Bryant game and looking at Niagara | Syracusefan.com

Bryant game and looking at Niagara

Orangezoo

In the wind
Ok so as we all sort of wait not so patiently for game 2 and hopefully a much better showing I did a little more analysis of just the first half vs Bryant defensively. The most interesting part is a lot of what we gave up was preventable or at least hypothetically. One thing that was really interesting was that in that first half- Buddy's defense was actually good. He wasn't the culprit much at all minus for a few speedbumps late in the half.

So here it goes-

Joe - 11 of Bryant's 51 points were the direct result of poor closeouts by Joe and one time where he played matador to a driver. They were half attempts he should have gotten to. In fairness most were against taller wings but still.

Buddy- only five points- one a poor closeout and the other a live ball turnover really fell on Buddy. He was solid defensively otherwise.

Griffin- 3 corner 3s including one where he was not in good position in transition were on him. He needs to get better here and gets a pass because he is the newest addition to the zone.

Quincy- only one real clear play stood out on a corner 3 where it's on Q, yet he like the rest failed in transition ( keep reading).

Richmond- two buckets are on the frosh. One where he played matador to a driver and another on the fastbreak where he was non commital and committed a ticky tack and one foul. Otherwise his defense was very solid overall. His cameo minus the few bad moments was excellent for a frosh.

The rest of the pts directly tied back to poor transition defense and poor execution of the press.
I have 20 pts not including FTs directly the result of Bryant scoring on the press or on the break. Some of those overlap with the above. The worst was the last quarter of the first half. Bryant scored 11 points beating the press once and then beating SU down the court four straight times in transition. SU showed it's game shape fatigue as everyone was huffing and puffing.

Another really obvious issue was that Marek missed several shots around the hoop despite having an otherwise good game and 3 of them as I counted turned into a fast break. The guards did an awful job rotating back quickly on those misses which should never happen.

When I look at tonight- there is a ton that can be corrected. Niagara will likely look to do well in the half court so the closeouts are key but we can't give up easy points on the break. We really handed Bryant 25-30 pts that should at least have been much more difficult. That is just the first half alone. Let's hope some practice, watching a little tape and getting game shape really shows up.

Ok so as we all sort of wait not so patiently for game 2 and hopefully a much better showing I did a little more analysis of just the first half vs Bryant defensively. The most interesting part is a lot of what we gave up was preventable or at least hypothetically. One thing that was really interesting was that in that first half- Buddy's defense was actually good. He wasn't the culprit much at all minus for a few speedbumps late in the half.

So here it goes-

Joe - 11 of Bryant's 51 points were the direct result of poor closeouts by Joe and one time where he played matador to a driver. They were half attempts he should have gotten to. In fairness most were against taller wings but still.

Buddy- only five points- one a poor closeout and the other a live ball turnover really fell on Buddy. He was solid defensively otherwise.

Griffin- 3 corner 3s including one where he was not in good position in transition were on him. He needs to get better here and gets a pass because he is the newest addition to the zone.

Quincy- only one real clear play stood out on a corner 3 where it's on Q, yet he like the rest failed in transition ( keep reading).

Richmond- two buckets are on the frosh. One where he played matador to a driver and another on the fastbreak where he was non commital and committed a ticky tack and one foul. Otherwise his defense was very solid overall. His cameo minus the few bad moments was excellent for a frosh.

The rest of the pts directly tied back to poor transition defense and poor execution of the press.
I have 20 pts not including FTs directly the result of Bryant scoring on the press or on the break. Some of those overlap with the above. The worst was the last quarter of the first half. Bryant scored 11 points beating the press once and then beating SU down the court four straight times in transition. SU showed it's game shape fatigue as everyone was huffing and puffing.

Another really obvious issue was that Marek missed several shots around the hoop despite having an otherwise good game and 3 of them as I counted turned into a fast break. The guards did an awful job rotating back quickly on those misses which should never happen.

When I look at tonight- there is a ton that can be corrected. Niagara will likely look to do well in the half court so the closeouts are key but we can't give up easy points on the break. We really handed Bryant 25-30 pts that should at least have been much more difficult. That is just the first half alone. Let's hope some practice, watching a little tape and getting game shape really shows up.

I'm not sure I agree with your premise that you can attribute so many made baskets directly to one person's defense, especially in a game where Bryant was operating with a numbers advantage on offense so often and our guys were scrambling. Sometimes a guy deserves kudos even when he gets scored against becaise he was out of his area trying to clean up somebody elses mistake.

But other than that I think your conclusions are spot on. Especially that our transition D hurt us but our set 2-3 was actually pretty good.

You are also one of the few (seemingly) to realize that Buddy was very good on D in this game. In my opinion he was the best player on the court on both the defensive and offensive side of the ball.

Hope to see more of this from you.

I'm not sure I agree with your premise that you can attribute so many made baskets directly to one person's defense, especially in a game where Bryant was operating with a numbers advantage on offense so often and our guys were scrambling. Sometimes a guy deserves kudos even when he gets scored against becaise he was out of his area trying to clean ip somebody elses mistake.

But other than that Ithink your conclusions are spot on. Especially that our transition D hurt us but our set 2-3 was actually pretty good.

You are also one of the few (seemingly) to realize that Buddy was very good on D in this game. In my opinion he was the best player on the court on both the defensive and offensive side of the ball.

Hope to see more of this from you.

Yeah I was trying to look at it as who really had ownership of the defensive struggles. When I watched I was looking at specific instances. For instance Joe's close outs stuck out as did Griffin's rotations where he came up too high too often. Now is that one guy? I mean yes and no. In Joe's case- if he is giving up 5 inches not sure he makes a difference. The one thing that really stuck out as a team was transition defense. If we back out the zone for a moment, transition defense was awful. A lot of that was in bunches and the result of what looked like tired legs but also disorganization of both stopping the ball handler and guarding the shooters. You see that in the beginning of the second half as well before we finally seem to start to actually grab ahold of ourselves and get into the game for real.

Completely agree on Buddy. It sticks out when you rewatch it. He had a couple slip ups as any human does but otherwise he absolutely was not the reason our defense struggled.

Another guy who didn't get the time to really be analyzed but was beaten up more than he should have was Frank. On the fast break both he and Quincy had no communication- which wasn't all on Frank as it was a failure of the team. He looked better than I thought rewatching the tape. My favorite thing was on one defensive possession he actually sought out a body and boxed his man out and it resulted in an easy rebound and the ability to push the ball.

With Marek at C early, the fact is there will be open shots all over. Question is can we make them. We couldn't for a long while against Bryant. We should be able to shoot 50 plus pct against these teams given the looks.

For anyone looking for a Niagara preview, we've got a full breakdown of the SU bigs, Niagara scouting report and some analytics in our preview podcast. Check it out and subscribe if you want daily Syracuse podcasts in your feed every weekday!

So last night I dreamed I was eating supper with the Boeheims. I told Jim that it was his anniversary and he hadn’t bought Julie a present. He looked irritated and told Buddy to go find an anniversary present and for me to go with Buddy to make sure he did it. We hopped on motorcycles and Buddy’s quickly lost me. Then there was an alien invasion. I rode around for a while but decided I better go back before an alien zapped me. I was worried that I had lost Buddy.

Do your think this was about the zone defense?

So last night I dreamed I was eating supper with the Boeheims. I told Jim that it was his anniversary and he hadn’t bought Julie a present. He looked irritated and told Buddy to go find an anniversary present and for me to go with Buddy to make sure he did it. We hopped on motorcycles and Buddy’s quickly lost me. Then there was an alien invasion. I rode around for a while but decided I better go back before an alien zapped me. I was worried that I had lost Buddy.

I think we have a post of the day!

... last night I dreamed ... there was an alien invasion. I rode around for a while but decided I better go back before an alien zapped me. ...

By any chance did you see one of these in your dream?

Yes...now drink

Are you saying it was Joe's responsibility to keep the aliens out of our atmosphere?

Don't eat the brown acid...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom