Bummed out | Syracusefan.com

Bummed out

SWC75

Bored Historian
I hate waking up in the morning and immediately getting bad news. I flipped on the TV and watched the end of a movie I'd always heard about "They came to Cordura". I wanted to read about it and grabbed my smarthone and went to my IMDB app. i clicked on the message board for the film and got this announcement: Message Boards - IMDb

This was my second favorite internet forum to Syracusefan.com. I've been part of countless interesting discussions about movies, TV shows and various performers there. The links to social media don't repalce the message boards because you can't go to specific items and see everything that's been posted aobut that show or person. Many of my interests are in vintage things and the IMDB message boards are how you connect to people with the same interests. But some bean-counter has decided to eliminate them. It's be like getting rid of Syracusefan.com and leaving only Cuse.com for the fans.

Here's an example of my posts to their message boards:
schappe1 Boards Profile - IMDb

I saw that too.. I go there quite a bit to read stuff.. I dont get how removing the boards enhances the sites experience like they say? I wonder how costly to run it it really was, but also how much money the ads are bringing in to that site?

I saw that too.. I go there quite a bit to read stuff.. I dont get how removing the boards enhances the sites experience like they say? I wonder how costly to run it it really was, but also how much money the ads are bringing in to that site?

From Wikipedia:
"As of 20 February 2017, all the message boards and their content will be permanently removed. According to the website, the decision was made because the boards were "no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide".[33] Col Needham also mentioned in a post some months earlier that the boards received less income from ads, and that their members only made up a very small part of the website's visitors plus the fact that the boards were costly to run due to the system's age and dated design, which did not make much sense businesswise."

I can't imagine using the site without seeing what's on the message boards and I doubt message board users are "a very small part of the website's visitors". Perhaps the psoters are a small percentage but not the viewers. If the system is dated, put in a new one!

i was wondering if they were removing the forum part or all the message boards for each movie and tv show too..

i was wondering if they were removing the forum part or all the message boards for each movie and tv show too..

"all the message boards and their content will be permanently removed"

I've been going to IMDB for years. I've never used the message boards. I look at the overall movie rating, read some reviews, check out the cast etc.

Maybe I missed something interesting, but I never felt the need to participate. Won't affect my use of the site.

there was some interesting stuff in the message sections.. tv shows had episode discussions, movies might talk about sequels or release dates or how scenes were filmed.. often the actors got on there and added comments about roles or what they were doing. almost every show/movie./actor had multiple threads of discussions going.

I always thought it was interesting to find an old movie , go on the site and so often find a recent topic of conversation about it. its also one less reason for some to go to the site and if less traffic means less money the site goes away.

went back today hoping they had a change of heart.. but no..

seems strange to have a site dedicated to movies and tv and have no place for discussion..

I guess I just don't like change. I've been depressed ever since I heard we were losing the IMDB message boards, which I've used for 15 years and ESPN Sports Reporters, which has been a Sunday Morning staple for me for nearly 30, at about the same time. it used to be back-to-back locally with Siskel and Ebert. I miss them too.

I guess I just don't like change. I've been depressed ever since I heard we were losing the IMDB message boards, which I've used for 15 years and ESPN Sports Reporters, which has been a Sunday Morning staple for me for nearly 30, at about the same time. it used to be back-to-back locally with Siskel and Ebert. I miss them too.

I miss Frank Sinatra.

The message boards, at least for me, were the only real reason to visit IMDB. It was great to speculate about future movies and discuss plot holes, easter eggs and other things about current or past movies. If I just wanted to read a summary or find out info about a certain actor, I'd just go to Wikipedia which goes more in depth on those things. There were a few trolls like there are on most sites, but it worked for the most part. I'm having trouble believing they will be able to generate the same amount of traffic without the boards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom