Buddy | Syracusefan.com

Buddy

Cuseball

Starter
A lot of things don’t make sense about tonight and there is tons of blame to go around. However, on of the biggest mysteries is the amount of run Buddy is getting. I believe in him and think he will be a contributor by year 3 or 4. But Right now he is so painfully slow that he is a massive liability on the defensive end. He absolutely can not close out. When we tried to press he just can’t cover the passing lanes. A quicker player would have intercepted several of those cross court passes by tech. Besides hitting a few threes (20% clip)

It just does not seem right that a player of his caliber is playing this much. Tonight everyone struggled but in the first half with the game tied buddy got a 4-5 minute stretch. Why? We would be much better off with any of the top 7 players getting those minutes instead.
Feeding Carey minutes would have been a much better long term strategy than given multiple chances to Buddy.

I think this may be having a negative impact on the team and I could easily see why players would be frustrated.

Cuse!

See I think we are in desperate need of NOT TAKING 3 pointers.

Would you have preferred shot clock violations? We couldn’t get the ball into the lane and do much more than turn it over.

Agree that we’re not shooting a high enough 3 point percentage to shoot as many as we do normally. However I didn’t feel like we could get anything on the interior either, usually I feel like we can if we tried.

Would you have preferred shot clock violations? We couldn’t get the ball into the lane and do much more than turn it over.

Agree that we’re not shooting a high enough 3 point percentage to shoot as many as we do normally. However I didn’t feel like we could get anything on the interior either, usually I feel like we can if we tried.

This is not a team that should be shooting 30 threes. For a couple games there we had a lot of guys making an effort to move without the ball. I don't buy that Josh Pastner is some defensive genius. We have to play better than that.

He provided a little excitement with the consecutive 3’s in the second half but then missed 3 or 4 wide open shots after that.

Buddy has a great shot and high IQ. However, he is really slow and can’t keep up on defense, get to loose balls I’m afraid he is a liability in the ACC. Don’t like where the program is going. Afraid we were waited too long on Hop could get ugly

Buddy has a great shot and high IQ. However, he is really slow and can’t keep up on defense, get to loose balls I’m afraid he is a liability in the ACC. Don’t like where the program is going. Afraid we were waited too long on Hop could get ugly

The defense was no worse than him in the game than others and honestly if he’s slow I’m not sure what that makes Frank Howard because he beat him up the court multiple times yesterday.

yeah you cannot get the ball in the lane if all of your players are 25-30 feet from the hoop playing hot potato - and the "center" cannot catch so never gets passed to.

the approach to getting the ball into 2 point territory was the problem - they couldve done other things instead of pass around the perimeter for the first 20 seconds of every possession.

The defense was no worse than him in the game than others and honestly if he’s slow I’m not sure what that makes Frank Howard because he beat him up the court multiple times yesterday.
it was way worse. Gt got multiple uncontested fastbreak layups that didn't happen once when buddy was on the bench. buddy also is a non-entity on the press - carey wouldve had multpile steals if he had been playing instead of buddy during the press. Also GT scored at will when Buddy was in the game -they couldnt get any stops with him on the court.

AS I watched the game - and kept expecting Buddy to be subbed out - and he wasn't - I thought it must be JB sending a message to Frank - and purposefully throwing the game. Because playing Buddy that many minutes was tantamount to gauranteeing a loss.

JB was proably thinking having a 3 point threat on teh floor would open things up for others - good thought - but the net impact of having Buddy on the floor was a negative BY FAR. if he had hit 3 or 4 more shots instead of all those misses - it wouldve been worth it - but it didnt happen and it won't at this stage in his career - he's too green.

it was way worse. Gt got multiple uncontested fastbreak layups that didn't happen once when buddy was on the bench. buddy also is a non-entity on the press - carey wouldve had multpile steals if he had been playing instead of buddy during the press. Also GT scored at will when Buddy was in the game -they couldnt get any stops with him on the court.

AS I watched the game - and kept expecting Buddy to be subbed out - and he wasn't - I thought it must be JB sending a message to Frank - and purposefully throwing the game. Because playing Buddy that many minutes was tantamount to gauranteeing a loss.

JB was proably thinking having a 3 point threat on teh floor would open things up for others - good thought - but the net impact of having Buddy on the floor was a negative BY FAR.

The fast break layups were because we were in the press and one other time guys quit running back and JB ripped them.

The team has lots of issues but Buddy is way down the list of them. I know he’s the coaches son and people want to prove nepotism here, but yesterday is the worst game to prove that. When he initially came in the lead was cut form about 16 to 10 so there really wasn’t a reason to take him out when literally nobody else can throw it in the ocean.

Frank Howard is slow and not a top ACC PG. he got beat down the court two times in row a major turning point. Buddy is slower than Frank, not good

Frank Howard is slow and not a top ACC PG. he got beat down the court two times in row a major turning point. Buddy is slower than Frank, not good

Yeah we obviously aren’t on the same wavelength. Go listen to the coaches presser.

The fast break layups were because we were in the press and one other time guys quit running back and JB ripped them.

The team has lots of issues but Buddy is way down the list of them. I know he’s the coaches son and people want to prove nepotism here, but yesterday is the worst game to prove that. When he initially came in the lead was cut form about 16 to 10 so there really wasn’t a reason to take him out when literally nobody else can throw it in the ocean.
nope. he failed to rotate and get back - and he lost a few 50-50 balls that lead to uncontested breakaways.

It wasnt because of the press at all - even if it was - buddy is too slow to be out there during the press. he cannot jump passing lanes or recover when he gambles but is beaten because he is too slow.

there was a reason to take him out - the team couldnt get defensive stops or steals with him out there...and he missed most of his shots after the 2 3's.

nope. he failed to rotate and get back - and he lost a few 50-50 balls that lead to uncontested breakaways.

It wasnt because of the press at all - even if it was - buddy is too slow to be out there during the press. he cannot jump passing lanes or recover when he gambles but is beaten because he is too slow.

there was a reason to take him out - the team couldnt get defensive stops or steals with him out there...and he missed most of his shots after the 2 3's.

We were down 18 when he made his first shot and lost by 14. What did the other guys do to deserve to be out there?

Some fans just need to admit they don’t want him on the team at all.

If you’re learning shooting fundamentals in D-1, it’s already too late.

IMO.
I don’t think so. Most improvement in colleg e is getting stronger and more fundamentally sound.

We were down 18 when he made his first shot and lost by 14. What did the other guys do to deserve to be out there?

Some fans just need to admit they don’t want him on the team at all.
GT scored 46 fricking points in the second half (when buddy played most of)...they only scored 27 in the first (where buddy hardly played)...IT IS NOT A COINCIDENCE. all 46 of GT points are not on Buddy - but the team is NOTICABLY worse on defense with him out there. He helps the offense a little, imo - especially with spacing and is a decent passer - but the overall net impact of him on the court is CLEARLY a negative...the only way he could be a positive out there is if he was hitting +50% on 3's (to make up for sub-par defense) - unfortunately he's only hitting 24% from deep this year - so that hasn't been the case.

I like him and wish him and his dad all the best - it's gotta be tough to be in such a cauldron - but if JB thinks playing his son enhances the SU chances of winning ACC games - he is not thinking clearly.

I just hope JB doesn't actually beleive that playing his son was giving his team the best chance to win and he did it to send a message to other players (i also think hughes got injured by chukwu's tomfoolery and that might have been part of it too)- but even that scenario is bad news for the squad - it means there are serious issues behind the scenes - which would make sense given how the team has played to this point.

I don’t think so. Most improvement in colleg e is getting stronger and more fundamentally sound.

Fundamentals like footwork before the shot, how to come off screens in different ways, different ways to shoot off the dribble, off jabs, etc. sure.

But the actual shot? These guys have been playing the game and shooting the ball for so long at that point. Minor tweaks, ok. But it’s hard to change too much at that point IMO. It’s like relearning how to shoot.

GT scored 46 fricking points in the second half (when buddy played most of)...they only scored 27 in the first (where buddy hardly played)...IT IS NOT A COINCIDENCE. all 46 of GT points are not on Buddy - but the team is NOTICABLY worse on defense with him out there. He helps the offense a little, imo - especially with spacing and is a decent passer - but the overall net impact of him on the court is CLEARLY a negative...the only way he could be a positive out there is if he was hitting +50% on 3's (to make up for sub-par defense) - unfortunately he's only hitting 24% from deep this year - so that hasn't been the case.

I like him and wish him and his dad all the best - it's gotta be tough to be in such a cauldron - but if JB thinks playing his son enhances the SU chances of winning ACC games - he is not thinking clearly.

I just hope JB doesn't actually beleive that playing his son was giving his team the best chance to win and he did it to send a message to other players (i also think hughes got injured by chukwu's tomfoolery and that might have been part of it too)- but even that scenario is bad news for the squad - it means there are serious issues behind the scenes - which would make sense given how the team has played to this point.

You realize Tech blew the game open at the beginning of the second half with our starters in or did you forget that?

The starters were taken out because they basically quit on the court 5 minutes into the second half. We had given up like 20 points in 5 minutes before the subs even came in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom