Class of 2020 - C Frank Anselem (GA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 41 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Frank Anselem (GA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's just say we hypothetically land this kid. Incoming class is:
  • Kadary Richmond - PG with the frame / size of a 2
  • Woody Newton - combo forward, trending toward a 4
  • Frank Anselem - pivot who might also be able to be a 4
  • Alan Griffin - B1G experienced / proven wing who can play both the backcourt and the 3
We'd be adding that versatility to a lineup that returns:
  • Three established starters [including PG / C - the two most challenging positions to field, and a shooter]
  • A PF who had a solid debut and is poised to make the sophomore leap in Guerrier
In addition that core nucleus, we'd have:
  • Two backup big men who haven't played much but who both have solid upside
  • An athletic combo forward coming off of an injury redshirt
Really need Griffin to get that waiver. If that happens, we have a LOT of lineup flexibility -- lots more size than last year, which in turn will lead to increased competition in practice for PT. LOVE the idea of big men Sidibe, Anselem, Edwards, Ajak, Dolezaj, and Guerrier all having to earn their minutes and duking it out for the right to play.

Even sans Hughes, we might be better than what you'd expect coming off a lackluster year in 2029-2020. Definitely lots more options at JB's disposal than this past season. He won't be locked into having to ride or die with a fixed rotation, and could go with whatever matchups / lineup combinations work any given game, a la 2012.

Again, contingent upon landing Anselem and Griffin getting his waiver.

Last edited:
Let's just say we hypothetically land this kid. Incoming class is:
  • Kadary Richmond - PG with the frame / size of a 2
  • Woody Newton - combo forward, trending toward a 4
  • Frank Anselem - pivot who might be able to be a 4
  • Alan Griffin - B1G experienced / proven wing who can play both the backcourt and the 3
We'd be adding that versatility to a lineup that returns three established starters, a PF who had a solid debut and is poised to make the sophomore leap in Guerrier, and two backup big men who haven't played much but who both have solid upside.

Really need Griffin to get that waiver. If that happens, we have a LOT of lineup flexibility -- lots more size than last year, and hopefully there will be increased competition in practice for PT. LOVE the idea of Sidibe, Anselem, Edwards, Ajak, Dolezaj, and Guerrier all fighting to get on the floor. Even sans Hughes, we might be better than what it would otherwise seem coming off a lackluster year in 2029-2020. Definitely lots more options at JB's disposal than this past season. We wouldn't be locked into having to play a set six guys every game -- JB could go with whatever matchups work any given game.

Again, contingent upon landing Anselem and Griffin getting his waiver.
Cant Wait to mix in some athletes and prototypical syracuse height to a VERY complimentary supporting cast. Others had mentioned over the past cycles the roster building back up, and now rounding into form.

Cant Wait to mix in some athletes and prototypical syracuse height to a VERY complimentary supporting cast. Others had mentioned over the past cycles the roster building back up, and now rounding into form.

Agreed -- the last two classes have been solid in terms of adding quality depth / program guys. It will pay off at some point in the future.

We are going to have a lot of angry big men on this team, since we will be starting 3 guards and have a bench of 3 forwards, 3 centers and only one guard.

Of course we are chasing all of these big man so we can play a small ball version of the 2-3 zone because that worked great last year why not repeat it...
I wonder what all of the “eggs in one basket” people are going to say if an Anselem commitment takes us out of the running for Etienne.

I like Anselem. I think that unless Sid plays consistently like he did at the end of last season that this kid will start. He is a great fit for JB. Would be a huge win for the staff.

I like the parts of next years team. If Griffin is allowed to play this team has a lot of flexibility. I can’t remember a team with as much experience and flexibility. I think they can be pretty good. We almost started from scratch last year, as far as experience. They can be up and running from day one. If the new guys pick things up quickly we should have a much better pre-ACC record.

I wonder what all of the “eggs in one basket” people are going to say if an Anselem commitment takes us out of the running for Etienne.
I think it might help us with Etienne who I believe wants to play the 4 in college, but he would have to remain in the class of 2021

Read and try to comprehend. I agree Sid will start IF he plays like he did at the end of last season.
What you wrote seemed to indicate you though “this kid” (a thread about Frank) would start.

Read and try to comprehend. I agree Sid will start IF he plays like he did at the end of last season.

Barring injury, Sid starts no matter what. But the readiness of others [including Guerrier / Griffin, who could push Marek to the 5], whether Anselem commits, what Ajak / Edwards bring to the table in year two for both, etc. could all impact his PT if he doesn't bring it like he did at the end of last year.

Great problem to have -- competition is a terrific thing, and tends to elevate the overall level of play.

Barring injury, Sid starts no matter what. But the readiness of others [including Guerrier / Griffin, who could push Marek to the 5], whether Anselem commits, what Ajak / Edwards bring to the table in year two for both, etc. could all impact his PT if he doesn't bring it like he did at the end of last year.

Great problem to have -- competition is a terrific thing, and tends to elevate the overall level of play.
yep. best 7 or 8 will get the minutes in conference play
it's really great when you have multi-positional players
griff can play both wing spots
jgiii can play both guard spots
marek can play both forward spots & center
and a few others potentially though not shown in game play yet

I do not personally believe that we are doing well in the running as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom