Brent's advice to the ACC announcers...... | Syracusefan.com

Brent's advice to the ACC announcers......

Ok, I am passing up a rare chance to see the Aurora Borealis(no joking), so I better make this good. I dedicate this to Otto(even though I have no clue if he'd agree with any of it, and realize the night mods may be the only ones who read it, so maybe I should dedicate it to them?), and his compliment to me the other day/night which inspired me to press on even when defending the underdog just for the heck of it. Otto, the next beer I crack open will be in your honor, along with what is to come below. I probably haven't drank enough to sound poetic yet though, so I ask for your forgiveness in advance. I'm going to try to stick with some form of logic, whether it is recognizable to most or not. This isn't aimed at Brent(whose only other work I am familiar with was the hit piece on the 317 gal), but at those guffawed by this.

Lets say after reading Brent's piece I have an axe to grind(maybe i read it before i drank enough, and/or maybe low brow humor isn't always appealing to me), and maybe a point to prove about the people/themes we "follow". My approval ratings may take another hit(if it's even still possible...mods may want to consider a dislike button) after rebuffing a board hero. If I really wanted to nitpick like he does, I could really have a ball with this, but I'll just hit the main points. Maybe I like being a contrarian at times, or maybe I like speaking up for those without a voice(or in this case, an opportunity to respond). I feel a bit like the Edward Norton character on American History X when he sees "his people" didn't really reflect his values. Yeah the announcers messed up a few times last game, but for the most part I was more interested in the game, so I was understanding with their unfamiliarity and didn't let it bother me.

This clown, however, doesn't have that excuse(or at least shouldn't) and made enough errors of his own, even though he wasn't on live TV and could have corrected them, unlike the announcers. Granted the article was obviously for cheap laughs from SU fans, and not actually intended to help anyone from outside the fanbase. The comments section was more of a hoot than the article(even though the IQ sunk at some points). For instance, one of (what's that nickname Kramer had on his license plate when he was a proctologist?)'s main beefs was with pronunciation. In the comments, plenty of people from CNY say exactly the opposite in regards to how to pronounce where they live. Fair enough, I know a lot of the interlopers think they are more 'Cuse than the 'Cuse(no offense to some of you, i just used that term because it was used here to mock how ACC fans would supposedly view us). On the pronunciation of BMK's name, I think the last set of announcers did fine when they described his answer to the 2 ways to pronounce it(french and english) and which he preferred, which the quote Brent uses actually got wrong.

All of section 2, "Things WE Already Know" is built on the premise that the other teams' fans(and even some less knowledgeable SU fans who root for the team but dont necessarily follow them in cult-like fashion like us) aren't watching or don't matter. This is a HUGE error in logic that I can even spot when not sober. Plus it's apparent the guy likely gets some of the tired schtick(memes?) from here. No wonder he's popular here!

In section 3 he apparently has the realization that other viewers may want to learn the stuff about Boeheim we already know. At least the ACC announcers haven't messed up anything like Vitale's "assistant" recently did with his HOF projections.

For section 4 he doesn't even understand the clapping at the beginning of each half and couldn't care less if it ended as of now. Really? And this is the guy we are applauding as representing us to a large area of the nation? Like myself, he actually enjoys seeing new sponsors, although I can't say for sure if I'd crown Wegmans the king of all grocery stores. Anyhow, I suppose I shouldn't be too hard on the guy, it isn't like he's getting paid like the often irresponsible mainstream media that many folks rarely, if ever, question. Of course I couldn't talk about them here even if i did still partake of their buffet of BS and meaningless distraction, so he is a victim of the rules(and the fact that I prefer alcohol to Adderall).

Closing on a happy note, while I've never been to Bojangles I'd be happy to go if I had the chance because of the song which has a bit of a special meaning to me. The Sammy Davis Jr version might be better, but I know some of you prefer brevity(this is 2 minutes shorter) :

Ok, I am passing up a rare chance to see the Aurora Borealis(no joking), so I better make this good. I dedicate this to Otto(even though I have no clue if he'd agree with any of it, and realize the night mods may be the only ones who read it, so maybe I should dedicate it to them?), and his compliment to me the other day/night which inspired me to press on even when defending the underdog just for the heck of it. Otto, the next beer I crack open will be in your honor, along with what is to come below. I probably haven't drank enough to sound poetic yet though, so I ask for your forgiveness in advance. I'm going to try to stick with some form of logic, whether it is recognizable to most or not. This isn't aimed at Brent(whose only other work I am familiar with was the hit piece on the 317 gal), but at those guffawed by this.

Lets say after reading Brent's piece I have an axe to grind(maybe i read it before i drank enough, and/or maybe low brow humor isn't always appealing to me), and maybe a point to prove about the people/themes we "follow". My approval ratings may take another hit(if it's even still possible...mods may want to consider a dislike button) after rebuffing a board hero. If I really wanted to nitpick like he does, I could really have a ball with this, but I'll just hit the main points. Maybe I like being a contrarian at times, or maybe I like speaking up for those without a voice(or in this case, an opportunity to respond). I feel a bit like the Edward Norton character on American History X when he sees "his people" didn't really reflect his values. Yeah the announcers messed up a few times last game, but for the most part I was more interested in the game, so I was understanding with their unfamiliarity and didn't let it bother me.

This clown, however, doesn't have that excuse(or at least shouldn't) and made enough errors of his own, even though he wasn't on live TV and could have corrected them, unlike the announcers. Granted the article was obviously for cheap laughs from SU fans, and not actually intended to help anyone from outside the fanbase. The comments section was more of a hoot than the article(even though the IQ sunk at some points). For instance, one of (what's that nickname Kramer had on his license plate when he was a proctologist?)'s main beefs was with pronunciation. In the comments, plenty of people from CNY say exactly the opposite in regards to how to pronounce where they live. Fair enough, I know a lot of the interlopers think they are more 'Cuse than the 'Cuse(no offense to some of you, i just used that term because it was used here to mock how ACC fans would supposedly view us). On the pronunciation of BMK's name, I think the last set of announcers did fine when they described his answer to the 2 ways to pronounce it(french and english) and which he preferred, which the quote Brent uses actually got wrong.

All of section 2, "Things WE Already Know" is built on the premise that the other teams' fans(and even some less knowledgeable SU fans who root for the team but dont necessarily follow them in cult-like fashion like us) aren't watching or don't matter. This is a HUGE error in logic that I can even spot when not sober. Plus it's apparent the guy likely gets some of the tired schtick(memes?) from here. No wonder he's popular here!

In section 3 he apparently has the realization that other viewers may want to learn the stuff about Boeheim we already know. At least the ACC announcers haven't messed up anything like Vitale's "assistant" recently did with his HOF projections.

For section 4 he doesn't even understand the clapping at the beginning of each half and couldn't care less if it ended as of now. Really? And this is the guy we are applauding as representing us to a large area of the nation? Like myself, he actually enjoys seeing new sponsors, although I can't say for sure if I'd crown Wegmans the king of all grocery stores. Anyhow, I suppose I shouldn't be too hard on the guy, it isn't like he's getting paid like the often irresponsible mainstream media that many folks rarely, if ever, question. Of course I couldn't talk about them here even if i did still partake of their buffet of BS and meaningless distraction, so he is a victim of the rules(and the fact that I prefer alcohol to Adderall).

Closing on a happy note, while I've never been to Bojangles I'd be happy to go if I had the chance because of the song which has a bit of a special meaning to me. The Sammy Davis Jr version might be better, but I know some of you prefer brevity(this is 2 minutes shorter) :

There's no need to apologize. Axe is a complete fluckstick. Probably never even heard of Gerry Cooney but deserves to have his nose broken just for that reason.

rrlbees said:
We aren't the Orange either. We are the Blue.

Sadly, you're right Bees. After seeing all the blue during football season, I thought Michigan had moved from the Big House to the Loud House.

But Wegmans IS the king of all grocery stores...

I've always said "Sarah-Cuse" and I'm from the area.

Must be a Fulton thing.

Being a east side native, I've always said "Sura-Cuse."

As for the standing and clapping ritual, I recall posting this before, but the genesis of this came after we played in the Lobo Classic back in 1977. The Lobo fans stood and clapped until the first basket was made. A guy named Joe Gallagher, who was an (not Executive Senior; for you, MADNY) Associate AD for Marketing with us at the time, thought it would be a great idea if we did the same.

So as Paul Harvey (Google him, youngins) would say, now you know the rest of the story.

LGO85 said:

No Bojangles here in Northeast Ohio either, but I'd trade you a Giant Eagle for a Wegmans every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

You people from CNY and your love of Wegmans. It's really funny to someone who grew up outside the area and doesn't actually have the opportunity to go to them except for when I travel (nice one down by Princeton, NJ). When a group of displaced CNYers get to talking about Wegman's its comical.

You people from CNY and your love of Wegmans. It's really funny to someone who grew up outside the area and doesn't actually have the opportunity to go to them except for when I travel (nice one down by Princeton, NJ). When a group of displaced CNYers get to talking about Wegman's its comical.
It's like a good bromance. Other people say they don't understand it, but mostly they're just jealous that they don't have a similar relationship in their life.

It's like a good bromance. Other people say they don't understand it, but mostly they're just jealous that they don't have a similar relationship in their life.

Right on man. It's times like these(inspired me to play the Foo Fighters song) I wish the board had the emoticon of the dude banging his head with his fist in the air. My buddy recently said something similar, about people getting upset when they see others enjoying themselves more than them.

I may not live there at the moment, but I have great love for the 315 that will always remain. I thought the article was a bit of fun, but I was a bit cranky like Boeheim and had an axe to grind and after seeing this it feels ground. I just would regret if someone that wasn't from the area nor a fan read his bit and thought he represented us. Great love for all of you, natives or those who just vacation(ed). For those familiar, can anyone tell me this Axeman's relation to Syracuse? At least he inspired this thread and for that I have gratitude toward him.

My tribute to Axeman, is the Seinfeld clip I alluded to in my axe to grind post above(albeit after admittedly reading only 2 of his pieces). From what little I've seen(and I hope I'm not prematurely judging his contributions), I get the sense this title would more aptly describe him:

No Bojangles here in Northeast Ohio either, but I'd trade you a Giant Eagle for a Wegmans every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

I'd kill for a Wegman's here in NC. Harris Teeter just doesn't cut it for me.

Bojangles has good chicken, but their biscuits are the best. If you are ever in the vicinity of one, grab a Boberry biscuit. You won't regret it.

Many people go crazy over Chick-Fil-A as well, but i'm in the minority in thinking PDQ is the best chicken place around these parts!

I'm just going to say I called it Sarah-cuse for the first half of my life, and Seer-a-cuse from around age 17 or 18 up until now. I am not from the area, but the vast majority of my family is, including my dad. But I've heard the accents that my family members from CNY have, so I'm not sure it's a bad thing if I'm not pronouncing it exactly like they do.

Born and raised here, I've always called it Sara-cuse. Seer-acuse just sounds funny to me. But whatever, people can call it whatever they want, everyone knows where they are talking about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom