BTN Penn State Piece | Syracusefan.com

BTN Penn State Piece

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
This weekend.

According to the BTN analyists the Lions have great talent on the OL and DL along with a great WR and very talented CBs.

The problem for PSU is depth - only 66 scholarship players and the uncertainty at QB.

We better be prepared to run a lot of folks at them in two weeks - and pressure the QB - likely the Jr. College transfer.

If the defense plays as hard as they have in the past few years, we can wear PSU down and make the lack of depth a major issue.

This weekend.

According to the BTN analyists the Lions have great talent on the OL and DL along with a great WR and very talented CBs.

The problem for PSU is depth - only 66 scholarship players and the uncertainty at QB.

We better be prepared to run a lot of folks at them in two weeks - and pressure the QB - likely the Jr. College transfer.

That will make a difference in game 6, it's not going to have much, if any, impact the first game of the year.

The key is going to be what can Shafer dial up to mess with a QB playing their first D-1 game.

That will make a difference in game 6, it's not going to have much, if any, impact the first game of the year.

The key is going to be what can Shafer dial up to mess with a QB playing their first D-1 game.

Yeah, that's pretty much my take too. Lack of depth won't be as much of a factor as some here would want you to believe.

And if hear the announcers gushing all over PSU and all they have "had to endure" I'm going to break something.

I understand your reasoning(i.e. injuries) but I completely disagree that fatigue won't play a role with limited roster numbers.

If Ped St doesn't have enough trustworthy bodies to work into a rotation on the DL and LB's they'll be completely gassed by the 4th quarter. Especially, if we play offense with last year's pace. I can't remember a game last season that the opposing defense wasn't sucking wind come the 4th quarter.

Not to mention, with only 66 scholarship players, they will be using some starters on special teams. With all the points we are going to rack up, their kickoff return team will be exhausted! And their punt coverage team too!

I understand your reasoning(i.e. injuries) but I completely disagree that fatigue won't play a role with limited roster numbers.

If Ped St doesn't have enough trustworthy bodies to work into a rotation on the DL and LB's they'll be completely gassed by the 4th quarter. Especially, if we play offense with last year's pace. I can't remember a game last season that the opposing defense wasn't sucking wind come the 4th quarter.

Yeah, there's a difference between a shorthanded team wearing down during the season due to injuries, and a likely shorthanded defense wearing down during a game because they're being forced to run and aren't given time to set up.

The piece is noteworthy in that while PSU has "great talent on the OL and DL along with a great WR and very talented CBs" they don't have great talent elsewhere. They are not the balanced team that they historically have been. O'Brien will do a good job using the tools he has/ If we have our D as of late and the offense is clicking like I think McDonald will have them doing, at least functionally, we will be balanced and be able to absorb the shock of the great talents and play to PSU's weaknesses.

Their "talented" CB's listing tops on their depth chart had a combined 1 tackle 0 int's 0 passes broken up in 2012. Their top CB last year, Amos, was moved to safety and had 31 tackles, 2 int's, and 3 passes broken up. Neither Williams nor Lucas were high level recruits. The graduated SR they are replacing had 41 tackles 0 int's 5 passes broken up.

Keon had 37 tackles, 3 int's, and 7 passes broken up; Rishard 29/1/2; Reddish 23/1/2 for comparisons sake.

did they talk about their quarterback situation? they haven't named a starter yet and the choices are the 10 star true freshman, christian macklenburg or the juco transfer Tyler Fergusan.

macklenburg has been on campus since august and fergusan was here for spring. they are WAY more green at QB than we are.

they have 6 linebackers and the top reserve who's a pseudo starter is day to day with an injury.

did they talk about their quarterback situation? they haven't named a starter yet and the choices are the 10 star true freshman, christian macklenburg or the juco transfer Tyler Fergusan.

macklenburg has been on campus since august and fergusan was here for spring. they are WAY more green at QB than we are.

they have 6 linebackers and the top reserve who's a pseudo starter is day to day with an injury.

Hackenberg, not Macklenburg. I think he'll be the real deal BUT not year 1 game 1. Glad we're facing him when we are and not 2 years from now if he's the starter. Ferguson looked pedestrian in the Spring but knows the offense a bit better since he's been there.

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/201...arterback-tyler-ferguson-christian-hackenberg

Yes.

Ferguson is ahead at this point. It sounds as if he will be the starter.

Hackenberg is all of what he was described as being in HS - he warrants the five stars according to the BTN guys.

But Ferguson's experience will likely get him the job.

Not to mention, with only 66 scholarship players, they will be using some starters on special teams. With all the points we are going to rack up, their kickoff return team will be exhausted! And their punt coverage team too!

PSU guy here. Thought I'd drop in. Don't forget we had 67 scholarships last year. We have 66 this year and did NOT just lose our best running back AND our best wide receiver. I think we're in a better position right now than we were a year ago.

PSU guy here. Thought I'd drop in. Don't forget we had 67 scholarships last year. We have 66 this year and did NOT just lose our best running back AND our best wide receiver. I think we're in a better position right now than we were a year ago.

You didn't play us last year.

I love the idea of PSU reducing the contact/tackling during the preseason. SU is going to give them hell for 60 minutes. Our run game is going to take this game over in the 2nd half. Lack of depth will be a factor for PSU.

You didn't play us last year.

And you didn't play us, what's your point? Do you think Syracuse strikes fear into our hearts? We did beat a couple of okay teams last year in case you were unaware. We beat Northwestern, which Syracuse couldn't. We also beat a Wisconsin team that gave Stanford all it could handle so we finished strong as well.

All Im saying is, using the scholarships as a main reason for why you'll beat us isn't really a valid argument, seeing we are in a much better position this year than we were last year.

I love the idea of PSU reducing the contact/tackling during the preseason. SU is going to give them hell for 60 minutes. Our run game is going to take this game over in the 2nd half. Lack of depth will be a factor for PSU.

Do you think reduced contact and tackling will make that much of a difference in a game? You'd be surprised at how little live hitting coaches like to do and how much they hate it.

Do you think reduced contact and tackling will make that much of a difference in a game? You'd be surprised at how little live hitting coaches like to do and how much they hate it.

Yes I do. Scott Shafer, Mike Tomlin, and many other coaches do as well thus them emphasising contact this year. In 2009 we limited contact due to scholarship numbers similar to Penn State currently. It didn't have stellar results.

Now, may I ask, do you think Penn State could possibly lose to Syracuse week 1?

Yes I do. Scott Shafer, Mike Tomlin, and many other coaches do as well thus them emphasising contact this year. In 2009 we limited contact due to scholarship numbers similar to Penn State currently. It didn't have stellar results.

Now, may I ask, do you think Penn State could possibly lose to Syracuse week 1?

Absolutely I think Penn State could lose to Syracuse. I do not think it will be because of scholarships. I don't think it will be because Syracuse will attack depth isues. If Syracuse wins the game, it will be because they were the better team and that's very possible.

This Penn State team is better, all around, than last year's. Point to the quarterback all you want but we fans wanted McGloin nowhere near Penn State. He was a very poor QB his first 3 years. O'Brien had him break numerous Penn State passing records. I am a lot less worried about our current QB situation than I have been before. Syracuse ended on a very strong note last year and had a good run to end the season. They looked strong. This will be a good game but there is a reason Penn State is favored by a touchdown (currently 7 1/2 at the Las Vegas Hotel), while having such large, as you guys think, disadvantages.

And you didn't play us, what's your point? Do you think Syracuse strikes fear into our hearts? We did beat a couple of okay teams last year in case you were unaware. We beat Northwestern, which Syracuse couldn't. We also beat a Wisconsin team that gave Stanford all it could handle so we finished strong as well.

All Im saying is, using the scholarships as a main reason for why you'll beat us isn't really a valid argument, seeing we are in a much better position this year than we were last year.

We beat SEC Mizzou at Mizzou, they said we were the hardest hitting team they played.
We gave USC all they could handle for 3 quarters. Their NFL-caliber WR's said our secondary was the best they saw all year. 3/4 are back plus all reserves.
Louisville came into the dome with one of the best QB's in the nation and they got smacked down. (After which they went on to beat Florida in their BCS game).
WVU is still buried under the snow at Yankee stadium.

Now - here's why you're not in a better position than last year. You have a 1st year QB playing against a proven D that tends to eat QBs alive. If we win - it won't be because of scholarships. You're right. It will be because we were better. I'd be more worried than you seem to be.

We have potential issues of our own that need sorting - but rest assured, this is not the same program you whooped on in the GRob era.