Breaking: NCAA Rules Committee Recommends Goal-Mouth Arc | Syracusefan.com

Breaking: NCAA Rules Committee Recommends Goal-Mouth Arc

Just get rid of the damn crease dive once and for all.

Never seen a sport outlaw something and then bring it back over a decade later while every other sport is installing safety measures

There is skillful artistry to scoring outside the circle without lunging into. That adds nothing but unnecessary risk of injury

If the geniuses need a offensive gimmick then maybe consider a two point shot

Just ban the dive again. This is starting to sound like something the NFL would do to fix an issue.
An issue they created themselves and didn't think through.

Everyone here is right on the money... so unnecessary. Just ban the dive.

I like it
I’m with you on this. I think the dive brings another interesting element to lacrosse. I’m not even really sure why the dive has been a huge issue in the first place. How many goalies have been injured from a dive? The worst one the entire season (from my recollection) was the SU game against Albany when Tyson pushed Tehoka into Porter when he was diving and knocked Porter into the net. Tyson was flagged and both players ended up just fine. I’m all for safety but come on, this is D1. Let the boys play.

This may not make.a bunch of sense but.

As a sports fan who loves Syracuse and Syracuse sports, and desperately wants to love lacrosse because of the traditional strength of our program, I feel like all these rule changes make it harder and harder for me to truly get hooked in.

I’m with you on this. I think the dive brings another interesting element to lacrosse. I’m not even really sure why the dive has been a huge issue in the first place. How many goalies have been injured from a dive? The worst one the entire season (from my recollection) was the SU game against Albany when Tyson pushed Tehoka into Porter when he was diving and knocked Porter into the net. Tyson was flagged and both players ended up just fine. I’m all for safety but come on, this is D1. Let the boys play.

There were never any issues with the dive for those of us who grew up with it so I can't understand why the dive a) can't be legal again and b) why there are any issues with it to begin with. I can't recall a goalie ever ever ever getting hurt from the dive back in the day.

But if safety is a legit concern then I think this arc is an ok solution. If you land in the arc it's no goal and if you make contact with the goalie in the arc I guess it's a penalty. Seems pretty cut and dry. However, it won't be cut and dry, we'll have goalies trying to draw contact and we'll have people arguing about an elbow that's an inch inside the arc.

There were never any issues with the dive for those of us who grew up with it so I can't understand why the dive a) can't be legal again and b) why there are any issues with it to begin with. I can't recall a goalie ever ever ever getting hurt from the dive back in the day.

But if safety is a legit concern then I think this arc is an ok solution. If you land in the arc it's no goal and if you make contact with the goalie in the arc I guess it's a penalty. Seems pretty cut and dry. However, it won't be cut and dry, we'll have goalies trying to draw contact and we'll have people arguing about an elbow that's an inch inside the arc.
The Other Side of 'The Dive'

This may not make.a bunch of sense but.

As a sports fan who loves Syracuse and Syracuse sports, and desperately wants to love lacrosse because of the traditional strength of our program, I feel like all these rule changes make it harder and harder for me to truly get hooked in.

Thank you for saying so. This is honestly not surprising to hear at all. I sometimes watch lacrosse with friends and family who are less in the know and they are already completely confused despite having a knowledge of every violation known to man in basketball and football. A good deal of that confusion comes from what is seen as illogical inconsistencies in the calls ("so you can wind up and whack a guy as hard as you want on the arm but you tap him on the helmet and they throw a flag??") and just getting the untrained eye to follow a tiny lacrosse ball on a TV. They are just making it harder to grow the game when they add a totally new inconsistent/confusing set of rules to an aspect of the game that was once totally straightforward (you're not allowed in that circle around the goal unless you are pushed in the back by the defense). This new stuff is confusing and alienating to hardcore fans so I can't imagine how bad it is for newcomers.

Thanks for posting.

We weren't in the information age back then so maybe guys did get hurt but I never saw one, Quint said to he can't recall goalies getting hurt. My experience was the same as the dude in the clip who said he'd never hit a goalie ever. I'd be curious what our resident netminder would say.

I was in a recent discussion about how to defend it and I advised to come out and hit 'em with a hard cross check when they're in the air. (but I'm old school haha).

Thanks for posting.

We weren't in the information age back then so maybe guys did get hurt but I never saw one, Quint said to he can't recall goalies getting hurt. My experience was the same as the dude in the clip who said he'd never hit a goalie ever. I'd be curious what our resident netminder would say.

I was in a recent discussion about how to defend it and I advised to come out and hit 'em with a hard cross check when they're in the air. (but I'm old school haha).
Thanks for posting.

I'll tell you one thing if they adopt this rule Tehoka Nanticoke will end up injuring somebody.

Quint better define getting injured then. Is it being sent off on a stretcher, requiring major surgery? Saw Klan at Placid get banged up good by diver going right into his knees . Dont recall Tehoka lunging toward Porter? In Army Loyola patriot title game watched Baretto have leg injured from crease collision. Sure there were more collisions in the other 95% of games that I didn't see. Lacrosse field is 110 by 60, offensive players have that whole focking field to operate and score from .They gotta infringe on the goalies small space? Watching collisions, flops and defenders being called for bs pushes dont excite , beyond tired hearing about Gait's highlight . The NFL has outlawed many ways that were former highlights. Sport of lacrosse shouldn't be lagging in player safety. No head, no lower body, period . The crease dive doesnt make the game any better than it previously was. Cheapens in my opinion

Quint better define getting injured then. Is it being sent off on a stretcher, requiring major surgery? Saw Klan at Placid get banged up good by diver going right into his knees . Dont recall Tehoka lunging toward Porter? In Army Loyola patriot title game watched Baretto have leg injured from crease collision. Sure there were more collisions in the other 95% of games that I didn't see. Lacrosse field is 110 by 60, offensive players have that whole focking field to operate and score from .They gotta infringe on the goalies small space? Watching collisions, flops and defenders being called for bs pushes dont excite , beyond tired hearing about Gait's highlight . The NFL has outlawed many ways that were former highlights. Sport of lacrosse shouldn't be lagging in player safety. No head, no lower body, period . The crease dive doesnt make the game any better than it previously was. Cheapens in my opinion

As the rules currently stand the goalies have incentive to put themselves in situations where they can get hurt since drawing contact with the diver before the ball goes in would (at least according to the rules) wave off the goal. We saw that when Griffin Cook hurt the Army goalie in our game last year. In the footage the Army goalie is clearly sticking his leg out not to save the shot but to draw contact. It makes sense that he would do so too! How are you more likely to stop a goal in that situation? Actually stuffing a guys shot from 1 foot away (highly unlikely) or drawing contact that would make the close range shot not count? Clearly the latter if the refs actually call it that way. The way Cook landed on him it could have easily been the next dive horror story. He was fortunate to not break or tear anything on that play.

Now with this stupid cone thing I wouldn't be surprised if the defense starts doing the same sort of thing by pushing the diving guys into the cone area and further risking the goalie and other player's safety. Yes a push in the back is a penalty but you can often legally push a guy from the side in those situations too. Either way a penalty is better than a goal. Once again they have incentive to do so since it would wave off the goal/very high percentage shot and help the team in a big way.

In a choice between potentially getting hurt and doing something that helps the team win, fully committed athletes will chose helping the team every time. Just look at the D guy in the PLL throwing himself in front of the cage when a guy has a wide open shot, despite D players without proper protection getting killed in that situation in the past, and he ain't making millions either. They are already risking life and limb in so many situations on the field. These idiots don't realize these rules make it 100% backwards if the goal is player safety. A gruesome injury is inevitable under the current rules and that's a fact. And unlike with big hits it will be an injury that isn't even fun to watch in the first place!

With the Doctah on this

Rules committee foolishly brought back the crease dive after abolishing it for safety. Admit the mistake rather than dress it and eliminate to avoid damages. Only a year , it is not imbedded yet and no one will miss it.

Be responsible and do it before unnecessary accidents happen and personal lawsuits fly