Bud and the Manchild discuss last night's box score | Syracusefan.com

Bud and the Manchild discuss last night's box score

SWC75

Bored Historian
Bud Poliquin calls his old show once a week to chat with his old partner, (I suspect he still owns a piece of it), Jim Lerch, alias The Manchild. Today they were discussing last night's championship game, especially the box score:

Lerch pointed out that, of the 10 starters, two guys played 40 minutes, another played 38, another 37, two more 36 and another 34. The others played 30, 29 and 27. The Tarheels had a 6th man, Puff Johnson, who played 18 minutes. Their only other participant played 2 minutes and didn't score. Kansas also had a 6th man and a very important one, Remy Martin, who played 21 minutes. Two other guys played 7 and 2 minutes. The 7-minute guy scored 2 points. Twelve players played 389 of the 400 minutes (97.25%) and scored 137 of the 141 points (97.2%).

Lerch suggested that this put to lie the notion that a coach has got to play a lot of players to be successful. Bud acknowledged the point but still wishes that "coaches would do a better job of developing their bench, not to win a game but in case of the inevitable injuries." However, he rejected the notion that games are lost due to fatigue. "They just get going and already there's a time out".

I would add that, with 6 new players coming in who hopefully will provide the nucleus for a revival of the program in the next few years, and the transfer portal always looming, I hope Jim will make sure that all the new guys get plenty of chances to show what they can do next year before he settles into his final rotation.

Bud Poliquin calls his old show once a week to chat with his old partner, (I suspect he still owns a piece of it), Jim Lerch, alias The Manchild. Today they were discussing last night's championship game, especially the box score:

Lerch pointed out that, of the 10 starters, two guys played 40 minutes, another played 38, another 37, two more 36 and another 34. The others played 30, 29 and 27. The Tarheels had a 6th man, Puff Johnson, who played 18 minutes. Their only other participant played 2 minutes and didn't score. Kansas also had a 6th man and a very important one, Remy Martin, who played 21 minutes. Two other guys played 7 and 2 minutes. The 7-minute guy scored 2 points. Twelve players played 389 of the 400 minutes (97.25%) and scored 137 of the 141 points (97.2%).

Lerch suggested that this put to lie the notion that a coach has got to play a lot of players to be successful. Bud acknowledged the point but still wishes that "coaches would do a better job of developing their bench, not to win a game but in case of the inevitable injuries." However, he rejected the notion that games are lost due to fatigue. "They just get going and already there's a time out".

I would add that, with 6 new players coming in who hopefully will provide the nucleus for a revival of the program in the next few years, and the transfer portal always looming, I hope Jim will make sure that all the new guys get plenty of chances to show what they can do next year before he settles into his final rotation.
wait, didn't one of the guys actually hurl on the court, demonstrating that it's really difficult for anyone to maintain that frenetic pace for an entire half, let alone a game? Bacot rolled his ankle late due to fatigue. Not in favor of such a broad brush, reality is it of course varies game to game, year to year, depending on personnel and style of play. it doesn't have to be 1 rigid rule to follow, always, no matter what.

wait, didn't one of the guys actually hurl on the court, demonstrating that it's really difficult for anyone to maintain that frenetic pace for an entire half, let alone a game? Bacot rolled his ankle late due to fatigue. Not in favor of such a broad brush, reality is it of course varies game to game, year to year, depending on personnel and style of play. it doesn't have to be 1 rigid rule to follow, always, no matter what.
Bacot's ankle was already compromised, and apparently Johnson took a shot to the solar plexus which is why he heaved on the court. Not so sure the pace of play had anything to do with either scenario

The title game is essentially a game 7.

You will tighten the bench, especially with talented players, and play who you can because there is no next game. It's apples to oranges.

NBA guys will sometimes go 45mins to the full game in a game 7 if needed.

It's an outlier of a situation from even the rest of the tournament and especially the regular season.

The guy who was spitting up on the court took a gut punch which caused it. Bacot rolling his ankle has been the talk on some radio shows. I haven’t looked for the replay yet but they say when he planted his foot, the floor moved. Like the dome, the floor is made up of many rectangular pieces connected together. One must have been a bit loose. During the game I saw a few guys slip in the same area.

You will tighten the bench, especially with talented players, and play who you can because there is no next game. It's apples to oranges.

It's an outlier of a situation from even the rest of the tournament and especially the regular season.
KU and Carolina played short bench all year.

The guy that hurled played 18 minutes.

The guy who was spitting up on the court took a gut punch which caused it. Bacot rolling his ankle has been the talk on some radio shows. I haven’t looked for the replay yet but they say when he planted his foot, the floor moved. Like the dome, the floor is made up of many rectangular pieces connected together. One must have been a bit loose. During the game I saw a few guys slip in the same area.

The floor popped up a bit, crazy. It seems like that wouldn't be a natural flex in the floor, right? People are debating this, but that doesn't seem like an acceptable amount of flex.

The guy that hurled played 18 minutes.
right. he would have played more, but since he didn't, heavy minutes for the others are skewed and not based solely on coaches discretion. To conclude from the box score that only playing 5.5 guys is the answer to make all teams better is a fallacy.

Armando Bacot playing 37 Minutes in the National Championship game vs Jimmy Boeheim playing 37 vs Wake Forest in January is not the same.

Armando Bacot playing 37 Minutes in the National Championship game vs Jimmy Boeheim playing 37 vs Wake Forest in January is not the same.
I think the point is you don’t have to play 10 or 11 guys.We all know JB played Jimmy more minutes than maybe he should have but “ Daddy Ball” is a entirely different conversation.

I think the point is you don’t have to play 10 or 11 guys.We all know JB played Jimmy more minutes than maybe he should have but “ Daddy Ball” is a entirely different conversation.
The situations are not comparable. The National Championship game cannot be compared to any other game. You're going to play your best players more minutes. Plus, the caliber of player is night and day. It doesn't matter if it's Jimmy or Jesse or any other player.
Listen, if Cuse is in the National Championship, I could not care less about minutes for ANY player.

The situations are not comparable. The National Championship game cannot be compared to any other game. You're going to play your best players more minutes. Plus, the caliber of player is night and day. It doesn't matter if it's Jimmy or Jesse or any other player.
Listen, if Cuse is in the National Championship, I could not care less about minutes for ANY player.
Carolina played basically 6 guys all year.

Yeah. Not a great take by Lerch. Ignores a huge sampling issue with some pretty meaningful context.

In the playoffs a dominant starter will get called in from the bullpen because he's the best guy.

Nobody advocates for doing that and risking burning the starter's arm out in the regular season.

Yeah. Not a great take by Lerch. Ignores a huge sampling issue with some pretty meaningful context.

In the playoffs a dominant starter will get called in from the bullpen because he's the best guy.

Nobody advocates for doing that and risking burning the starter's arm out in the regular season.
How do we explain all the Final Four teams basically having a short bench all season.

The floor popped up a bit, crazy. It seems like that wouldn't be a natural flex in the floor, right? People are debating this, but that doesn't seem like an acceptable amount of flex.

It was crazy and was probably factor in him twisting his already sore ankle. I’ve seen the carrier dome floor go down and it’s a bunch of rectangular floor pieces that snap together like a puzzle. It seems like one piece may not have been tightly fitting. Unless it’s the sub floor that was an issue. SU used, or did, a blue plastic type sub floor that is like the actual floor and snaps together. Maybe there was a defect that caused the wooden floor to buckle some. Shouldn’t have happened no matter the cause.

According to the commentators, the team doctor said he got hit in the gut and had the wind knocked out of him. He was ready to go once he caught his breath again.

What I saw that struck me from the box score is how very little any underclassman played for either team. Kansas played 2 redshirt sophomores so they obviously were there for 3 years. UNC played only one sophomore, that Puff Johnson, who only averaged 10 minutes a game during the season. Experience matters. Amazing that they can stockpile players who stay 3 to 4 years. UNC was fortunate to pick up that Manek kid after losing their first player, Kessler, who refused to be stockpiled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom