Burger Fans | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Burger Fans

Very interesting stuff. I definitely am thinking about it. I am an addict with running but always have struggled to find the right diet to pair with it. Vegan still ended up carb heavy. I have always been one who could make a meal out of meat before anything else. Sweets, breads etc are pretty easy to kill. Milk probably would be the toughest but not out of reach.

Honestly Vegan was supposed to be the straw to knock off the 20 lbs that wouldn't go away and it didn't at all. Also my wife hated it so really meats/protein are much better compromise. I definitely think I might go that route. Also I've heard that as a runner it is far easier to stay on track. Vegan itself was so hard not getting worn down even with B vitamin supplements.

OIG- I appreciate and would consume any recommendations for sure. I'm battling long CoVid stuff right now too but really want to try something that hopefully sticks.
I've been a runner for a long time and was always concerned messing with higher calorie diet (in the 2400-2600 range) would leave me drained when trying to run. Over the years injury and not much room for mistake in my diet led to me putting on more and more weight. In September last year I started doing IF, but more importantly reducing my daily calories to about 1600-1700 with two pretty dense meals (skip breakfast, smoothie for lunch, chicken burrito or chili for dinner) high in protein and fiber. I've managed to lose 35lbs and shave a minute off my easy pace and really haven't had any issue with hunger or feeling low energy on my runs.

united-kingdom-great-britain-england-london-southwark-tesco-express-outside-exterior-entrance-...jpg

Do I like keto? Good question.

I have a really hard time dieting. I get hungry pretty easily and if I skip or even delay meals, I get hungrier and often end up eating more than if I was not trying to diet. Diets just haven’t worked well for me and if anything, they work worse as I get older.

One of my friends got into it. I thought he was crazy. But it worked. Really well. And he said if he kept his intake of carbs below 25 grams of carbs a day, he could basically eat as much keto friendly food as he wanted.

That piqued my interest. I don’t drink alcohol, which helps a lot. No carbs means essentially no fruits, no potatoes (very tough), no bread (very tough), no pasta (pretty tough) and no milk.

Pretty much any meat is okay, cheeses are okay, fish are okay (except deep fried) eggs are okay. Pretty much any protein is fine.

I have always been a meat kind of guy, so a diet where I can eat enough meat to make me feel full is a big deal. Giving up carbs is a big deal and for most people it is unthinkable. But for me, it allows me to eat enough so I am not always hungry and still lose or maintain my weight.

Keto has allowed me lose a lot of weight and then to keep it under control for well over 2 years. I had been slowly gaining weight just about every year since I was an adult, so this is a big deal to me, and I think I am going to stilck with it long term.

But is definitely is not for everyone. There are lots of web sites and books out there on keto. If it sounds like something you might be able to do, go for it. It really does work if you have the discipline not to cheat.

As a proud Irish man, alcohol and potatoes are basically my entire diet. Keto would be the death of me.

Awesome. Any tips you have for starting out strong I would appreciate anytime. My approach is to build a daily menu 30 days out for all meals and snacks. It takes time but I find it really helps to stick with it- this is how we did for Vegan. Being a creature of habit usually like finding 8-9 meal pairings to re use too.
Oh man, a 30 day meal plan calendar is going to help you a ton. Before you start keto I'd definitely mention it to your doctor, just in case something in your medical history suggests it might be a bad idea. Here are 4 tips for getting started:

1, build your daily plan around your vegetables. I plan and portion out 15ish net carbs per day among broccoli, cauliflower, pico de gallo, green beans, mushrooms, etc. I've found that is about the right amount to leave headroom for hidden carbs that might pop up in other places, or the occasional light snack of your choice of nut that isn't too high carb.

2, eat a lot of fat. This is the weirdest part to get used to, because we've been conditioned to think fat is the worst, and you're like, really, I'm supposed to cook all these mushrooms in a load of cream? I'm supposed to put melted butter on everything? But, yeah. You are. In fact, it's pretty miserable if you don't, and you can end up just being miserable and malnourished if you're not getting enough calories from fat. Unprocessed pork is your friend. Cream and butter are your friends. If you can get a hold of high fat Rebel brand ice cream it is worth every penny (especially the plain chocolate flavor, throw a small amount of chopped salted peanuts in... excellent). Pepperoni that doesn't have any sugar snuck in makes for a great snack to have on hand. Which leads me to...

3, read all your ingredients labels. It's gross how much sugar gets stuffed into food without realizing it, and you have to avoid sugar (other than the small amounts of naturally occurring sugar in fruits and vegetables) at all costs. This is the easiest way to have keto go sideways on you, by missing that something you've been eating has hidden sugar in it. Some Italian sausage I bought a few weeks ago almost got me this way. I wasn't careful enough when I bought it, thought, eh, it's hot sausage, and right before I was going to cook it I looked at the label and realized it was loaded with corn syrup. Artificial sugars and sugar free items are no guarantee either, a lot of them will give you the ol' glucose spike that kicks the body out of ketosis.

4, wrap your head around the idea that this is a whole new way of eating. The people I've seen have a terrible experience have tried to eat the keto versions of their favorite foods. The reality is... the keto versions of your favorite foods in most cases are going to be extremely unsatisfying. Keto bread... sucks. Cauliflower rice for regular rice... tolerable, but not the same. The multiple variety of fake noodles that are keto friendly... culinary abominations. And a lot of the "easy" keto friendly labeled foods you find at the grocery store might not actually be legit keto once you look at the ingredients. As you know and figured out doing other things, figure out some great go-to meals that you'll enjoy and stick with that. I basically rotate 8-10 things when I'm on keto, and when in doubt bake wings with Frank's red hot and skillet up fresh green beans. My recommendation to people that do it the first time is to do it as clean and strict as they can handle, then incorporate some of the products that make it easier.

That's a good start. I can give you other ideas as you get into it. There are a bunch of great recipe websites like ruled.me (pinterest is great for keto too) and other resources that help. I've been meaning to write up a keto restaurant guide of my own, like the tip I mentioned in this thread about asking for the tub at 5 Guys.

Oh man, a 30 day meal plan calendar is going to help you a ton. Before you start keto I'd definitely mention it to your doctor, just in case something in your medical history suggests it might be a bad idea. Here are 4 tips for getting started:

1, build your daily plan around your vegetables. I plan and portion out 15ish net carbs per day among broccoli, cauliflower, pico de gallo, green beans, mushrooms, etc. I've found that is about the right amount to leave headroom for hidden carbs that might pop up in other places, or the occasional light snack of your choice of nut that isn't too high carb.

2, eat a lot of fat. This is the weirdest part to get used to, because we've been conditioned to think fat is the worst, and you're like, really, I'm supposed to cook all these mushrooms in a load of cream? I'm supposed to put melted butter on everything? But, yeah. You are. In fact, it's pretty miserable if you don't, and you can end up just being miserable and malnourished if you're not getting enough calories from fat. Unprocessed pork is your friend. Cream and butter are your friends. If you can get a hold of high fat Rebel brand ice cream it is worth every penny (especially the plain chocolate flavor, throw a small amount of chopped salted peanuts in... excellent). Pepperoni that doesn't have any sugar snuck in makes for a great snack to have on hand. Which leads me to...

3, read all your ingredients labels. It's gross how much sugar gets stuffed into food without realizing it, and you have to avoid sugar (other than the small amounts of naturally occurring sugar in fruits and vegetables) at all costs. This is the easiest way to have keto go sideways on you, by missing that something you've been eating has hidden sugar in it. Some Italian sausage I bought a few weeks ago almost got me this way. I wasn't careful enough when I bought it, thought, eh, it's hot sausage, and right before I was going to cook it I looked at the label and realized it was loaded with corn syrup. Artificial sugars and sugar free items are no guarantee either, a lot of them will give you the ol' glucose spike that kicks the body out of ketosis.

4, wrap your head around the idea that this is a whole new way of eating. The people I've seen have a terrible experience have tried to eat the keto versions of their favorite foods. The reality is... the keto versions of your favorite foods in most cases are going to be extremely unsatisfying. Keto bread... sucks. Cauliflower rice for regular rice... tolerable, but not the same. The multiple variety of fake noodles that are keto friendly... culinary abominations. And a lot of the "easy" keto friendly labeled foods you find at the grocery store might not actually be legit keto once you look at the ingredients. As you know and figured out doing other things, figure out some great go-to meals that you'll enjoy and stick with that. I basically rotate 8-10 things when I'm on keto, and when in doubt bake wings with Frank's red hot and skillet up fresh green beans. My recommendation to people that do it the first time is to do it as clean and strict as they can handle, then incorporate some of the products that make it easier.

That's a good start. I can give you other ideas as you get into it. There are a bunch of great recipe websites like ruled.me (pinterest is great for keto too) and other resources that help. I've been meaning to write up a keto restaurant guide of my own, like the tip I mentioned in this thread about asking for the tub at 5 Guys.

Awesome stuff. The good part of this is similar to the Vegan direction I went ( unprocessed) going to the real thing vs the Vegan version is the only way to go. Greatly appreciate it.

Again very similar approach with keeping things unprocessed and basic.

Ov-er Rate-ed...West coast can keep In and Out. Five Guys destroys them on every level.
This is a hit take I have argued with many friends over. The good news about your take is it is absolutely correct.

Very interesting stuff. I definitely am thinking about it. I am an addict with running but always have struggled to find the right diet to pair with it. Vegan still ended up carb heavy. I have always been one who could make a meal out of meat before anything else. Sweets, breads etc are pretty easy to kill. Milk probably would be the toughest but not out of reach.

Honestly Vegan was supposed to be the straw to knock off the 20 lbs that wouldn't go away and it didn't at all. Also my wife hated it so really meats/protein are much better compromise. I definitely think I might go that route. Also I've heard that as a runner it is far easier to stay on track. Vegan itself was so hard not getting worn down even with B vitamin supplements.

OIG- I appreciate and would consume any recommendations for sure. I'm battling long CoVid stuff right now too but really want to try something that hopefully sticks.

This is a great overview.

The only thing I will add is that it is hard to get your body into a state of ketosis and very easy to fall out of ketosis.

I know people who do keto on weekdays but eat normally on weekends.

If you eat a ton of carbs over a weekend, you probably aren't going to get back into ketosis for 2 or 3 days. You end up being in ketosis for only 2 or 3 days for the week and waste a lot of sacrifices made over 5 days.

My recommendation is, if you are going to do keto, do it right. Go all in. If you limit your intake of carbs to under 25 a day (and heed Otto's advice about knowing what is in food; it is especially easy to get in trouble eating out, where you don't know what is in the food being served), you are going to lose a lot of weight. Even if you eat 3 hearty meals a day.

If you make the commitment, my guess is that for many, going keto for 3 months will result in losing 30 pounds or more. I think it is more effective to go hard core for a relatively short time than semi keto for a long time.

The only thing I will add is that it is hard to get your body into a state of ketosis and very easy to fall out of ketosis.

If you eat a ton of carbs over a weekend, you probably aren't going to get back into ketosis for 2 or 3 days. You end up being in ketosis for only 2 or 3 days for the week and waste a lot of sacrifices made over 5 days.

My recommendation is, if you are going to do keto, do it right. Go all in. If you limit your intake of carbs to under 25 a day (and heed Otto's advice about knowing what is in food; it is especially easy to get in trouble eating out, where you don't know what is in the food being served), you are going to lose a lot of weight. Even if you eat 3 hearty meals a day.

If you make the commitment, my guess is that for many, going keto for 3 months will result in losing 30 pounds or more. I think it is more effective to go hard core for a relatively short time than semi keto for a long time.

Good stuff. I am definitely a go all in person. Trying to do it part time seems like a waste.

Absolutely, the folks that do cheat weekends... they fundamentally do not understand ketosis.

One other thing that's weird about keto - different people's bodies respond to certain things differently, and I have no idea how or why that is. For example, I have friends that survive on keto drinking diet soda. I can't, kicks me out of ketosis. But on the other hand I can handle small amounts of wheat in certain things and remain in ketosis, and they can't at all. It doesn't make any sense to me, but so it goes.

I find that 5 guys is by far one of the worst fast food places. Their frys are so greasy, I refuse to eat them when i did go there. Of course different stores can do things slightly diffrent.

For fast food, it's alright. At least it's not microwaved food, which is why it takes a little more time to get your order.
They go crazy with salt.
And the regular portions are huge so I'd recommend getting the little burger and small fries or splitting the regular fries with another person.

At some point when I got old, I found it's better in just about every way to just grill my own burger.

A couple friends and I split a whole cow from a local farm. It ends up being cheaper than buying meat at the grocery store and it is amazing.

The burgers on the latest cow are the best burgers I've ever had.
Yeah, I've done the split a cow with friends thing a couple times. It's great. I never regret the move.

You obviously didn't date the girls I did Freshmen year...of course Beer was legal at 18.
#SUNYOswego, Bucklands, Shacky Patch, The Stands
I drank a lot of alcohol. I also started working out frequently and played a lot of basketball. A lot.

I find that 5 guys is by far one of the worst fast food places. Their frys are so greasy, I refuse to eat them when i did go there. Of course different stores can do things slightly diffrent.
True...I've had burgers there from Outstanding to Yuck...the help makes or breaks them.

I like Intermittent Fasting and working out while in a fasted state.
until the hallucinations start which is fine unless you happen to be driving the wife somewhere.

I'm putting you in touch with Carmen

Carmen D Cisneros

, Detox Mentor (1999-present)

Anything is possible. Because of my diet, lifestyle, decades of detox and dying twice, I get what some may consider “hallucinating.” Tho, I prefer to see it more as visions of our holographic universe. If it happens to you, your third eye may be opening to the magic that surround us. Most my nights are filled with visions, and not just one. I see many layers of Dimensions. Globes and people. Been shown lifetimes and a whole lot more. Just know, should this be you, careful on who you share with. It is why I know without a doubt, Schizophrenics are not crazy. They’re connected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom