New York Mets will buy Syracuse Chiefs, bring its Triple-A team to Syracuse | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New York Mets will buy Syracuse Chiefs, bring its Triple-A team to Syracuse

This is a legit issue. As a Mets fan, I'd be thrilled if the Mets end up taking over in 18'. Somehow I can't see the Nats being ok with helping the Mets earn money at their expense.

Athletics are going to move from Nashville to Las Vegas.
I bet the nationals go to Nashville.

Atleast that isn’t 2000 miles away like Vegas.
At one time, the Nats were talking about making Richmond their AAA team, but I haven't seen anything about it since the article that mentioned it. Right now, the Richmond Flying Squirrels are the Eastern League AA affiliate of the Giants.

At one time, the Nats were talking about making Richmond their AAA team, but I haven't seen anything about it since the article that mentioned it. Right now, the Richmond Flying Squirrels are the Eastern League AA affiliate of the Giants.

They want a new stadium first. The Diamond won't cut it.

I'm sure I'm a bit paranoid but the Mets could easily move them closer much like Ripken did to Utica after buying them. Brooklyn maybe?

I'm sure I'm a bit paranoid but the Mets could easily move them closer much like Ripken did to Utica after buying them. Brooklyn maybe?

They have a team in Brooklyn already. There are a lot of territorial rights issue that would make it difficult to move it a lot closer to NYC. Not impossible, but difficult.

I don't think the Mets are intending to move. i think this is the set-up they want. But if there are losses due to lack of attendance, they will be absorbing them and they could look for a better situation in the future.

If they do, a new organization would have to be formed here and pitches made to other major league teams to put a Triple A or a Double A, (Eastern League) team in here. Double A might not be bad as so many prospect play most of a season there before going directly to the bigs. As long as we have a ball game as an option in the summer.

Last edited:
"Perhaps connected to their aging stadium’s lack of appeal"

Is our stadium considered "old" at 20 years?
The article says

Syracuse plays their home games at NBT Bank Stadium, which was built in 1997. Though that doesn’t sound like long ago, it’s actually one of the older stadiums in Triple-A baseball, and it’s consistently ranked near the bottom in many fan polls and minor league stadium ranking lists. The only silver lining for the Mets is that Cashman Field, home of the Las Vegas 51s, is usually the bottom.

But if you actually go to the link, which unfortunately combines hockey and baseball facilities, our stadium the newest I saw. It has a bad location, an uninspired design and remains unfinished but it is the newest baseball stadium listed. The opening paragraph says otherwise and I think no one bothered to actually check the details. Where are the editors? Have they done away with fact checking completely?

Where do Crunch's War Memorial, Chiefs' NBT Bank Stadium rank among oldest Triple-A facilities? (photos)

The article says

Syracuse plays their home games at NBT Bank Stadium, which was built in 1997. Though that doesn’t sound like long ago, it’s actually one of the older stadiums in Triple-A baseball, and it’s consistently ranked near the bottom in many fan polls and minor league stadium ranking lists. The only silver lining for the Mets is that Cashman Field, home of the Las Vegas 51s, is usually the bottom.

But if you actually go to the link, which unfortunately combines hockey and baseball facilities, our stadium the newest I saw. It has a bad location, an uninspired design and remains unfinished but it is the newest baseball stadium listed. The opening paragraph says otherwise and I think no one bothered to actually check the details. Where are the editors? Have they done away with fact checking completely?

Where do Crunch's War Memorial, Chiefs' NBT Bank Stadium rank among oldest Triple-A facilities? (photos)
The stadium needs upgrades, the area around the stadium is in DIRE need of investment. My wish for this new partnership with the Mets is that the city, county and state come to an agreement to improve Hiawatha Blvd, N. Salina and Wolf St which would include removing/relocating the nudy bars. I remember what Armory Sq looked like when the only thing there was the Hot Shoppe and The Crown, the rest of the square was a dump. Then Pastabilities decided to move from Warren St. to Franklin St. and with a little help from the city and state the whole square became the crown jewel of the city.

There is so much potential for that part of the city, being so close to the Inner Harbor and Destiny is an advantage. Stephanie Miner got the Inner Harbor project moving forward, I hope the next mayor has plans to keep improving that side of town. The area needs to be rezoned though and remove the adult clubs. The have no business being in a residential neighborhood and nothing good will happen to the area until they're gone.

I agree that neighborhood is a mess and has potential for a major turnaround. I hope the Inner Harbor development is a major success and somehow jumps over I81 and helps.

I hated leaving the stadium where it is when the new one was built because it is in an area with a giant surrounding buffer that ensures that it will have no ability to spun more development or growth nearby. The only buildings reasonably close are all used by the Regional Market and are put to good use in that capacity.

If it was built on the other side of the railroad tracks from the Armory, or down by where the old Midtown Plaza was, or on the near West Side; any blighted area close to downtown with buildings that could be renovated and put to good use, there could have been some real economic benefit from making that huge investment. And that growing core of people who live and work downtown would have another reason to stay, attendance would have surely increased, and we could have had some cool views from the stadium of downtown, Piety Hill, etc.

Here is what is likely to happen:

Attendance will improve somewhat with the Mets as the new owners, but they will not invest in the stadium or team in any major way, and the first chance they got to move elsewhere, where a bigger city offers to build a nice new stadium to entice them, they will leave Syracuse and our stadium will stand empty for 20 years, rotting away.

Then, if we are lucky, we will make a play for a AA team, and if we are lucky, will steal one from a smaller city in exchange for the promise of building a new stadium. If we are lucky, it will be built downtown. By that point, even the most ignorant, racist, pork belly protecting idiot politicians involved might see it belongs there.

I agree that neighborhood is a mess and has potential for a major turnaround. I hope the Inner Harbor development is a major success and somehow jumps over I81 and helps.

I hated leaving the stadium where it is when the new one was built because it is in an area with a giant surrounding buffer that ensures that it will have no ability to spun more development or growth nearby...

Then, if we are lucky, we will make a play for a AA team, and if we are lucky, will steal one from a smaller city in exchange for the promise of building a new stadium. If we are lucky, it will be built downtown. By that point, even the most ignorant, racist, pork belly protecting idiot politicians involved might see it belongs there.

To the last, I fear you're giving the politicians too much credit. They'll always be able to fail to meet the lowest expectations.

On the buffer point, exactly. It's what many local pols didn't understand in the late '80s but nearly everyone does today: no matter how much investment occurs nearby, there's no curing the giant void created by the topography, infrastructure, and a mega-mall. Dumping the stadium at the farthest northwest corner and building a high-speed suburban arterial (with no sidewalks!) between the mall, train station, and stadium didn't help.

They're going to have to revisit this mistake and find a new location on the downtown fringe (maybe south of Adams or Near West Side?) or near midtown. Hopefully before 2026.

Bonus 'like' for your use of Piety Hill.

I inherited shares of the Chiefs as a younger man upon my grandfathers death.

I guess I should start looking forward to a check in the mail for about $3.67.
Judas Priest, I just read they’ll net approx $1400 per share.!! I’ll just shut up I guess!!!

Now just crossing my fingers that the Mets somehow force out the Nationals in 2018 and take control of the team THIS season, and not in 2019. That would be fantastic.

I’ll prob still make a game or two, but agree that this is a mistake.

wrong, this is so wrong. I don't see me going to any games ever again. This is a bad decision by the Mets

Why? They own the team. They can name it whatever they want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom