Buddy/Jimmy NIL results | Syracusefan.com

Buddy/Jimmy NIL results

florange44

Scout Team
I heard a podcast with Coach Boeheim yesterday where he said that Buddy “probably made 100k from NIL” and Jimmy “made about 30k”.

I had not heard numbers before. In both cases, the amounts were higher than I expected. Maybe we aren’t as far behind in NIL for the 50-100 type of players? Clearly we are way behind with the top 15 or so. It does make me wonder how we got Judah and how much he’ll get.

Florange44

Was he all of those things? He certainly is savvy and likeable, but I don't know that he is any more savvy or likeable than a number of other former players we've had. Most connected seems accurate. Support? From the fanbase I'd say that was mixed.

Some people would buy his stuff or see him as an endorser because of his last name or they appreciate how far he came during his time here. I don't think that overcomes star power and team success, though.

GMac would've cleaned up, with as much as he was loved here and his popularity back in Scranton. His performances in the NC game, against BYU as a sophomore, and in the Big East tourney as a senior would've caused spikes in his marketability that Buddy never had. Then the superstars we've had like Melo, Wallace, Owens, DC, Pearl, etc. would've killed it too. They likely would've had a national reach nobody we've had in a while has had. I've heard people with no ties to CNY or SU say they became SU basketball fans because of those guys and the elite levels of success with them raised the profile of both them and the program.

I heard a podcast with Coach Boeheim yesterday where he said that Buddy “probably made 100k from NIL” and Jimmy “made about 30k”.

I had not heard numbers before. In both cases, the amounts were higher than I expected. Maybe we aren’t as far behind in NIL for the 50-100 type of players? Clearly we are way behind with the top 15 or so. It does make me wonder how we got Judah and how much he’ll get.

Florange44
Thanks for sharing, my friend. Possible to share the link for that podcast? Would love to listen in!

I sort of took the opposite stance. The most connected, savvy, likeable and supported kid in school history only made $100,000. That seemed light to me.
There was baggage that worked against him. And he played for a losing team. This wasn’t dion waiters star power.

Last edited:
Wasn't it only about a couple months ago, on a local radio show, where Coach, somewhat irritated, denied (then) rumors that Buddy had netted 6 figures, and insisted it was more like upper 4/lower 5? Things might have changed since then, but it's good to see it doesn't matter much to him in the long run, assuming the income is mostly fleeting, anyway.

I wonder if there's an international agency that specializes in promoting endorsement for sub-NBA players here or abroad who have some popularity, success or likeability to build on. Make a quarter million in Turkey or Israel or the Far East, then tack on an extra 50K for a snack ad or something. That would make a big difference to most players.

I think 100K for a year isn’t too bad especially on a .500 team. The university should obviously be able to provide better, but I still am not sure how much of this is on the school to set things up versus on the alumni to actually get the money flowing.

I sort of took the opposite stance. The most connected, savvy, likeable and supported kid in school history only made $100,000. That seemed light to me.

I think $100,000 (or $150,000 as another article said) is very good for a senior who was selling clothing, cereal, and making cameo appearances. It’s real NIL and seems like a nice piece of change.

I think $100,000 (or $150,000 as another article said) is very good for a senior who was selling clothing, cereal, and making cameo appearances. It’s real NIL and seems like a nice piece of change.
Agree if we are talking about the original idea of NIL, which I think you and I are very much on the same page on.

That’s way more than I thought he’d make considering how poorly the team performed among other factors.

Makes me think players that lead top 25 cuse teams could make multiples of that.

Buddy is a smart, well mannered, friendly, good college basketball player.

But was he a fan favorite?

Didn't say it wasn't. Personally thought it would be more.

I think 100K for a year isn’t too bad especially on a .500 team. The university should obviously be able to provide better, but I still am not sure how much of this is on the school to set things up versus on the alumni to actually get the money flowing.
FWIW - The schools are not allowed to "provide better".

Im 10000x more interested in hearing what Sean Tucker makes.

Very interested in what Girard and/or Mintz make if we return to tournament calibre ball next year too.

Last edited:
GMac would’ve done well.
“Ball hard D Waiters”

We’ve had numerous players who would’ve earned better.

Playing well at Cuse holds some clout.

Especially back in the BET days. Jerseys sales, etc. crazy that time of year

Thanks for sharing, my friend. Possible to share the link for that podcast? Would love to listen in!
I’m not tech savvy enough to share a link here but the podcast was on a pod called Youth, Inc. the host is Greg Olson the former NFL player. The date was May 11.

Hope you can find it. Interesting discussion about parents and youth sports and the Boeheim kids experience with youth sports. JB was quite candid.

Florang44

Here it is for those interested...
Definitely worth a watch/listen. Under 7 minutes.

I gotta say, Jim is still sharp as a tack with these questions. This is a man who, for all his warts, represents the school as well as anyone has ever represented their school before (when he has his "i'm selling syracuse hat" on). The cranky Jim has always been what the media likes to dunk on but this is the good Jim. We are here for the kids, we are a family, and we will win.

It's not surprising we have a program of success

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom