Bowl Swag | Syracusefan.com

Bowl Swag

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Since 2006, Sports Business Journal has tracked what gifts college football bowl committees have provided to the participants of their respective games. Over the past few years, the majority of committees have opted to provide players with an opportunity to select items from a pop-up store, or gift suite, that is set up on campus or in the bowl’s host city prior to the game. The NCAA allows the committees to provide each participant with gifts totaling a combined maximum value of $550.

Camping World Bowl
Dec. 28, 5:15 p.m. (ESPN)
West Virginia vs. Syracuse
Orlando (Camping World Stadium)

■ $400 Best Buy gift card; Ogio backpack with luggage tag; Fossil watch

Electronics rise to the top of bowl gifts this season

So bizarre that its NCAA legal to do this considering their other dumb rules.
Because it goes to everyone on whichever team makes that particular bowl, not “we’ll only give something to X team if they make it.” I’m like 90% sure b-ball tournaments started this by giving out watches way, way back in the day. There’s just a lot more stuff and it’s more expensive. It wouldn’t surprise me, though, if there’s an upper limit set by the NCAA.

Because it goes to everyone on whichever team makes that particular bowl, not “we’ll only give something to X team if they make it.” I’m like 90% sure b-ball tournaments started this by giving out watches way, way back in the day. There’s just a lot more stuff and it’s more expensive. It wouldn’t surprise me, though, if there’s an upper limit set by the NCAA.
You mean like, oh I don’t know - $550?

Unless every student on the campus gets the gifts, it is an impermissible benefit or so I have been taught by a few decades of NCAA persecution of Syracuse and other non-anointed programs.

Unless every student on the campus gets the gifts, it is an impermissible benefit or so I have been taught by a few decades of NCAA persecution of Syracuse and other non-anointed programs.
No. It's a momento of participation specifically authorized by NCAA rules. B-ball holiday tournaments have been giving out watches since forever. Nuance can be a PITA sometimes.

No. It's a momento of participation specifically authorized by NCAA rules. B-ball holiday tournaments have been giving out watches since forever. Nuance can be a PITA sometimes.
Right, but catch a ride back to your dorm from a donor, and it's lights out.