By far my favorite play of last night | Syracusefan.com

By far my favorite play of last night

Eric15

Living Legend
In the first half, Bourama got the ball in the post. He calmly maneuvered his body, worked his pivot foot effectively (I was holding my breath waiting for the traveling call), but he didn't travel, he kept the ball high (Chewy, are you paying attention?) and scored on a baby hook shot.

In other words, he looked like a HUMAN BASKETBALL CENTER ON PLANET EARTH.

Why can't he do this 3-4 times per game? Watching SU big men score in the post is like hearing my kids laugh. It brings joy to my life.

he actually didnt travel?

thats good to hear. live at the game, the fans definitely thought it was a travel. Thought we got away with 1.

we def did when he got fouled in the 2nd half right? seemed like he took like 6 steps

In the first half, Bourama got the ball in the post. He calmly maneuvered his body, worked his pivot foot effectively (I was holding my breath waiting for the traveling call), but he didn't travel, he kept the ball high (Chewy, are you paying attention?) and scored on a baby hook shot.

Why can't he do this 3-4 times per game? Watching SU big men score in the post is like hearing my kids laugh. It brings joy to my life.
Interesting observations from Midnight Madness scrimmage 2017. That was Sidibe's coming out party. Hopefully his long road back takes him back to that point.
Best and worst from Syracuse basketball's public scrimmage

I cautiously take back my November observation that he's got a chronic knee injury. He's moving as well as he ever has at SU. Not "well" yet, but he's obviously looking healthier.

When Brissett's taking bad jumpers, give us more of the Dolezaj/Sidibe combination. I liked that lineup a lot, and that's when we opened up the lead in the first half.

Last edited:
Boy Green on the Manchild show said he had interviewed Bourama after the game and he told him that as long as he keeps moving his knees don't bother him. it's when he settles into just guarding the basket and becomes less mobile, his knees tighten up and he becomes less effective.

He's done it a few times before, so he has the capability. It's a matter of repetition and confidence. With the injury last year, he's practically a freshman this year. I do wish he would post up more often, but not sure if JB wants that.

every time Sid/Chuck catch the ball in the post, I instinctively cringe. I hope this is the beginning of a new trend for Sidibe.

he actually didnt travel?

thats good to hear. live at the game, the fans definitely thought it was a travel. Thought we got away with 1.

we def did when he got fouled in the 2nd half right? seemed like he took like 6 steps
He did travel and was close to traveling again on the ridiculous charging call. Hope he gets enough in-game chances that he overcomes that.

a critique i have of sidibe is pertinent here. he actually makes too many moves. it was nice it went in on the play mentioned by the op, but i think he can get his shot off earlier. it would reduce the risk of traveling or losing the ball. later in the game, he got the ball in the post and did too much with it, causing a turnover, after initially making a move that freed him up for a perfect baby hook.

Reminded me of Hakeem Olajuwon. Dream-shake is next!

Couple points- would like to see replay but I don't think Sidibe actually did travel but I am surprised he wasn't called for it anyway. Right now, I think he needs to reduce the number of pivots/moves he attempts in his post ups. When he has a chance to shoot a right baby hook, take it. No need to force the up and under if the defender hasn't jumped. But he has the footwork.

Yes, I am not sure Oshae would have cut to the hoop for that dunk if Marek did not lead him with the pass.

i liked MD's backcut pass to OB on the break.

(i thought sidibe traveled.twice.)
That was the play I thought of when I saw the thread title.

Movement without the ball and team passing...what a novel idea!

Boy Green on the Manchild show said he had interviewed Bourama after the game and he told him that as long as he keeps moving his knees don't bother him. it's when he settles into just guarding the basket and becomes less mobile, his knees tighten up and he becomes less effective.
An interesting post. Makes me wonder if he needs to have one of those stationary bikes to keep his legs/knees loose during the game? It would seem sitting on the sideline when he is not playing would tighten up his knees also.

i liked MD's backcut pass to OB on the break.

(i thought sidibe traveled.twice.)

This was my favorite play too. OB was content to just sit on the perimeter and it looked like the fast break wasn't going to materialize into anything. MD threw the bounce pass anyway to the flat footed and unprepared OB and look what happened... an easy two. If only we had more players who could see the floor like MD does.

a critique i have of sidibe is pertinent here. he actually makes too many moves. it was nice it went in on the play mentioned by the op, but i think he can get his shot off earlier. it would reduce the risk of traveling or losing the ball. later in the game, he got the ball in the post and did too much with it, causing a turnover, after initially making a move that freed him up for a perfect baby hook.

Totally agree...I get nervous when he gets it tbh but the skill is clearly there

after watching it again 34 bounced that pivot foot an inch, it was an uncalled travel by the book but slightly sliding pivot feet is one of those bang bang things that make the subjectivity of three guys in striped shirts so darn compelling so I will take it.

Where is that dude that destroyed Pitt, didn't he have like 18 last year? I am confident this offensive emergence continues here late for the ACC run. No like a solid late season 2002 Hak jump but from virtually zero to 8-10 consistently and an occasional 14 or 18 makes this team so much more dangerous.

Last edited:
Awesome...It’s like the basketball equivalent of the movie “Speed”. I thought he looked really fluid last night. Good to see...

SUOrange44

This was my favorite play too. OB was content to just sit on the perimeter and it looked like the fast break wasn't going to materialize into anything. MD threw the bounce pass anyway to the flat footed and unprepared OB and look what happened... an easy two. If only we had more players who could see the floor like MD does.

The same play happened a couple games ago on the opposite side - maybe against ND, not sure. Marek or Hughes looked like they wanted OB to cut, he had an easy back door wide open, he didn't cut, ended up getting the ball at the three point line in the corner and missing.