Bracketology 1/23/13 | Syracusefan.com

Bracketology 1/23/13

Not for nothing but thats not a great bracket for us. BE teams know the zone pretty well, I know we rag on Uconn and others but id rather avoid playing in a bracket with them, Cincy, and others.

2nd round vs UConn...

That is a tasty match-up

Actually if that bracket played out right, we'd have a chance to be Big East champs...out of the east.

The hype on that game would be great but I don't see that ever coming true. They would never place an 8 seed from the East in the East. I can see them placing a UT or Cal team in the East bracket. Also the committee would never place 3 teams out of 5 total teams from the same conference (AAC) in the same bracket. Also 2 teams in the same bracket out of 4 total teams. Unless they were stuck. I think they just want the excitement to start occurring.

Providence is currently projected as a 12 seed - good for them. They are working with a completely ravaged roster and that would be an unbelievable accomplishment for our former Big East brethren.

id rather not see a big east team in 2nd round, too early in the tournament for any heated rivalry game.

The hype on that game would be great but I don't see that ever coming true. They would never place an 8 seed from the East in the East. I can see them placing a UT or Cal team in the East bracket. Also the committee would never place 3 teams out of 5 total teams from the same conference (AAC) in the same bracket. Also 2 teams in the same bracket out of 4 total teams. Unless they were stuck. I think they just want the excitement to start occurring.

Yeah, this is an illegal bracket if the "top 3 from 1 conference" rule applies. As for placing an 8-seeded East coast school seed in the East bracket, these things are much harder to control.

I want to stay away from michigan. Streaky team when they're on they can take anybody IMO

Yeah, this is an illegal bracket if the "top 3 from 1 conference" rule applies. As for placing an 8-seeded East coast school seed in the East bracket, these things are much harder to control.
The top 3 from 1 conference rules only applies if they are all top 4 seeds. I didn't know that until Jerry Palm tweeted it out when he had Pitt-Duke as 4-5 seeds in the same bracket earlier this week.

Also, almost every bracketology has Kansas State in our 8-9 game so I am going to have to start watching them play to see if they are legit threat if we get them 2nd round. I don't think UConn will end up as an 8 seed they will either move up or be right on the bubble.

I want to stay away from michigan. Streaky team when they're on they can take anybody IMO

I'd like to PLAY Michigan, as part of the revenge tour.

Agree--they are streaky, and surprisingly have been playing better since the loss of McGary.

Also, almost every bracketology has Kansas State in our 8-9 game so I am going to have to start watching them play to see if they are legit threat if we get them 2nd round. I don't think UConn will end up as an 8 seed they will either move up or be right on the bubble.
Not worried about KSU this year. They're a historically bad #25 team IMOIMO

Lunardi vs. Alsacs
Lunardi
West-Anaheim
1. Arizona
2. Kentucky
3. San Diego State
4. Iowa
5. UMass
East-New York
1. Syracuse
2. Villanova
3. Iowa State
4. Michigan
5. Cincinnati
Midwest-Indianapolis
1. Michigan State
2. Florida
3. Oklahoma State
4. Duke
5. Louisville
South-Memphis
1. Kansas
2. Wichita State
3. Wisconsin
4. Creighton
5. Pittsburgh

Alsacs-updated after Nova lost on Monday
West-Anaheim
1. Arizona
2. San Diego State
3. Wisconsin
4. Creighton
5. Memphis

East- New York
1. Syracuse
2. Florida
3. Iowa State
4. Michigan
5. UMass

Midwest-Indianapolis
1. Michigan State
2. Villanova
3. Kentucky
4. Oklahoma State
5. Duke

South-Memphis
1. Kansas
2. Wichita State
3. Iowa
4. Cincinnati
5. Pittsburgh

Its safe to say anybody with a decent brain and can logically look at the resumes can do this as good if not better than Lunardi who is made out to be some sort of genius.

1. That is false. In fact with 8/9, pod location is what matters not region. They will try to place 8/9 seeds as close to possible as the pod location without giving a homecourt advantage to an 8/9 (i.e. a team that is fairly close to that location). And even then that has been not adhered to (remember when 3 seed Pitt had to play 6 seed Wisconsin, in Wisconsin) Of course its often difficult to accomplish in order to observe other bracket rules. But if UConn is an 8 seed the committee will absolutely try to place them in Buffalo. UConn is closest to that pod and would not have a homecourt advantage over the #1 seed in the second round.

2. Good catch. That was a bracketing "preference" error by Lunardi, although technically no longer against the rules.. The old rule was no teams from the same conference could meet until the round of 8. When mega conferences arose, they changed the rule because it could not work with a conference with 9 teams in. Now conference opponents cannot play until the round of 32. But the committee has stated its preference to maintain the round of 8 rule, for conferences with 8 teams or less in the tourney. They have never veered from this preference in the past 5 years, so I have no clue why Lunardi thinks they will change it for a 5 bid conference.

3. I suspect that is incorrect. I doubt special effort is made to keep the 4th team in a conference away from the top 3 teams. By rule, they must only keep the top 3 teams separate.

EDIT - Poppy is correct as well. 2 of the top 3 teams from the ACC are in the East which is a clear bracket violation. So Lunardi misapplied the most basic rule, and than did something the committee would never do as well. Butchered region.

I still think UConn will be placed in with Syracuse, as long as Memphis stays above UConn in the seed line. If UConn is the 3rd team from the AAC, it would be more difficult. If they are the 4th team it should be much easier.

Last edited:
3. I suspect that is incorrect. I doubt special effort is made to keep the 4th team in a conference away from the top 3 teams. By rule, they must only keep the top 3 teams separate.
Top 3 teams in each conference only have to be separate if all three teams are top 4 seeds. I just found out this rule as well, but Jerry Palm tweeted that out and he knows this stuff better than anybody IMO.

Top 3 teams in each conference only have to be separate if all three teams are top 4 seeds. I just found out this rule as well, but Jerry Palm tweeted that out and he knows this stuff better than anybody IMO.

Interesting. I am not 100% buying it, but I assume he is correct. Perhaps its a new rule?

I knows its only Wiki (so I am not 100% buying it either), but the seeding section was fairly well written and it mentioned nothing about 3 team rule only applying to the top 4 seed lines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_basketball_tournament_selection_process

2nd round vs UConn...

That is a tasty match-up

Actually if that bracket played out right, we'd have a chance to be Big East champs...out of the east.

Michigan shows moments of brilliance. Iowa State has good high post shooters. Villanova knows the 2-3 zone. It will not be a cake walk if that is the bracket.

I think the selection algorithm is for each group of 4, each seed plays in their region over ranking order. This is so they get better attendance.

Interesting. I am not 100% buying it, but I assume he is correct. Perhaps its a new rule?

I knows its only Wiki (so I am not 100% buying it either), but the seeding section was fairly well written and it mentioned nothing about 3 team rule only applying to the top 4 seed lines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_basketball_tournament_selection_process
Jerry Palm @jppalmCBS
have to be separate if all top 4 seeds RT Question: So top 3 teams in each conference can be placed in the same bracket as well?

Because look at Palm's new bracket he has Duke as a 4 and Pitt as a 5 potentially playing the 2nd round and they are the ACC #2 and ACC #3 teams. He wouldn't do that if there was a rule on it.

Not for nothing but thats not a great bracket for us. BE teams know the zone pretty well, I know we rag on Uconn and others but id rather avoid playing in a bracket with them, Cincy, and others.

What's interested is a few years from now they won't!

I quickly checked 2013, 2012, and 2011 brackets and saw no exceptions to the rule. If it's not a rule, its certainly been a preference that has not been broken.

Must be something new.

Lunardi vs. Alsacs
Lunardi
West-Anaheim
1. Arizona
2. Kentucky
3. San Diego State
4. Iowa
5. UMass
East-New York
1. Syracuse
2. Villanova
3. Iowa State
4. Michigan
5. Cincinnati
Midwest-Indianapolis
1. Michigan State
2. Florida
3. Oklahoma State
4. Duke
5. Louisville
South-Memphis
1. Kansas
2. Wichita State
3. Wisconsin
4. Creighton
5. Pittsburgh

Alsacs-updated after Nova lost on Monday
West-Anaheim
1. Arizona
2. San Diego State
3. Wisconsin
4. Creighton
5. Memphis

East- New York
1. Syracuse
2. Florida
3. Iowa State
4. Michigan
5. UMass

Midwest-Indianapolis
1. Michigan State
2. Villanova
3. Kentucky
4. Oklahoma State
5. Duke

South-Memphis
1. Kansas
2. Wichita State
3. Iowa
4. Cincinnati
5. Pittsburgh

Its safe to say anybody with a decent brain and can logically look at the resumes can do this as good if not better than Lunardi who is made out to be some sort of genius.
Lunardi probably gets paid a nice chunk of money for something that, as you say, anyone can do. If that's not true genius, then I don't know what is.

What's interested is a few years from now they won't!

True but personally id like to avoid Uconn and Cincy if at all possible just not loving either of those matchups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom