Building back a program is not a straight line | Syracusefan.com

Building back a program is not a straight line

kcsu

Living Legend
Todays game is important and i fully expect us to take care of business with a solid win. However in the Grand scheme of rebuilding our program while it matters it is still just part of a process that is in the early stages.
When i review Dino and his staff i come to the conclusion that he is within the next 2 to 3 years going to position us as a solid ACC team. One that on any given day can beat most opponents. Here is why.

1: He has a system.
2: He has shown the ability to recruit
3: He has past success
4: He possesses that intangible "it" that all good coaches have.

Mac had a system. Mac could recruit and Mac had "it". Just as it took Mac time so will it take Dino time. This year is going to be difficult. We play the toughest schedule in the country. We are still in the earliest stages of implementing a new system on both sides of the ball that is radically different from the previous system. We are building but still lack depth. In short we are a work in progress.
I believe in this Staff and truly feel that they will succeed. Its most likely not going to show up in the win column this year but i can already see it happening.
Lets hope and cheer for a solid win today. Stay positive the future isnt just fast. Its ORANGE!

first step is to compete. until you can do that you cant get to the 2nd step which is to lose games to teams when you play poorly. we have already shown we can beat good teams when we play well as a team. need to see more of that and we have 3-4 shots this year.

It's like AC/DC said: "It's a long way to the top, if you wanna rock and roll".

I totally believe that Dino has a plan in place and will lead the Orange back to respectability and more. But, I do think he bolts the Cuse once he starts winning and heads to a SEC or B12 school closer to TX. Hope not and we need a big win today!

I totally believe that Dino has a plan in place and will lead the Orange back to respectability and more. But, I do think he bolts the Cuse once he starts winning and heads to a SEC or B12 school closer to TX. Hope not and we need a big win today!
I'm hoping his age, big fish small pond thing, great money no (relatively speaking) pressure could stay while career making millions vs. obscene $ huge pressure/quick firing, ED first heisman early historic opportunity for African Americans, Jim brown etc; hope it works to keep him here. Someone get him a place on Skaneateles lake and maybe they can overlook the weather too! A fan can dream right?!

If he ever leaves, the empty seats in the dome will be part of the reason. Maybe a big part.

he makes comments all the time about liking the weather even better than Hawaii because of the seasons. if he takes 5-6 years that puts him over 60 with another rebuild where ever he ends up and probably a new staff. how long will this gang stay together

If he ever leaves, the empty seats in the dome will be part of the reason. Maybe a big part.
When he wins, that won't be a problem.

We put 30k in seats where you can't even see the court, in the middle of February, in the *snowiest city in America. When not if, you win, they will come.

*America's 20 Snowiest Major Cities

a4fa2f44-a210-4c5e-9779-74f962789720.jpg

i've grown tired of excuses. just win baby. and if you can't. then call it what it is.

you are comparing syracuse and alabama ? honestly ? you are truly delusional. meet reality sometime soon..

you are comparing syracuse and alabama ? honestly ? you are truly delusional. meet reality mister.
In comparing SU and Alabama, one would think that Saban had inherited more talent because he was at Alabama and also that Alabama would be LESS tolerant of a What loss.

So being that I picked Alabama for the comparison bolsters my argument, far from be delusional.

top recruiting class. no. bowl games. no. national title year 3 ...ummmmmm NO ! not even close.

I think he's a good fit who has a plan he believes in and seems to be working. I'll hold off a bit on judging the elusive "it" factor. I think HCDB is fine. The schools commitment to the sports arms race is the question

There is no way in hell an SEC school is hiring Dino Babers. He has shown nothing during his time at Syracuse that would impress even the worst SEC football program. Even when he starts winning (Believing our ceiling these days is 7-8 wins at most even in a great year) an SEC school wouldn't be impressed with that. This isn't a knock on Dino either has he has walked into a mess here at Syracuse, but no SEC school will take a flyer on him thinking he is "the guy" . Now for the Big 12 you could find a school like Kansas or something try to lure him away but if your Dino is that really a step up? I mean financially it may be but to start another total rebuild again and go back to square one I am not sure that is what he would want to do.

I think the fear of Dino leaving is now gone. Again not a knock, but he has shown nothing so far here at Syracuse to make me think another school looks at him and is like I gotta steal him away.

There is no way in hell an SEC school is hiring Dino Babers. He has shown nothing during his time at Syracuse that would impress even the worst SEC football program. Even when he starts winning (Believing our ceiling these days is 7-8 wins at most even in a great year) an SEC school wouldn't be impressed with that. This isn't a knock on Dino either has he has walked into a mess here at Syracuse, but no SEC school will take a flyer on him thinking he is "the guy" . Now for the Big 12 you could find a school like Kansas or something try to lure him away but if your Dino is that really a step up? I mean financially it may be but to start another total rebuild again and go back to square one I am not sure that is what he would want to do.

I think the fear of Dino leaving is now gone. Again not a knock, but he has shown nothing so far here at Syracuse to make me think another school looks at him and is like I gotta steal him away.

I agree w this but did we think Marrone would find an NFL job? I think a ton of these searches are based on your agent, u looking for a better situation (Tom O'Brien) and the network u built in the game. I think Dino is a football lifer who has contacts all over college football and I wouldn't be surprised he got sniffs IF he wanted to leave but my guess is he'd have to initiate it.

My guess is he wants this to work.

I agree w this but did we think Marrone would find an NFL job? I think a ton of these searches are based on your agent, u looking for a better situation (Tom O'Brien) and the network u built in the game. I think Dino is a football lifer who has contacts all over college football and I wouldn't be surprised he got sniffs IF he wanted to leave but my guess is he'd have to initiate it.

My guess is he wants this to work.
Marrone came from the NFL as an OC so yes that was realistic him getting an NFL job.

He turned down an SEC school for this job ;)

Do you honestly believe that people who make a living can't see the lack of athletes he has to run his plan? If he gets Syracuse competitive against the ACC, they will come for him. If he could win at LSU they would probably fire Ogre and hire him on the spot.

Marrone came from the NFL as an OC so yes that was realistic him getting an NFL job.

I thought it was unrealistic based on his results. He won 8 games max. To leap to NFL on pinstripe bowl appearances was impressive. My point is the results were part of an equation based on his networking in the NFL to get a look and woo the Bills into handing him the job. Dino could do the same thing IF he wanted to if this is turned around to a 6 win team

Dino made a major effort to be competitive this season with 3 grad transfers and 4 jucos. Not trying for a slow steady build - and that is a good thing. It will still take some time to build the lines and get better playmakers.

Dino made a major effort to be competitive this season with 3 grad transfers and 4 jucos. Not trying for a slow steady build - and that is a good thing. It will still take some time to build the lines and get better playmakers.
That leaves holes in the depth in the following years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom