Bowls have gotten out of control | Syracusefan.com

Bowls have gotten out of control

cto

Administrator
Of the 44 bowls, I've never heard of 25 of them. The Jimmy Kimmel Bowl? The Cricket Celebration Bowl? Why is a bowl named after Jimmy Kimmel... and why does it feature a Power-Five team?

And is the Cricket Celebration Bowl celebrating small chirpy insects ... or a Commonwealth sport that no one in the U.S understands?

Last edited:
Would be amazing for this board to raise $300K for the rights to the SyracuseFan.com Bowl... Syracuse may not make a bowl, but this would be funny as hell for teams to have to play that one.

Of the 44 bowls, I've never heard of 25 of them. The Jimmy Kimmel Bowl? The Cricket Celebration Bowl? Why is a bowl named after Jimmy Kimmel... and why does it feature a Power-Five team?

And is the Cricket Celebration Bowl celebrating small chirpy insects ... of a Commonwealth sport that no one in the U.S understands?

Or is it the cellphone company?

And is the Cricket Celebration Bowl celebrating small chirpy insects ... of a Commonwealth sport that no one in the U.S understands?

Bowls are an economic engine and are financed by advertising. A bowl is needed in the dome. Maybe every FBS team should go to a bowl at this point. If you have a meager season, you get a meager bowl. A Christmas present in every stocking.

The Orange played hard and won some good games this season, why shouldn't they go to some bowl?

Don't stress over it once the playoff gets expanded most of these bowls are all going away

After SU fell out of bowl contention, I stopped looking for bowl projections.

But since this has become a tradition, here is a link for what 'yellow pad guy' came up with for this year:

Last edited:
Don't stress over it once the playoff gets expanded most of these bowls are all going away
Why? If people would get over the idea that bowls are a privilege for some "big" programs and accept them for what they are, one more game as a reward for how well the team played the season Also the bowls can be very good games to watch as the teams are usually close to equal and there are less referee shenanigans going on because you're not playing for anything more. The bowl season is the best part of the college football season for people who really enjoy college football. If you have the playoffs, those teams are group A, then the major bowls group B and so on. College football relegation. The advertisers will still want the bowls to go on.

The Orange played hard and won some good games this season, why shouldn't they go to some bowl?
Because we had a losing season against a lousy schedule, the final three games of which we were man-handled. I'm all about participation trophies for little kids to make them feel good but come on this is big-time college sports. There are winners and losers.

Because we had a losing season against a lousy schedule, the final three games of which we were man-handled. I'm all about participation trophies for little kids to make them feel good but come on this is big-time college sports. There are winners and losers.
Participation trophies are what America is all about. It's the new normal. How many of the teams with winning records played schedules as difficult as Syracuse did? Not all of them, that's for sure. Lowering the bar would be good for the new level of expectations for Syracuse football.

Participation trophies are what America is all about. It's the new normal. How many of the teams with winning records played schedules as difficult as Syracuse did? Not all of them, that's for sure. Lowering the bar would be good for the new level of expectations for Syracuse football.

Trolling again?

And is the Cricket Celebration Bowl celebrating small chirpy insects ... or a Commonwealth sport that no one in the U.S understands?

The Celebration Bowl is sponsored by Cricket Wireless and features the champions of the MEAC and SWAC conferences, two HBCUs. The conferences will get more money from this bowl than they would by sending their champions to the NCAA FCS playoffs.

You only say this because you don't have to deal with empty hotel rooms or restaurant tables. Why else would anyone go to Shreveport in December? As has been said many times here, ESPN always needs new content and these bowl games are pretty cheap (to ESPN) sources of it. Would you rather watch 3 repeats of the previous night's SportsCenter or a live football game from 11 AM to 2 PM on Dec 29?

Why? If people would get over the idea that bowls are a privilege for some "big" programs and accept them for what they are, one more game as a reward for how well the team played the season Also the bowls can be very good games to watch as the teams are usually close to equal and there are less referee shenanigans going on because you're not playing for anything more. The bowl season is the best part of the college football season for people who really enjoy college football. If you have the playoffs, those teams are group A, then the major bowls group B and so on. College football relegation. The advertisers will still want the bowls to go on.
I agree the Bowls are the best part of the season. The expanded playoff to 12 teams is going to kill those games as the corporate sponsors and advertisers will bolt the bowl games and funnel the money into the playoff games where people actually watch and where the eyeballs are. Business 101

My post had nothing to do with the enjoyment of watching bowl games and unique match-ups, just where the sport is headed. Which is an expanded playoff and the Duke's Mayo Bowl (and bowls like that) dying overnight!

The Celebration Bowl is sponsored by Cricket Wireless and features the champions of the MEAC and SWAC conferences, two HBCUs. The conferences will get more money from this bowl than they would by sending their champions to the NCAA FCS playoffs.

You only say this because you don't have to deal with empty hotel rooms or restaurant tables. Why else would anyone go to Shreveport in December? As has been said many times here, ESPN always needs new content and these bowl games are pretty cheap (to ESPN) sources of it. Would you rather watch 3 repeats of the previous night's SportsCenter or a live football game from 11 AM to 2 PM on Dec 29?
Agree. We always have a game on while we're playing a game or doing a puzzle. As you say it's better than SportsCenter repeats.

I'd much rather watch "The Johnny Carson Bowl"

But why are those my only choices in today's world? I'd rather see what's on the TNT Movies for Men marathon then watch EMU vs SDSU is the Hoopers Used Tire bowl. That doesn't mean I don't catch a few good ACC bowls and maybe a NY6 or two but the majority are just not that interesting.

But why are those my only choices in today's world? I'd rather see what's on the TNT Movies for Men marathon then watch EMU vs SDSU is the Hoopers Used Tire bowl. That doesn't mean I don't catch a few good ACC bowls and maybe a NY6 or two but the majority are just not that interesting.
To us, yes because we have ties to ACC schools. If you're a fan of Toledo or Middle Tennessee, you care about the Bahamas Bowl and not the Cheez-It Bowl in Orlando (with its side trips to Disney "for the family") or the Fenway Bowl at 11 AM on the Dec 29. As has been asked on just about every message board of every school, "Why are people objecting to having more college football games to watch?"

Guessing the Douchebag Bowl was already trademarked so Jimmy had to revert to using his own name.

I completely misread the post title as "bowels" and was afraid to click to read but did so out of morbid curiosity.
Oh just admit you thought you could get some advice for those morning issues.
To us, yes because we have ties to ACC schools. If you're a fan of Toledo or Middle Tennessee, you care about the Bahamas Bowl and not the Cheez-It Bowl in Orlando (with its side trips to Disney "for the family") or the Fenway Bowl at 11 AM on the Dec 29.
But how many fans to Toledo and MTSU really have? Are those fans going to be engaged in other conference bowls? Seems eyes on the TVs would diminish greatly outside of the P5. That being said, serious question and I'm too lazy to look it up myself but how many bowls don't involve the P5? Maybe it's not as many as I think.