Broadway Shows | Syracusefan.com

Broadway Shows

SUFaninNJ

Living Legend
I’m just wondering who on the board enjoys Broadway shows or theater of any kind. I try and go to a show or two a year. Now that I’ve discovered the various lotteries, I hope to go more often. I just saw Mean Girls and Oklahoma this past week.

I go whenever I can, which was much easier when we lived in NJ (now in Mass). Throughout my life, I have seen some fabulous shows.
  • Original cast of A Chorus Line
  • Equus 4 times - Anthony Hopkins twice, Richard Burton, and Anthony Perkins (for students - yes, I'm dating myself :), they had "bleacher seats" right on stage; I thought Burton was playing to me the entire show)
  • Jason Robards and Colleen Dewhurst in A Moon for the Misbegotten
  • Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf with Ben Gazzara and Colleen Dewhurst
  • Deathtrap with John Wood and Marian Seldes,
  • Original cast of Les Miserables,
  • Wicked, and about 40 or 50 other shows, but those were the highlights for me.
I'm sure I'm forgetting some. I wish I'd kept all the Playbills.

Now if they could just give the seats a little more legroom. ;)

I love going to the theater - we go here in Mass, but you can't beat the vibe of Broadway.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

When I lived in the UK, and when I go to London each year I go quite a bit. I lived in NYC far longer, yet mainly just went to off-broadway stuff. I used to go see shows a friend of mine was in whenever they were in traveling productions.

I went to the Cape Playhouse when I used to go to Cape Cod every summer.

Best show I saw within the past 5 years or so was probably 'Lieutenant of Inishmore' with Aidan Turner in London last year. Saw it twice in a week I liked it so much. Hilarious AF.

I've hit up 'West End Live' in Trafalgar Square the past couple years, this year I'll miss it though. Pretty fun time.

When I lived in the UK, and when I go to London each year I go quite a bit. I lived in NYC far longer, yet mainly just went to off-broadway stuff. I used to go see shows a friend of mine was in whenever they were in traveling productions.

I went to the Cape Playhouse when I used to go to Cape Cod every summer.

Best show I saw within the past 5 years or so was probably 'Lieutenant of Inishmore' with Aidan Turner in London last year. Saw it twice in a week I liked it so much. Hilarious AF.

I've hit up 'West End Live' in Trafalgar Square the past couple years, this year I'll miss it though. Pretty fun time.

My friend Jen did Summer stock at the Cape Playhouse in the late 80’s/early 90’s. I saw They’re Playing Our Song there and just had a grand time. I think I slept in a barn there. My first Broadway Show was her Broadway debut in Titanic in 1997.

NY Theatre is my crack cocaine. I go to shows in NYC two or three times a year. The talent level is so amazing. I'm with Orange79 - I wish that theatres built before 1950 had legroom for a person over 5 feet tall.
  • First Show - Chorus Line (1979)
  • Most Recent Show - Hadestown (2019)
  • My Fav Shows I've seen on Broadway - Once (2013), Spring Awakening (2008), Come From Away (2017), In the Heights (2013), Sweeney Todd (1980), Into the Woods (1988)
  • Only time I've been starstruck - Meeting Patrick Stewart and Ian MacKellen after seeing them in Waiting For Godot.
My favorite thing is seeing shows that are previewing in small venues. I've seen around twenty shows in small theatres that later transferred to broadway. I've seen Hamilton, A Bands Visit, Fun Home, Dear Evan Hansen, and I'm going to see Secret Life of Bees in a few weeks, all in theatres with less than 300 seats and with their original broadway casts. Amazing experiences.

Last edited:
I saw The Play That Goes Wrong before it was cool.

Definitely recommend it now that it's touring the US.

Hey for those that are aficionados, what is the story with the Harry Potter play? No spoilers please but is it good? We’re in the midst of reading the book series with my 9 year old and thought the show might be a good capper when we’re done. But I don’t know if the production is good or really anything about it. Like is it “authorized” or a parody or anything like that. Anyone been?

I've heard very good things about the show from folks who have seen it. They were Potter fans, but would have been hyper critical if it was sub par. Good story, good acting, great special effects. Your daughter is right on the edge for age appropriateness.

One concern - It's actually two shows (part one & part two). So you have to buy two sets of tickets. It might be hard for a 9 year old to do both shows in 24 hours.

Here's an FAQ link that is very helpful.

I've heard very good things about the show from folks who have seen it. They were Potter fans, but would have been hyper critical if it was sub par. Good story, good acting, great special effects. Your daughter is right on the edge for age appropriateness.

One concern - It's actually two shows (part one & part two). So you have to buy two sets of tickets. It might be hard for a 9 year old to do both shows in 24 hours.

Here's an FAQ link that is very helpful.

Awesome thank you for the response.

Does Spamalot count?

Spamalot is one of the best ever.

I'm a fan of Broadway shows. My son is really into it, and performs in the local theater. He was also accepted into an invite only camp in NYC this summer where they will perform a show and they get to see Wicked.

I just brought him to NYC a few weeks ago where we saw Hamilton (incredible) and he talked me into King Kong (incredibl...y horrible).

Spamalot is one of the best ever.

I'm a fan of Broadway shows. My son is really into it, and performs in the local theater. He was also accepted into an invite only camp in NYC this summer where they will perform a show and they get to see Wicked.

I just brought him to NYC a few weeks ago where we saw Hamilton (incredible) and he talked me into King Kong (incredibl...y horrible).

Its great that you're supporting your son's theatre jones. It could become a lifelong passion or just make him a more confident human. Either way a good thing.

I was shocked at how much I liked Something Rotten - funny, silly, clever with great characters and great writing. Went to it with low expectations and had a great time. If you liked Spamalot you'd like Something Rotten. Similar vibe.

Since Broadway opened back up, I’ve seen Dear Evan Hansen (really good but ending its run soon), Funny Girl (caught one of Beanie Feldstein’s last performances and it was fantastic) and MJ. The music and dancing in MJ was phenomenal. The actor who plays Michael Jackson is spot on with the look and voice. I highly recommend it. Six is up next on my list.

Good thread. I haven't seen a ton of Broadway shows, but always seem to enjoy them when it happens. This is motivation to go see some more!

One of the coolest shows I ever saw was "Macbeth" with Patrick Stewart playing the title character. It was at a small theater in Brooklyn (BAM)

Since Broadway opened back up, I’ve seen Dear Evan Hansen (really good but ending its run soon), Funny Girl (caught one of Beanie Feldstein’s last performances and it was fantastic) and MJ. The music and dancing in MJ was phenomenal. The actor who plays Michael Jackson is spot on with the look and voice. I highly recommend it. Six is up next on my list.

I posted in the Stranger Things thread (because of Dustin being in the show), but my son and I went to Dear Evan Hanson a couple of weeks ago. Probably my favorite Broadway experience.

He also went to see Funny Girl with his camp. He liked it, thought it was cool seeing Jane Lynch. MJ was right across the street, letting out their matinee at the same time, and he was a little bitter that they didn't go to that instead.

The one I really want to get to before it ends in October is Come From Away. But don't think we can pull it off. Will have to catch it touring.

NY Theatre is my crack cocaine. I go to shows in NYC two or three times a year. The talent level is so amazing. I'm with Orange79 - I wish that theatres built before 1950 had legroom for a person over 5 feet tall.
  • First Show - Chorus Line (1979)
  • Most Recent Show - Hadestown (2019)
  • My Fav Shows I've seen on Broadway - Once (2013), Spring Awakening (2008), Come From Away (2017), In the Heights (2013), Sweeney Todd (1980), Into the Woods (1988)
  • Only time I've been starstruck - Meeting Patrick Stewart and Ian MacKellen after seeing them in Waiting For Godot.
My favorite thing is seeing shows that are previewing in small venues. I've seen around twenty shows in small theatres that later transferred to broadway. I've seen Hamilton, A Bands Visit, Fun Home, Dear Evan Hansen, and I'm going to see Secret Life of Bees in a few weeks, all in theatres with less than 300 seats and with their original broadway casts. Amazing experiences.
Some of your favorite shows are ones I wish I'd seen. A little trivia, Steve Kazee, who won best actor for Once, did theater in Syracuse for The Talent Company in the late 90s. I missed him by only a few years! I worked with them in the early to mid 90s.

Brought my son to see Book of Mormon last night and he really enjoyed it. I saw it with the original cast years ago. I've been told Hadestown is incredible, so I'm trying to find a way to get to see that. I'd love to see this run of Into The Woods as well.

maxxyz Something Rotten surprised me with how clever it was.
Chip Come From Away is fantastic. I remember on the Stern show Howard and Robin were bashing it as a 9/11 show. Mind you, neither had seen it. It's really not. As I heard someone put it, it's more a show about the days after when everyone pulled together. See it on tour if you can't make it to the City.

Brought my son to see Book of Mormon last night and he really enjoyed it. I saw it with the original cast years ago. I've been told Hadestown is incredible, so I'm trying to find a way to get to see that. I'd love to see this run of Into The Woods as well.

maxxyz Something Rotten surprised me with how clever it was.
Chip Come From Away is fantastic. I remember on the Stern show Howard and Robin were bashing it as a 9/11 show. Mind you, neither had seen it. It's really not. As I heard someone put it, it's more a show about the days after when everyone pulled together. See it on tour if you can't make it to the City.

Yeah, it's 9/11 related of course, but a pretty incredible story. I've heard the soundtrack, but just really like to see it performed live.

Book of Mormon is another where I've heard the soundtrack and would love to see the show. When South Park came out, no one realized how good those guys were at putting music together.

Yeah, it's 9/11 related of course, but a pretty incredible story. I've heard the soundtrack, but just really like to see it performed live.

Book of Mormon is another where I've heard the soundtrack and would love to see the show. When South Park came out, no one realized how good those guys were at putting music together.
You don't walk out of Come From Away humming any of the hit songs. It's not that type of show. You do walk out of the theater feeling a little bit better about humanity. That's probably a reason why it's had such a successful run.

Good thread. I haven't seen a ton of Broadway shows, but always seem to enjoy them when it happens. This is motivation to go see some more!

One of the coolest shows I ever saw was "Macbeth" with Patrick Stewart playing the title character. It was at a small theater in Brooklyn (BAM)
I love BAM (brooklyn academy of music). Great venues and if you're a little adventurous they have an amazing variety of music, dance & theatre productions. They do more productions in a year than most theatres.

Last edited:
I posted in the Stranger Things thread (because of Dustin being in the show), but my son and I went to Dear Evan Hanson a couple of weeks ago. Probably my favorite Broadway experience.

He also went to see Funny Girl with his camp. He liked it, thought it was cool seeing Jane Lynch. MJ was right across the street, letting out their matinee at the same time, and he was a little bitter that they didn't go to that instead.

The one I really want to get to before it ends in October is Come From Away. But don't think we can pull it off. Will have to catch it touring.
Come From Away was excellent when I saw it. Funny, clever, poignant, historical - It hit alot of marks for me. I hope you get the time to see it before it closes.

I’m just wondering who on the board enjoys Broadway shows or theater of any kind. I try and go to a show or two a year. Now that I’ve discovered the various lotteries, I hope to go more often. I just saw Mean Girls and Oklahoma this past week.
I go every so often. I mostly enjoy musicals. Curious about the lotteries.

Some of your favorite shows are ones I wish I'd seen. A little trivia, Steve Kazee, who won best actor for Once, did theater in Syracuse for The Talent Company in the late 90s. I missed him by only a few years! I worked with them in the early to mid 90s.
Have I got some Christine Lightcap stories for you...;)

I go every so often. I mostly enjoy musicals. Curious about the lotteries.
Lucky Seat and Broadway For Broke People are the two that I generally use. I live in NJ so I have the flexibility to be able to go on short notice. I’ve never paid more than $50 a ticket. Most seats are pretty decent. Last night at Book of Mormon was slightly obstructed view as I sat in the first Box stage right. The only other time I had obstructed view was Moulin Rouge when my view was slightly blocked by an elephant’s trunk. If you’re in the NYC area, I’d highly suggest it. If you’re coming into town, I might try it as a backup. Just because you win the lottery, it doesn’t commit you to the seats. You only pay if you decide to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom