Bowl Misfortune | Syracusefan.com

Bowl Misfortune

blue&orange

Scout Team
Although I'm not thrilled with the match up against West Virginia, it could be so much worse for Syracuse. A few teams that had some misfortune today...

1. LA Tech- turned down a bowl in hopes for a better one and lost out and are in the dark
2. Oklahoma- lost a BCS bid to the system and N. Illinois
3. Florida St. - ACC champs have to play a MAC school in the Orange Bowl
4. N. Illinois- is on the hook for 17,500 tickets which will result in a huge financial loss (see UCONN Fiesta Bowl)
5. Pitt- has to travel back to Birmingham for a third year in a row
6. Cincy- 9-3 season and their reward is Duke

Did I leave anybody out?

Pretty good summary.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Although I'm not thrilled with the match up against West Virginia, it could be so much worse for Syracuse. A few teams that had some misfortune today...

1. LA Tech- turned down a bowl in hopes for a better one and lost out and are in the dark - Stupidity
2. Oklahoma- lost a BCS bid to the system and N. Illinois Oklahoma is waaaay overrated
3. Florida St. - ACC champs have to play a MAC school in the Orange Bowl Fl State barely beat a 6-6 team and are lucky to be in a BCS game to begin with
4. N. Illinois- is on the hook for 17,500 tickets which will result in a huge financial loss (see UCONN Fiesta Bowl) They also have 17 million reasons to be happy...plus this is huge for recruiting. they will survive somehow
5. Pitt- has to travel back to Birmingham for a third year in a row F Pitt (and again while I am at it)
6. Cincy- 9-3 season and their reward is Duke They knew the opponent and could have turned them down

Did I leave anybody out?

Yes forgot how lucky ND is for being in the title game

1. LA Tech- turned down a bowl in hopes for a better one and lost out and are in the dark
4. N. Illinois- is on the hook for 17,500 tickets which will result in a huge financial loss (see UCONN Fiesta Bowl)

Did I leave anybody out?

The LA Tech situation should be grounds for AD dismissal.

Yes forgot how lucky ND is for being in the title game

Only undefeated team makes the national championship game - stop the presses. They caught a really lucky break there.

IF NIU can't sell a boatload of tickets to the Orange Bowl, shame on them. The UConn team that made it sucked, the fans knew they sucked, AND their fans thought their program was on the rise and they'd have another chance to go to a BCS bowl they had a chance to win in a few years, max. If you're an NIU fan, you know this is almost certainly the ONLY shot you're ever going to get...gotta get your tickets and hope for a BoiseSt-like miracle.

Only undefeated team makes the national championship game - stop the presses. They caught a really lucky break there.

They were a chip shot FG away from losing to Pitt. They got extremely lucky.

does NIU get 17 mill or is it split up like most leagues.

BFD. Plenty of teams that have made it to the national championship game have had a game with a "lucky" break. Outside of Notre Dame people just consider it the breaks of the game, somehow with ND it turns into "luck of the Irish" bullshit. Seriously, people's hatred of Notre Dame turns them into functions s.

Yeah there should be an asterisk next to the 12-0*. Should we put one next to Cuse too for having to score late against USF?

BFD. Plenty of teams that have made it to the national championship game have had a game with a "lucky" break. Outside of Notre Dame people just consider it the breaks of the game, somehow with ND it turns into "luck of the Irish" bullshit. Seriously, people's hatred of Notre Dame turns them into functions Tristans.

We will find out in about 2 years when they actually play this game. ND is smoke and mirrors. This whole ND lovefest makes me want to freaking puke. If they win I will be the first one on thie board to post congratulations and eat crow. It aint happening. Saban knows he got lucky and has the matchup he wants as opposed to playing Oregon or Florida.

BFD. Plenty of teams that have made it to the national championship game have had a game with a "lucky" break. Outside of Notre Dame people just consider it the breaks of the game, somehow with ND it turns into "luck of the Irish" bullshit. Seriously, people's hatred of Notre Dame turns them into functions Tristans.
Okay, how about the Stanford game. Stanford scored twice at the end.

i have zero problem playing a rivalry game in a bowl game i can travel to. i feel for the kids who wanted something new, but big picture, no problem.

Pitt - 3rd visit, but first without an interim coach
How does a 5-6 team (2nd FCS win doesn't count) even qualify for a bowl game?

Cincy - 8-3 (2nd FCS win doesn't count)

Pitt - 3rd visit, but first without an interim coach
How does a 5-6 team (2nd FCS win doesn't count) even qualify for a bowl game?

Cincy - 8-3 (2nd FCS win doesn't count)

Pits wins only 1 FCS, they other FCS they lost
VA Tech (ACC)
Gardner Webb (FCS)
Buffalo (MAC)
Temple (BE)
Rutgers (BE)
SFLA (BE)

Cincy still qualifies

split it

Yep, the big winners are the other MAC schools who get some more cash in their Christmas stocking without having to pay a nickel.

Pinstripe execs must be really happy. Actual eastern team representing Big XII who has played in NYC for all sports for years, BE rep who has proven to bring fans and is located in same state, and instant storylines for matchup with there being previous rivalry/conference mates.

IF NIU can't sell a boatload of tickets to the Orange Bowl, shame on them. The UConn team that made it sucked, the fans knew they sucked, AND their fans thought their program was on the rise and they'd have another chance to go to a BCS bowl they had a chance to win in a few years, max. If you're an NIU fan, you know this is almost certainly the ONLY shot you're ever going to get...gotta get your tickets and hope for a BoiseSt-like miracle.
People hate ND because they get preferential treatment and are often playing in bowls they don't deserve. Thats why they always get their ass kicked in bowl games because they are in over their heads I will say they earned the title shot this year but their going to get trashed

Pits wins only 1 FCS, they other FCS they lost
You're right.

It must feel great to pay Youngstown State to come in and beat you.
Mizzou must have similar feelings. :)

Did I leave anybody out?

The only team on that list that I feel bad for is LA Tech. How does a 9-3 team from any league in FBS end up with no bowl game when lots of 6-6 teams (and at least one 6-7 team) made bowl games?

I put Cincy in the same boat as SU... neither of them won their games against Rutgers (Cincy lost 10-3 at home). Cincy also blew a chance against Louisville in OT. Win either of those games, and they're playing in the Sugar Bowl.

If either team had won their games against Rutgers, their fortunes would be different. As many others have said regarding SU, they got what they deserved (you are who you beat and who you lost to).

A lot of schools that won the NC have had luck like that, just look at the Ohio State teams games the year they beat Miami.

A lot of schools that won the NC have had luck like that, just look at the Ohio State teams games the year they beat Miami.
Tenn needed a lucky pass interference call to win theirs

The only team on that list that I feel bad for is LA Tech. How does a 9-3 team from any league in FBS end up with no bowl game when lots of 6-6 teams (and at least one 6-7 team) made bowl games?

I put Cincy in the same boat as SU... neither of them won their games against Rutgers (Cincy lost 10-3 at home). Cincy also blew a chance against Louisville in OT. Win either of those games, and they're playing in the Sugar Bowl.

If either team had won their games against Rutgers, their fortunes would be different. As many others have said regarding SU, they got what they deserved (you are who you beat and who you lost to).

LA Tech's AD turned down the Independence Bowl offer. Was waiting on the Liberty Bowl, but the domino effect of Oklahoma out of the BCS resulted in Iowa State in the Liberty. By that time the Independence Bowl had moved on, as they should have. Bad move by the AD in a conference that had only 1 automatic tie in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom