Buying a new TV | Syracusefan.com

Buying a new TV

Toga

Living Legend
The old one has died. I started looking online and was pleasantly surprised at how prices have dropped. So I am now moving into the world of smart TV. Is there a feature I should definitely have? Some say they have built in Alexa. Does that give you the ability to control the TV with voice commands? General suggestions? Looking at about 50".

Last edited:
Yeah it's nuts how inexpensive they're getting.

Last year I bought a 50 inch TCL Rolu TV from Costco. I think it was $320. Been a solid value so far.

I don't know a lot about TVs, but I'd recommend a less smart TV with multiple HDMI ports to use ROKU/Fire Stick, etc. I have a Chromecast TV, and it is pain because all smart functions have to be done through your phone. Certain apps do not have Chromecast options. We ended up getting a fire stick and still using that over the actual smart tv.

Walmart is selling an Onn 50-inch 4K Ultra HDTV for $228. It has 4 HDMI inputs.

Non-4K televisions are so cheap right now. I don’t think 4K is worth the extra cost.

4k looks great, if you are a gamer or watch about the 5 things that are actually using it. Where it looks best is in a store standing 3ft from a huge tv screen. once you get 15ft away from a 50 tv it becomes less useful.

new tvs are designed to last 3-5 yrs and are dirt cheap so no value in fixing them like 30 yrs ago, buy cheap, if it fails buy again, it will usually fail quickly if its really got issues.

a little value in buying higher end models but they still only last marginally better, you get a little better sound and picture but for the money most wont care.

if you go smart stay with firestick/roku tvs as they will tend to upgrade the software. if you go with other smart tvs you may be out of luck getting some pretty routine channel streams to work.

they are almost giving away smart tvs for same cost as non-smart so no downside most of the time.

if you are using sound bars almost all the tvs will sound great.

i would like to purchase a new TV as well. but here's my conundrum. i have an antique stickley cabinet that will only accommodate a 36x 36 " unit . with today's diagonal aspect ratios that limits me to about 24-30 ".
would i be better off going with a monitor perhaps that presents a more square design ?

i would like to purchase a new TV as well. but here's my conundrum. i have an antique stickley cabinet that will only accommodate a 36x 36 " unit . with today's diagonal aspect ratios that limits me to about 24-30 ".
would i be better off going with a monitor perhaps that presents a more square design ?
Get rid of cabinet

I replaced my Samsung plasma 60" after my son broke it last year or so. I picked up a Samsung LED 65" and truly hate it. But it was over a grand so it's not going anywhere soon. It's awful with sports. I should have upgraded.

what is wrong with it? if it was that much it had to be a fairly high end model what mode do you have it in and what is your input?

samsung doesnt make low end models.

I replaced my Samsung plasma 60" after my son broke it last year or so. I picked up a Samsung LED 65" and truly hate it. But it was over a grand so it's not going anywhere soon. It's awful with sports. I should have upgraded.
I bought a Samsung last year. Paid top dollar. No matter what I tried, couldn’t gat the picture right. Shipped it back and bought a Vizio for half the price. Very happy with it

what is wrong with it? if it was that much it had to be a fairly high end model what mode do you have it in and what is your input?

samsung doesnt make low end models.

Think it is the MU6300 Series.

some Tvs the Mode is huge, sometimes its just changing picture defaults, sometimes inputs really matter. if live and other modes are all bad its the tv.

some Tvs the Mode is huge, sometimes its just changing picture defaults, sometimes inputs really matter. if live and other modes are all bad its the tv.

I need my buddy to come in. He owns a TV/Stereo home theater shop up here. I'm sure he could tweak it. But I think I cheaped out on the motion rate without realizing it.

I need my buddy to come in. He owns a TV/Stereo home theater shop up here. I'm sure he could tweak it. But I think I cheaped out on the motion rate without realizing it.
Did you buy it from him? :)

Did you buy it from him? :)

I did not. He's way too expensive. I did check with him to see if he had access to any leftover plasmas. Man, that old set was just amazing for watching sports. Couldn't beat the picture of the plasma screen.

I bought a Samsung QLED (Q7F) about a year ago. Bought the soundbar, and the no gap wall mount, sits perfectly flat against the wall, and only has one small wire to deal with.

I hug that thing more than my children. Love it. (It's mutual. The kids like it more than they like me).

I did no interest financing and they let you setup auto payments, so you can set it and forget it. Most places don't let you setup an auto payment for these because they want to miss a payment somewhere along the way, make up the back interest.

motion rates can make a difference but since most stuff is still only broadcasting at 60 and most tvs advertising 120+ are really fake most people cant tell the difference.

if you have a high end ps4 or xbox there is some value to better refresh rates

some issues are more caused too high end a refresh rate for the content provider too.. thats why mode matters

Put a nice fish tank in the cabinet, then have a real TV mounted above it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom