Bowls Have No Juice... | Syracusefan.com

Bowls Have No Juice...

Ish88888

All American
Not talking about the CWB specifically although its included a bit. But , this year, the lack of importance and juice in these bowls id GLARING. ironically, the BCS system preserved the top 8-10 Bowls better than the current system.

There was always that subjective chance of the top 6-8 teams having a subjective shot at being considered based on their bowl performance. the current system is a mess with the national semis being played a few days before these NY6 bowls. its soooo backwards, like, the NFL championship games being played before the wildcard round. its stupid and fhe empty seats on new years day are a huge indicator.

Of course, we all want an 8 team playoff. With players being put on the shelf for NFL futures or transfer situations and teams showing up unmotivated, bc they had top 4 aspirations, its making for some rough viewing.

97F616FD-D9A9-48ED-B873-DB8099B6100E.jpeg

Not talking about the CWB specifically although its included a bit. But , this year, the lack of importance and juice in these bowls id GLARING. ironically, the BCS system preserved the top 8-10 Bowls better than the current system.

There was always that subjective chance of the top 6-8 teams having a subjective shot at being considered based on their bowl performance. the current system is a mess with the national semis being played a few days before these NY6 bowls. its soooo backwards, like, the NFL championship games being played before the wildcard round. its stupid and fhe empty seats on new years day are a huge indicator.

Of course, we all want an 8 team playoff. With players being put on the shelf for NFL futures or transfer situations and teams showing up unmotivated, bc they had top 4 aspirations, its making for some rough viewing.

Yep. The 8 team playoff can't get here soon enough IMO, and hopefully the 16 team one after that. The FCS schools have a true playoff, and other than keeping the rich, richer, there isn't any significant reason for the FBS schools to do the same. With SU's program seemingly sailing in the right direction, and the future looking better in nearly two decades, I'd think every SU fan would be rooting for 16 as it appears this is something now sustainable for us.

I realize this year's bowl achievement was awesome, but I think a lot of this had to do with the fact that we have been MIA year in and year out for the most part. If 9 & 10 win seasons end up being more of the new normal for us, the garden variety bowl appearance will wear off a bit, but that wouldn't be the case if we were the 15th or 16th team in said playoff. Just my $.02.

Yep. The 8 team playoff can't get here soon enough IMO, and hopefully the 16 team one after that. The FCS schools have a true playoff, and other than keeping the rich, richer, there isn't any significant reason for the FBS schools to do the same. With SU's program seemingly sailing in the right direction, and the future looking better in nearly two decades, I'd think every SU fan would be rooting for 16 as it appears this is something now sustainable for us.

I realize this year's bowl achievement was awesome, but I think a lot of this had to do with the fact that we have been MIA year in and year out for the most part. If 9 & 10 win seasons end up being more of the new normal for us, the garden variety bowl appearance will wear off a bit, but that wouldn't be the case if we were the 15th or 16th team in said playoff. Just my $.02.

There's plenty of reason why, the "system remains the same" with the "blue bloods" maintaining there special "club".

Well, that's your opinion of course, however, you'd be in the minority from a national fan perspective. What is interesting, is that 4 teams is even considered a playoff when you look at how many schools play at that level.

Yes. I am one hundred percent aware that it’s not a popular opinion.

Great points. most of us were enamoured with the first significant bowl in years. again, these bowls are more the first game of the next year than an extension and reward for the season had and its sad. Kids sit out and the more i think about it, who can blame them.

Add in the dynamic of playing big bowls after the playoff games and it takes most of the JUICE away. Not a good look. Worst bowl season i can remember.

After these playoffs I have little interest in expanding the field further.

The playoffs have been a debacle. the semis havent been competitive. the bcs always got it right.

They should do a system where its a 10 game schedule thats pre set with times dates whos home whos away.then based on how seasons are going you have the comittee do the games for weeks 11 and 12, now it wouldnt be 1vs4 or somthing like that but all the teams would be ranked and playing each other. to be able to sell tickets and travel, not hard in advance since its 2 games 1 away and 1 home, before the season each the schedule will be home 11 away 12 or vise versa. this way you get rid of the super boring games in the playoff.

The comittee can put teams against each other where its a top 5 or top 10 game and its esencially win that game and your in. On the bowls, their should be no bowl comittee and people who make 6 figs running amateur bowl games. if its a 4 game playoff bowls should be 5v6 7v8 9v10 and so on, no bowls should be conference vs conference at least not NY6 games, having bowl games where the teams are ranked 1 apart, their will be more fans, more excitement and better games.

Just like the nfl playoffs, the bowl schedule should progressively get better, not the playoff a day off then NY6 games, should be the other way around. just my 2 cents, although unrealistic this eliminates the argument x is better than y, or so and so doesnt play anyone, another way could be grouo seperate from ncaa espn the commitee- 100% independent has tiers and if your in a certain tier than you can only play a team from that tier, than the next week that group redoes the tiers and you can only play teams from those tiers. LMK what you guys think,, if you agree

Last edited:
they should do a system where its a 10 game schedule thats pre set with times dates whos home whos away.then based on how seasons are going you have the comittee do the games for weeks 11 and 12, now it wouldnt be 1vs4 or somthing like that but all the teams would be ranked and playing each other. to be able to sell tickets and travel, not hard in advance since its 2 games 1 away and 1 home, before the season each the schedule will be home 11 away 12 or vise versa. this way you get rid of the super boring games in the playoff, and the comittee can put teams against each other where its a top 5 or top 10 game and its esencially win that game and your in. On the bowls, their should be no bowl comittee and people who make 6 figs running amateur bowl games. if its a 4 game playoff bowls should be 5v6 7v8 9v10 and so on, no bowls should be conference vs conference at least not NY6 games, having bowl games where the teams are ranked 1 apart, their will be more fans, more excitement and better games. just like the nfl playoffs, the bowl schedule should progressively get better, not the playoff a day off then NY6 games, should be the other way around. just my 2 cents, although unrealistic this eliminates the argument x is better than y, or so and so doesnt play anyone, another way could be grouo seperate from ncaa espn the commitee- 100% independent has tiers and if your in a certain tier than you can only play a team from that tier, than the next week that group redoes the tiers and you can only play teams from those tiers. LMK what you guys think,, if you agree
Paragraphs.

Bowls have no punch works too. English is a beautiful language.
Just be concerned if your punch doesn't have any juice(I mean what's in there?). And if your juice has a little punch then you should probably toss it.

people liked bowl season better when you binge on them all in one ro two days and cherry pick the good finishes as you go

old bowl seasons might've sucked too if they were spread over weeks, in the old days, we just flipped away from the duds.

I still like the bowls, especially with the playoff. Nice combo, where we have a shot to make the playoffs if we can knock off Clemson, but if not, can get a little more College football.

The problem is that the playoff is meaningful football and bowls have been even more exposed as exhibition games. I watch my team play and root like hell for them - but the rest - meh.

It's like the NIT.

The problem is that the playoff is meaningful football and bowls have been even more exposed as exhibition games. I watch my team play and root like hell for them - but the rest - meh.

It's like the NIT.
was anyone ever fooled before into thinking there were more than 2 bowls in a year that actually mattered for the national championship?

I like football. More football is a good thing. Tell me the kids playing for LSU and UCF, or Ohio State and Washington, we thinking their game was meaningless in the 4th quarter.

As Millhouse just said, there were never more than 2, maybe 3, bowl games that ever really mattered.

The playoffs have been a debacle. the semis havent been competitive. the bcs always got it right.

The last three title games have been epic sporting events -- two of them were decided on the last play of the game. And the overall #1 seed has never won it, so far.

I like football. More football is a good thing. Tell me the kids playing for LSU and UCF, or Ohio State and Washington, we thinking their game was meaningless in the 4th quarter.

As Millhouse just said, there were never more than 2, maybe 3, bowl games that ever really mattered.
all these bowl games in our lives and we haven't come close to a national championship, what are the odds, so unlucky

The problem is there is bama/Clemson and then everyone else.

I think you nailed it here. Not sure it would have made a huge difference in the semifinals with different teams but I could be wrong. I think Bama and Clemson are a cut above the rest.

A 16 team playoff really weakens the regular season to the point that it would damage the product. It would also make the conference title games pointless since in most cases the top 2 from each P5 would be in the playoff. With an 8 team playoff and auto bids to each conference chanpion, the ACC title game becomes the first round of a 16-team playoff. If the ACC could do away with divisions and just pick the 2 best teams this would be a perfect format.

I love bowl games. A couple weeks of college football on almost every day is wonderful. My company shuts down over the holidays I need football to watch at all times between Christmas and New Years.