Buddy Boeheim Redshirt? | Syracusefan.com

Buddy Boeheim Redshirt?

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
I know this has been mentioned before and all posters in the know and from the outside have brushed it off and said there’s no way Buddy redshirts.

But with Battle returning & Hughes capable of playing both the 2 & the 3 (at least we think), I just don’t see many minutes available for Buddy next year.

Does anyone think this is even a remote possibility? Feel like by the time he’s later in his college career, he could be a Rautins-type guy in that he knows the game and could be a big factor for the additional year at the tail end rather than him playing sparingly in 2018-19.

I hope that HW does redshirt. I don’t want him to be discouraged by the lack of playing time this year and then transfer out. Not sure how his rehab will go but redshirting could keep him in Orange. I really like his potential for his Jr and Sr years.

At this point nothing would surprise me. We know boeheim isn't going to play more than 8 once his rotation gets set (if that). And it seems frank, tyus, jalen are the backcourt, ob, marek and hughes the forwards, plus the 2 centers. So it'll probably just come down to whether it looks like buddy can compete against carey for minutes or not. If carey clearly is going to get those 10 or 15 minutes a game spelling frank and tyus, why burn a year of buddy's eligibility?

Does anyone think this is even a remote possibility?
Have you considered the possibility that Buddy might have learned over the past few years listening to his dad just how important it is for a Syracuse guard to be a defensive force at the top of the zone? Sure, being able to hit open threes is a valuable contribution, but if that's all you got, and the team can get by without it, you might not see much game time and you'd maybe want to red shirt.

But if Buddy has seen his Dad's mind and has developed a desire to be one of the best at playing at the top of the zone, forcing turnovers, don't you think he would in fact play himself onto the court in a big way? Remember how much time Cooney played? It wasn't because his shot was always dropping, was it?

Have you considered the possibility that Buddy might have learned over the past few years listening to his dad just how important it is for a Syracuse guard to be a defensive force at the top of the zone? Sure, being able to hit open threes is a valuable contribution, but if that's all you got, and the team can get by without it, you might not see much game time and you'd maybe want to red shirt.

But if Buddy has seen his Dad's mind and has developed a desire to be one of the best at playing at the top of the zone, forcing turnovers, don't you think he would in fact play himself onto the court in a big way? Remember how much time Cooney played? It wasn't because his shot was always dropping, was it?

Remember when Cooney redshirted as a true freshman?

Oh how times change with the flick of a switch and now our problem is too many good players. I want everyone happy so no one leaves

At this point nothing would surprise me. We know boeheim isn't going to play more than 8 once his rotation gets set (if that). And it seems frank, tyus, jalen are the backcourt, ob, marek and hughes the forwards, plus the 2 centers. So it'll probably just come down to whether it looks like buddy can compete against carey for minutes or not. If carey clearly is going to get those 10 or 15 minutes a game spelling frank and tyus, why burn a year of buddy's eligibility?
Very few coaches go past 8 players--see Coach K, burying McD's on his bench.

SWC did research on playing time a few years ago, and came up with some very interesting results. When JB has viable contributors on his bench, he will play them.

He's much better than Rautins was out of high school. Braswell or Washington would redshirt before buddy.

Id prefer Washington. I d rather have BB (and braswells) shooting.

I hope that HW does redshirt. I don’t want him to be discouraged by the lack of playing time this year and then transfer out. Not sure how his rehab will go but redshirting could keep him in Orange. I really like his potential for his Jr and Sr years.
My thoughts exactly! I love his long term potential as a very solid floor general!

I don't see any situation where there is an either Braswell or Boeheim redshirts dynamic, in that I don't think the two have much at all to do with each other.

Rotation:

Guard - Franklin Howard (1)
Guard - Tyus Battle (2)
Guard - Jalen Carey (3)
G, Forward - Elijah Hughes (4)
Forward - Oshae Brissett (5)
Forward - Marek Dolezaj (6)
Center - Pascal Chuckwu (7)
Center - Bourama Sidibe (8)

It would seem like those 8 players are unquestionably going to be in the rotation. We all know JB doesn't go much beyond 8 as he works toward settling on a late season rotation.

With that mix I don't see any way at all that there are minutes available, barring significant injuries, for Howard Washington. If he couldn't really get on the court last year, he will not see the court this year with the insertion of Carey, Hughes and potentially Boeheim in the competition for minutes at guard.

Beyond the 8 above, it seems like Braswell has the clearest path to some minutes because we are thinnest at the PF/C position and Siidibe's health is an unknown. If Sidibe comes back 100%, I think the potential for Braswell getting minutes next season decreases. If Sidibe is not 100% then the potential for him to get minutes increases as we will have to work at combinations to fill 80 minutes at the PF/C positions.

Seems to me like the only way Boeheim gets minutes is if Carey or Hughes surprise to the negative and aren't as capable as we are expecting them to be (or there is an injury that significantly changes the rotation).

That said there is also enough uncertainty that I am not sure we burn a redshirt on either guy because JB will probably want to get them at least some minutes against the Colgates on the schedule. Not getting Howard Washington early minutes all but guaranteed he wouldn't be truly useful late in the season after we had lost Thorpe and needed someone else to provide minutes at guard.

Last edited:
If Buddy is the shooter many sources say he is, he could simply be used in situations where you want or need a 3pt shooter for a limited time.

Remember when Cooney redshirted as a true freshman?
I get your point here, but my point focused on the possibility that Buddy might have an anticipatory edge, given his inside information the past few years. If there is good reason to assume that he's little more than another Cooney clone, then a red shirt is to be expected, of course...

Buddy may out work others and earn minutes. He a lights out shooter. He probably literally has taken more shots at the Dome baskets than anyone. Home court for him. He knows and understands the zone probably as good as his dad. You better believe they talk B.B. a lot over the years. Buddy wants this more than anyone and it’s dream come true. He is gonna outwork most everyone out there except for Tyus, maybe.i will not write him off till practices say otherwise

I hate to be the one who says it, but someone is going to go down during the year. Whether it's a few weeks for a high ankle sprain, or a full season with an ACL. I think that randomness is gonna determine who we have the luxury of redshirting.

Buddy may out work others and earn minutes. He a lights out shooter. He probably literally has taken more shots at the Dome baskets than anyone. Home court for him. He knows and understands the zone probably as good as his dad. You better believe they talk B.B. a lot over the years. Buddy wants this more than anyone and it’s dream come true. He is gonna outwork most everyone out there except for Tyus, maybe.i will not write him off till practices say otherwise

He's also still growing and is likely to be over 8 feet tall by the time he graduates at the top of his class in 2 years.

I kid, I kid

You're point about shooting at the Dome is likely on the money though.

Buddy likely redshirts??

I do not agree that he will likely be the first candidate to red shirt

I can assure you that this article was not written by me.

I would also say that he probably isn't the first candidate but might be the optimal candidate.

Washington would probably be the top candidate given his injury. I just don't see how Boeheim is going to play any minutes that mean anything with Battle/Hughes/Carey/Howard all viable options in the backcourt.

Buddy likely redshirts??

I do not agree that he will likely be the first candidate to red shirt

This guy is awful. His show sucks and is worse than Lindsleys and he sucks on the manchild show.

There are about 50 people that post on this board I'd rather listen to talk sports than this dolt.

I've never listened to somebody who's so clueless be given pretty much two shows to spout his nonsense.

After the first month of practice it should be obvious who should red shirt IF anyone does. I'm not convinced that anyone has to red shirt or will unless they choose to do it.

This guy is awful. His show sucks and is worse than Lindsleys and he sucks on the manchild show.

There are about 50 people that post on this board I'd rather listen to talk sports than this dolt.

I've never listened to somebody who's so clueless be given pretty much two shows to spout his nonsense.
Worse than Lindsley? That is quite a statement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom