all the extras to go with it. Its literally my wifes favorite place in the country and is always what I use as an excuse to go back to NOLA and to go to the Joint.

Other than that, all I can say is definitely don't spend the entire time on Bourbon and in the French Quarter. Go check out Marigny, Bywater and the Garden District to see/eat a much more authentic NOLA. I can answer most questions if you have any about places to check out.

Found my recommendations for everyone for the LSU game last year. Few differences nowadays. Kentons closed so no more early bourbon hour. Few more breweries have popped up. Parleaux Brew Lab is a block from The Joint and about 100 yards from Bacchanal.
Yeah I am down Nov 16-18 for a bachelor party! Haha.

Yeah I am down Nov 16-18 for a bachelor party! Haha.

You're gonna get stuck on bourbon the whole time then probably. The joint, parleaux and bacchanal is a good start to a night then still end up on bourbon late. Like a $6 uber away.

Google Flights
Skyscanner
Hopper as an app

I never touch Priceline for anything....they always build in weird fees that get lumped in with taxes, they're tricky!