New York Mets will buy Syracuse Chiefs, bring its Triple-A team to Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

New York Mets will buy Syracuse Chiefs, bring its Triple-A team to Syracuse

Syracuse Chiefs were owned by the Yankees for a couple years in the 70's. It's too bad they went all in for Scranton a few years back, before Jason Smorol took over as the GM of the Chiefs.

Syracuse Chiefs were owned by the Yankees for a couple years in the 70's. It's too bad they went all in for Scranton a few years back, before Jason Smorol took over as the GM of the Chiefs.
I heard once from an old-timer (who could have full of it) that the Chiefs and Yankees broke up as affiliates because the younger Simone interned for the Yankees, and Steinbrenner fired him for being incompetent.

The Chiefs have been community owned since 1961. The Simone family ran the show until recently when Bill Dutch took over.

They were only a Yankees farm club from 1967-1977.

Steinbrenner and Tex Simone didn't exactly agree on too many things.

The Chiefs have been community owned since 1961. The Simone family ran the show until recently when Bill Dutch took over.

They were only a Yankees farm club from 1967-1977.

Steinbrenner and Tex Simone didn't exactly agree on too many things.
yes, that is correct. The Yankees didn't own the team as I had noted. I didn't know they were affiliated for that long though. I do recall it wasn't a friendly relationship between Steinbrenner and the Simones although I don't recall what their beef with each other was.

I remember going to an exhibition game in either 76 or 77 and being able to shake hands with a lot of their roster, Willy Randolph and Mickey Rivers come to mind. Thurman was there too but didn't go through the handshake line. I remember Mickey Rivers had really long finger nails :confused:

I heard once from an old-timer (who could have full of it) that the Chiefs and Yankees broke up as affiliates because the younger Simone interned for the Yankees, and Steinbrenner fired him for being incompetent.
that could be, the rumors were they did not like each other. At all.

When Steinbrenner bought the Yankees, he wanted all his farm clubs to have the best of everything. He gave the Chiefs $20,000 worth of weight room equipment, and Simone didn't want it. The Chiefs' clubhouse was a tiny building behind the RF wall at MacArthur, and there wasn't any room for the weights, and Simone was too cheap to expand.

Steinbrenner couldn't wait for the contract to expire so he could deal with another AAA farm club.

Looks like a good arrangement for both parties. If I still lived in Syracuse, this would increase my interest in going to Chiefs games.

Smartest thing the Mets have done in a while, having your farm team in Vegas made absolutely no sense.

This will be a great thing for the Chiefs. I have a lot of good memories of going to the Chiefs games at MacArthur growing up and it'd be nice to see the team move in a positive direction.

Wow, great move. With Brooklyn and Binghamton, that places 3 of their top 5 minor league affiliates in NYS

well with the Syr airport getting an upgrade, all the new hotels and a local Met fan contingent this may work out really well for the Mets where they wouldn't want to move them closer to Queens.

Good for the mets and Syracuse.

Having your AAA team in Vegas was beyond ridiculous. Now it's easily drivable and in a pinch, you could fly real quick.

I always figured Syracuse to be a Yankee town, but having the mets should be good for business.
As a Met fan, this is something I have been pining for since I was a kid circa 1970. I think the Mets are second only to the Yanks in terms of local fans, and we know the Yankees are never coming here. This should help attendance and fan interest.

The downside is losing local ownership. There is strong competition for AAA franchises and other cities will try and convince the Mets to move their AAA franchise elsewhere.

Mets ownership is so cash poor and troubled, anything is possible. Syracuse has done a terrible job supporting the Chiefs for a long time. I hope that changes now. I know I will go to many more games now.

Oh the thought of dry greasey Nathan hotdogs on Dollar Thursday. The fans will revolt and Albany will accept.

As a Met fan, this is something I have been pining for since I was a kid circa 1970. I think the Mets are second only to the Yanks in terms of local fans, and we know the Yankees are never coming here. This should help attendance and fan interest.

The downside is losing local ownership. There is strong competition for AAA franchises and other cities will try and convince the Mets to move their AAA franchise elsewhere.

Mets ownership is so cash poor and troubled, anything is possible. Syracuse has done a terrible job supporting the Chiefs for a long time. I hope that changes now. I know I will go to many more games now.
The Simones and Toronto did a terrible job marketing the Chiefs for a long time. It was the last county taxpayer bailout that finally took some control away from them and got Jason Smorol hired. Attendance has been better considering they had a losing season and there isn't any local Washington fan base. This has probably been a long time coming, as a Yankees fan I wish it had been them but am happy for the local Met fans. It's pretty damn exciting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom