Bourama Sidibe | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Bourama Sidibe

I think I did, but ended up losing it to blackout numerous times. I am not sure I can adequately express the frustration I felt. It might be like being a young kid and seeing more of a bounty than usual under the Christmas tree, only to wake up Christmas morning to find the room with the tree and presents had been completely incinerated. That's kind of how it seems to work. Remembering athletics, I will employ dedication to overcome it. I'm not sure anyone who obtains it is allowed to speak of it. I mean even Kermit hadn't, because he sings about maybe someday finding it. The poor sap can empathize.

Actually I did kind of find a different sort of rainbow connection, but you'd have to look at each word separately to understand what I'm talking about. I think both parts are unmentionable on here, but for completely different reasons.
This is pay side stuff.

Maybe he turns out to be a sleeper and is great. We sure could use one of those.

there's like 10 posts below on guards and swings. who cares ? we need the beef ! what this program is lacking is a quality 5. not more guards.

Francis03 said:
Not yet, but plan to real soon.

Cool, I will be interested to hear your thoughts on whether his offensive game will translate to D1.

20 points and 8 boards in a win against Bergen Catholic last night for Sidibe.

Just caught this game on fios. Unfortunately, only stumbled onto it with about 3:30 left in third quarter. Impressive performance from Sidibe from that point...

First and foremost, the guy is a great athlete. Ran the floor very well. Blocked several shots. Love his shot blocking form. He goes straight up, knows how to avoid contact with the body and keeps the ball in play to trigger run outs. Game was tied at 40 late in the 3rd and the Gray Bees went on a 28-0 (!) run, sparked in good part to Sidibe on both ends. I love his potential as a weak side shot blocker. He blocks a shot and sprints to the other end of the floor. Great motor.

Hands looked very good. Didn't drop passes or fumble rebounds. Offensively, he made a short jumper from just inside the foul line. Also, made strong move to finish with his left hand (he's righty) off the glass. Also, had an acrobatic off-balance finish in the lane, where he may have gotten fouled but didn't get the call. Of course, he had a nice transition dunk. He had another follow dunk that didn't count but showed his impressive reach. He went up against a 6'9" big from Bergen Catholic, who certainly wasn't a stiff.

One thing that he needs to work on is being disciplined setting screens. They are moving picks just about every time, but he wasn't called for any fouls.

He did the post game interview and though there's a language barrier, he comes off very well and says all the right things. He's all about what WE did, not what HE did.

To me, he reminds me a bit of Baye with the motor and and height but is more skilled. He also is more well built than Baye but his frame is similar. IMO he will get us what Diagne would have: a post player who is ready to go right away. One last thing, he looks mobile enough to play the wing on the back of our zone if need be. He got out to corner shooters very well.

One other thing: one player to watch on St. Benedict's is 6'8" sophomore forward Precious Achiuwa. This kid can play. Love his name too. You can see from a mile away he is an athletic freak. Can shoot too. His brother is former St. John's big man, God'sgift Achiuwa. I expect an SU offer soon. Francis03 you got anything on him?

Last edited:
Just caught this game on fios. Unfortunately, only stumbled onto it with about 3:30 left in third quarter. Impressive performance from Sidibe from that point...

First and foremost, the guy is a great athlete. Ran the floor very well. Blocked several shots. Love his shot blocking form. He goes straight up, knows how to avoid contact with the body and keeps the ball in play to trigger run outs. Game was tied at 40 late in the 3rd and the Gray Bees went on a 28-0 (!) run, sparked in good part to Sidibe on both ends. I love his potential as a weak side shot blocker. He blocks a shot and sprints to the other end of the floor. Great motor.

Hands looked very good. Didn't drop passes or fumble rebounds. Offensively, he made a short jumper from just inside the foul line. Also, made strong move to finish with his left hand (he's righty) off the glass. Also, had an acrobatic off-balance finish in the lane, where he may have gotten fouled but didn't get the call. Of course, he had a nice transition dunk. He had another follow dunk that didn't count but showed his impressive reach. He went up against a 6'9" big from Bergen Catholic, who certainly wasn't a stiff.

One thing that he needs to work on is being disciplined setting screens. They are moving picks just about every time, but he wasn't called for any fouls.

He did the post game interview and though there's a language barrier, he comes off very well and says all the right things. He's all about what WE did, not what HE did.

To me, he reminds me a bit of Baye with the motor and and height but is more skilled. He also is more well built than Baye but his frame is similar. IMO he will get us what Diagne would have: a post player who is ready to go right away. One last thing, he looks mobile enough to play the wing on the back of our zone if need be. He got out to corner shooters very well.

One other thing: one player to watch on St. Benedict's is 6'8" sophomore forward Precious Achiuwa. This kid can play. Love his name too. You can see from a mile away he is an athletic freak. Can shoot too. His brother is former St. John's big man, God'sgift Achiuwa. I expect an SU offer soon. Francis03 you got anything on him?

Terrific summary [per usual], Iommi!

You should be a sports writer. :cool:

Great stuff, iommi. Hoping to catch a St. Benedict's game real soon when I have the time. Have heard really good things about Achiuwa as well. Would expect his stock to jump up even more once the spring/summer circuits take place next year.

Great stuff, iommi. Hoping to catch a St. Benedict's game real soon when I have the time. Have heard really good things about Achiuwa as well. Would expect his stock to jump up even more once the spring/summer circuits take place next year.

If you check them out around NJ let me know but you're probably talking about DC area.

St. Benedict's is loaded. They have another player, freshman guard Noah Farrakhan, who can really shoot. Scrawny little kid right now but beautiful stroke. Hope this game repeats on fios so I can see what I missed.

St. Benedict's is loaded. They have another player, freshman guard Noah Farrakhan, who can really shoot. Scrawny little kid right now but beautiful stroke. Hope this game repeats on fios so I can see what I missed.[/QUOTE]

Little guy can dunk too...As I said, St. Benedict's is loaded.

I have notes from the opening tip, so will add to this over the weekend, but yeah, what this guy said. Great summary and eval, iommi - and completely agree about Achiuwa. Very active, multi-faceted, super athletic player. Him, Sidibe and Farrakhan make for one heck of a nucleus.

Any guy that can block the ball and keep it in play is ok in my book

Following up, and iommi - OnDemand will hook you up with the replay of this game, couple of Summit games, Chatham and St Ants. More to come after they air new ones.
St Benedict's Prep - Bergen Catholic
Q1
Sidibe wins the tip.
Starts off with a deep jumper just inside the three point line and swishes home.
Had an offensive rebound tip try miss.

Missed next jumper bad. Again, a deep-range try. He has a weird delivery. Not pretty. But I've seen full games before. He has a unique athleticism and feel for being in the right spot at the right time. Different player than Diagne, but similarly has great instincts for the game. Confident enough to hit this shot, but won't be taking it anytime soon freshman year in my opinion.

Again, crashes the offensive glass, gets position enough to box defender out, grabs it and 2 handed slams with a quick step inside. Good tomahawk looking flush, for the big man power dunk enthusiasts out there. ;)
VERY ACTIVE. Both Bennies bigs are now. 4-0 all courtesy of our guy.
Another putback cleaning up the glass. 9-0, Bourama scored first 6 points and St Ben's guard (probably Farrakhan? I miss some of these plays but still listening, miss the names from time to time). To compound, this is second hand from my 8 pages of handwritten slop a few weeks ago. :)

Timeout. Bergen Catholic. Talk it over.

(more Q1 to follow)

Sidibe, out on the perimeter with a great block. Really quick anticipation and super agile to get off his feet. Hak-like play. But that was something I am adding now. Part of my issue with his shot is he's got the hot potato yips...shoots it alarmingly quickly? Dan Marino of shooters? I don't know. It's strange is all. But works enough for him for now. I think he is better using his size, good hands and strength to get easy baskets inside. Plays to that most of the time so the shooting is not really an issue. If he is given it outside of 10 feet, he will shoot it. And hits enough to warrant the green light on St. Ben's.

Another offensive possession put back, lays it in easily. He's got about 1-2 inches on Bergen Catholic's center, but their other big is about the same height as Sidibe (6'9 or 6'10 'listed' - in actuality, probably drop that by an inch). Sidibe looks extremely agile for a big guy. Has that kind of athleticism as Diagne, but a better jumper. MD the better defensive rebounder, but Bourama has hit the glass thus far, at least 3 off boards.

He's really owning BC, disruptive on the offensive end. To this point, 8 points, 1 block, 3-4 rebounds. Slips in every time when he crashes the boards. Like I said before and comparable to Diagne, a knack for the ball. Still weird that the other team hasn't identified him enough to at least force other Bennies to make plays.

Bergen Catholic has a mini-run to get it within 7 at the end of the 1st quarter.

Looking at my notes, not much else going on Q2, and I will defer to iommi's for Q3 and on. He had a long rest and didn't do much this frame. Got to the line, rimmed out the first, back rimmed the second. You know. Syracuse basketball. :)

Anyways, I am excited about this guy. Good motor, going to give us possessions, make plays on defense, rebound - clean things up. Better hands than Chino so hold it together, posse! Seriously, you will like this guy. Quick like a cat, long like a 2-3 zone, clever like a fox.