Class of 2017 - Brian Bowen from Louisville to South Carolina | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Brian Bowen from Louisville to South Carolina

No one is saying that you can't be a fan. Go ahead, but it is another to denigrate a university of which you have zero ties to outside of your fandom. That would be like me talking down on the SCSD or CBA, Bishop Ludden, etc when I have no skin in the game. It's ludicrous.

And the animosity that townies and students have is a two way street. Hardly one-sided.

For one, I have never denigrated the University, and the poster who sent a tweet didn't either. Two, I, and other townies have plenty of connection to SU. I have given money for years to the University in multiple forms. Saying someone like me has zero ties to SU just because I didn't go there, and get a degree is the exact pomposity that is ridiculous, and obnoxious.

I think fans are fans. People in upstate New York, not just Syracuse, revere the program as much as students and alumni. I don't think anyone is served by asserting a heirarchy of right or entitlement to degrees of fandom.

For one, I have never denigrated the University, and the poster who sent a tweet didn't either. Two, I, and other townies have plenty of connection to SU. I have given money for years to the University in multiple forms. Saying someone like me has zero ties to SU just because I didn't go there, and get a degree is the exact pomposity that is ridiculous, and obnoxious.
Amen. I grew up here but I chose to attend a better academic school than SU, But then moved back and have lived here ever since. Been a season ticket holder for both sports for almost 10 years. I have no ties??

Amen. I grew up here but I chose to attend a better academic school than SU, But then moved back and have lived here ever since. Been a season ticket holder for both sports for almost 10 years. I have no ties??
I also graduated from a school that wasn't Syracuse. I was a mid level athlete so I wanted to go somewhere I could compete and not walk on and hope for the best. That doesn't make me any less of a fan. I feel comments like that are flat out stupid.

I grew up in Syracuse and was a fan from pretty much birth and went to a better academic school, moved back and have followed the teams since I can remember. I'm 38. No discredit to the alumni, but why is this even a debate? Can't we all love the school and teams? No offense but without this city and locals this school is probably St Bon. or Colgate when it comes to sports.

I really hate the attitude of some alumni towards us that have lived here, loved Syracuse, and SU our whole lives. Keyword, some.

We are all fans. I could hate on those that didn't know a thing about Syracuse sports before they decided to attend the University, but I don't. People fall in love with the program. So, I understand and love the amount of fans we have across the world. The pomposity towards 'townies' just drives me insane when it happens.

Anyway, carry on. No need to really talk about Bowen, but interesting recruitment for sure. Also, it was a harmless tweet.

Bravo, JLine. Thank you for saying what some of us quiter types have had to hold in for a long time. I dont mean to harp on the poster in question, as I cant recall anything he's said before that was off putting to me, so I hope he knows this post isnt directed at him. However the arrogance of some, the "hieracrchy" of fandom as if it were some sort of entitlement, is a bit troublesome to me. As you noted, it comes from some, not all. Also noted time and time again on here is how little support some students give toward the teams, compared to other schools. When they graduate, after never having watched a game, do they have more right to talk about the team or their fan status than the poster who is being reamed out by folks who might think they're well meaning?

Even if some argue that the reaming was done with good intention, it doesn't take away from the wreak of elitism that some of the aforementioned put off. It's kind of like the continued cries for the return of the "payside", where folks who think they are better fans(because they have more money to burn? seriously, where is the logic) can get inside information that would be dangerous in the hands of common fan. SMH, because I am being dead serious. It was like how they had to be super secret about posting about the "secret recruit" last season, because they feared anyone posting about the dude would get sanctions leveled on the university. Am I the only one who finds that extremely humorous?

On to the original question at hand, right now it's fairly simple to see why JB isnt tossing around offers to everyone. There is one scholarship left, and multiple targets already. As an aside, how does anyone know whom the university has put feelers out for, unless a kid specifically says they haven't?

The bottom line is one fan expressed how much he would like to see a player play for his team, and lamented that the school hadn't made an offer yet. If it had any effect, it could have been a good one for all we know. No need to put others down, just because they dont live up to your model of "right". Maybe make a statement in the form of a question rather than ridiculing people if you want them to think about your point?

Supposedly Louisville is making a push here. That would really stink.

Enrolled at Louisville as suspected. Are we ever going to be able to compete in this league?

Enrolled at Louisville as suspected. Are we ever going to be able to compete in this league?
Sadly, the answer might be 'no'. As a northern school in a southern conference it seems like we are a fish out of water. Our old recruiting advantages are largely dissipated. Since pay is not a factor competition is based on image, amenities and related attributes. We need a new recruiting edge.

We have been milking a cash cow. In order to assure the future health of the program we need to invest in the program. Complacency could kill our program.

Some people say we will be OK this year. OK meaning just making the Dance. We have been relying on last minute additions of 5th year seniors and foreigners. This is skating on thin ice. No doubt that 2018 will be a deciding year.

I really hate the attitude of some alumni towards us that have lived here, loved Syracuse, and SU our whole lives. Keyword, some.

We are all fans. I could hate on those that didn't know a thing about Syracuse sports before they decided to attend the University, but I don't. People fall in love with the program. So, I understand and love the amount of fans we have across the world. The pomposity towards 'townies' just drives me insane when it happens.

Anyway, carry on. No need to really talk about Bowen, but interesting recruitment for sure. Also, it was a harmless tweet.

I understand both perspectives as I'm from the area, have followed SU sports since I can remember and also have taken classes at the university.

That being said, though, to downplay the emotional connection that a local who grew up in the area would have to the university, and also the financial commitment through attending games, buying merchandise, etc - it's moronic if you ask me. Thankfully it only seems to be a small minority of alumni that do that.

For the record though - I thought the tweet was not the best look. It could have been worded better and still got the same message across.

I could have gone to a better academic school looking back but was dead set on cuse since I was old enough to learn what college was

Literally the only school I applied to outside of one that had a free application process

No regrets, but someday I do wonder where I could have gotten into haha

I understand both perspectives as I'm from the area, have followed SU sports since I can remember and also have taken classes at the university.

That being said, though, to downplay the emotional connection that a local who grew up in the area would have to the university, and also the financial commitment through attending games, buying merchandise, etc - it's moronic if you ask me. Thankfully it only seems to be a small minority of alumni that do that.

For the record though - I thought the tweet was not the best look. It could have been worded better and still got the same message across.
A student with a BA in math from the local U. of Alaska was considering Syracuse for grad school. My answer to what is different about Syracuse is that there is not any meaningful animus between the town and the school. I also attended Binghamton where there was animus between the town and the school. In large part, we can thank the basketball team, and JB in particular, for our cohesion.

I'm an alumni. I'm a Syracuse fan. I embrace everyone that joins me. It absolutely doesn't matter what your affiliation is and I'm embarrassed if other students or alumni would take an elitist position. The people of Syracuse are great people(not all) as are the Alumni and students ( not all). This is trivial B S and everyone needs to move on and figure out how the heck we get this team relevant again. (Drop Microphone)

Guys, when the sanctions are relieved, I think you will see a different story. For the Ville and UNC as well if they get sanctions. We fell a bit the last time this happened as well if you recollect.

Okay, so we get out of the sanctions and then everything AlaskaSU articulated above is still there, plus the specter of JB inching closer to the end. We need some sort of jolt. Maybe it's an unexpected recruiting victory, maybe it's getting a win in the ACC Tourney and then a run in it too? I don't know but we are really in a malaise. Imagine if things didn't fall into place for that Final Four run.

The sad thing is a guy like Bowen feels out of our league, as others have said. Need to get our seagger back. Can we do that with our archaic systems? Hmmm. Or maybe...yikes.

Okay, so we get out of the sanctions and then everything AlaskaSU articulated above is still there, plus the specter of JB inching closer to the end. We need some sort of jolt. Maybe it's an unexpected recruiting victory, maybe it's getting a win in the ACC Tourney and then a run in it too? I don't know but we are really in a malaise. Imagine if things didn't fall into place for that Final Four run.

The sad thing is a guy like Bowen feels out of our league, as others have said. Need to get our seagger back. Can we do that with our archaic systems? Hmmm. Or maybe...yikes.

Really starting to feel like losing Hopkins may have been the worst thing to ever happen to our program.

We had a good recruiter, a good guy, and a Syracuse lifer ready to take over the helm.

The panic re-signing of Boeheim really pushed our program years back. We have to replace him eventually. Should have just ripped off the bandaid.

Really starting to feel like losing Hopkins may have been the worst thing to ever happen to our program.

We had a good recruiter, a good guy, and a Syracuse lifer ready to take over the helm.

The panic re-signing of Boeheim really pushed our program years back. We have to replace him eventually. Should have just ripped off the bandaid.

I'll be honest. I was really spooked by Hopkins' short run as interim coach, though he was really put on the spot there. That was my big reservation. But I think you're right.

I'll be honest. I was really spooked by Hopkins' short run as interim coach, though he was really put on the spot there. That was my big reservation. But I think you're right.
I love JAB, but the general panic about 9 friggin games is so nonsensical. Think about that. The loss of Hop puts a lot of negatives into play. I think we will be alright in the end, but I am not as certain as when we had Hop in the fold. It is a shame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom