Bourama Sidibe | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Bourama Sidibe

High scoring game with little defense. Sidibe has stood out. Lots of good players out there. Sidibe looks like he belongs. Isaiah Washington is awesome. Sigh.

18 and 12. Killing it on the offensive glass. Bourama's gait is amazingly similar to Baye's. Runs like a gazelle. Someone needs to help the commentator with how to pronounce "Sidibe."

Isaiah Washington will be an absolute star.

Sidibe is a master of positioning. He has a tremendous knack for finding himself in the right position on the floor to grab rebounds. He also will be very effective at the back of our Trunk Monkey. He's the polar opposite of PC, who drifted out too far and was out of position all the time. Sidibe knows his role is to protect the rim. He plays it like a soccer goalie. He doesn't leave the paint. It wasn't shown in this game but he knows how to block shots without fouling. At the very least, expect JB to use him as our guy at the back of the press, unless PC figures it out.

Bourama was an efficient 9-13. He did well in a game that was so typical of these all star games. Lots of chucking, little defense. Another thing that stood out for me is his conditioning. He can run back and forth all day long and seemingly not gas out. Squint and you will think it's BMK running out there, until you see BS's offense and hands.

iommi - in your opinon, is it possible that Sidbie might be our best defensive option at the 5 next year?

Not possible. Likely.
Had a feeling you'd say that!

Man I hope TT takes a HUGE step forward defensively this year. If we can put him at the 5 it significantly improves us offensively.

Had a feeling you'd say that!

Man I hope TT takes a HUGE step forward defensively this year. If we can put him at the 5 it significantly improves us offensively.

And offensively, he's BMK+ with hands, a 15 foot jumper and the ability to dunk. Plus, he can finish lefty or righty. He will not play like a freshman. Well coached and smart.

He really needs to spend the next few months hitting the weights. His high school coach thinks he will put on weight rather easily. We will see. He has a good frame but his legs are too thin.

Sidibe is good. Not great. His timing blocking shots is much better than a couple previous recruits. Much better that TT.

He's a serviceable option at the 5. And honestly, he moves well enough that I do believe he might be able top play 4 in a pinch.

Will definitely help next year.

I questioned the 220 lbs that he's listed at. Now Sidibe says he's 207. I'd be happy if he were 220 this fall. Ideally, he'd be 230 but that's not going to happen.

And offensively, he's BMK+ with hands, a 15 foot jumper and the ability to dunk. Plus, he can finish lefty or righty. He will not play like a freshman. Well coached and smart.

He really needs to spend the next few months hitting the weights. His high school coach thinks he will put on weight rather easily. We will see. He has a good frame but his legs are too thin.

Having a 5 that can gain post position, turn over either shoulder AND finish with either hand is a huge advantage on O if for no other reason than how that threat forces the D to play/react. We have not seen that ability or threat since Christmas (Lydon did not have that skill set, and TT has not shown a post up game). From his tape, Sidibe definitely has that skill set. IF he is strong enough to use those skills against the big boys, the O will suddenly look a lot better, even if he does not put up numbers.

My guess is that Sidibe will be more valuable on D as a freshman. Again, assuming he has the strength to hold up, he has the movement ability and timing to cover his area and alter shots. PC is a much more of a stationary defender/shot blocker, and lacks the strength to hold position. TT has not yet shown the movement skills (or willingness?) to be effective at the 5.

Having a 5 that can gain post position, turn over either shoulder AND finish with either hand is a huge advantage on O if for no other reason than how that threat forces the D to play/react. We have not seen that ability or threat since Christmas (Lydon did not have that skill set, and TT has not shown a post up game). From his tape, Sidibe definitely has that skill set. IF he is strong enough to use those skills against the big boys, the O will suddenly look a lot better, even if he does not put up numbers.

My guess is that Sidibe will be more valuable on D as a freshman. Again, assuming he has the strength to hold up, he has the movement ability and timing to cover his area and alter shots. PC is a much more of a stationary defender/shot blocker, and lacks the strength to hold position. TT has not yet shown the movement skills (or willingness?) to be effective at the 5.

Great post. My guess is Sidibe plays well on offense against the cupcakes but struggles somewhat against the big boys. He's skilled enough and smart enough to still make an impact somewhat, though he might get pushed around quite a bit.

Reactions: 007
Too much stock is being put into a game with a final score of 170-162. Anyone can look like they're going to be a star when no one is playing defense. These games get worse and worse.

Too much stock is being put into a game with a final score of 170-162. Anyone can look like they're going to be a star when no one is playing defense. These games get worse and worse.

Who is putting stock into the Jordan game? Players can still make an impresssion in any format, even an all star game. That doesn't mean anyone is making more out of the game than is warranted.

Great post. My guess is Sidibe plays well on offense against the cupcakes but struggles somewhat against the big boys. He's skilled enough and smart enough to still make an impact somewhat, though he might get pushed around quite a bit.

Yup. Even with that, Sidibe has a chance to surprise in the ACC, IMO.

Even better.....From the very first time I watched his tape, I have thought that Brissett is going to "shock" our fan base with how skilled and assertive he is. I still believe he can effectively play at the 3 in JB's system on O (not saying he will play there necessarily, only saying that I think he can). I absolutely believe he is going to score and rebound and would not be surprised if he is among the best freshmen in the ACC by the end of the season.

Nothing I have posted is based on the Jordan game. Nothing

Yup. Even with that, Sidibe has a chance to surprise in the ACC, IMO.

Even better...From the very first time I watched his tape, I have thought that Brissett is going to "shock" our fan base with how skilled and assertive he is. I still believe he can effectively play at the 3 in JB's system on O (not saying he will play there necessarily, only saying that I think he can). I absolutely believe he is going to score and rebound and would not be surprised if he is among the best freshmen in the ACC by the end of the season.
You're making me hope for a Lawrence Moten-type freshman year...

You're making me hope for a Lawrence Moten-type freshman year...

I'm thinking more like Frosh CJ or Jerami. (since he's a 3/4, not a 2/3.)
Energy, D, rebounds, garbage-guy stuff, putbacks, some massive dunks, etc.
Who doesn't sign up for that?? :cool: