Class of 2020 - C Izabel Varejão (Brazil) Grad Transfer from Michigan to Syracuse (5/23/23) | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Izabel Varejão (Brazil) Grad Transfer from Michigan to Syracuse (5/23/23)

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant

Our last center from Brazil was pretty good. I bet they know each other well.

I see she was the #12 ranked recruit in the country coming out of HS. Michigan wasn't able to get much out of her. Let's hope we have more success. It certainly sounds like she has a high ceiling. And two years of eligibility left!

Her video highlights are impressive. Looks like she can shoot with either hand, has a hook shot and is a fine passer. Good shot blocker too.

Last edited:

Syracuse Women’s Basketball gets Michigan 6’4” transfer center!

IMG_3404.jpeg

Izabel Varejão, a 6-foot-4 center, who spent the past four years at Michigan, has transferred to Syracuse and will play basketball for the Orange next season.

"Iza will make an immediate impact on our team," head coach Felisha Legette-Jack said. "She is a well-rounded person who has been on championship teams and absolutely knows how to lead. Iza is a fantastic student athlete who will represent out C.A.B. very well. She will one day be a member of Brazil's national team because of her skillset at 6'4''. She is great at facing up, back to the basket and an extraordinary passer. We are fortunate to have Iza join our Orange family. Orange Nation, please help me welcome her to the BEST school in the country!"

A native of Vitoria-Espirito Santo, Brazil, Varejão is a three-time Academic All-Big Ten honoree and has two years of NCAA eligibility remaining. She appeared in 56 games during her Michigan career averaging 3.9 points and 2.5 rebounds per game.

As a freshmen during the 2019-20 season, she averaged 5.4 points, 3.7 rebounds and 0.8 blocks while appearing in all 32 games for the Wolverines. Due to the COVID-19 global pandemic, she missed most of her sophomore campaign due to travel issues returning to the United States and did not play after returning to Ann Arbor on Feb. 21. As a junior, she appeared in 24 games and helped Michigan to the NCAA Elite Eight, its first in program history. Michigan made three NCAA Tournament appearances during Varejão's tenure in Ann Arbor.

She was an Academic All-Big Ten selection this past season.

Varejão was the No. 12 ranked recruit by All-Star Girls Report (ASGR) out of high school where she graduated from Neuse Christian Academy in Raleigh, N.C., in 2019. She helped Neuse to the National Christian School Athletic Association Division I championship and a runner-up finish in the 1A N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association as a sophomore. She was a McDonald's All-America Game nominee and averaged 14.1 points, 7.6 rebounds and 2.2 blocks per game as a junior.

She was a member of Brazil's U18 Women's National Team in 2016. Her uncle Anderson Varejão, played in the NBA for 13 seasons.

Varejão is the fifth addition for the Orange next season and second grad transfer alongside Dominique Camp.

So does she have 1 or 2 years of eligibility left? Axe says 1 and right underneath that is says 2.

So does she have 1 or 2 years of eligibility left? Axe says 1 and right underneath that is says 2.
An initial article said 2 years but it looks like it was changed to 1 year. So I am thinking that is the right number. Looks like she played 3 years and took a year off for COVID, so that makes sense to me, anyway...

Last edited:
This is the type of player I expected we could possibly get to team up with Mar. Her freshman year showed she could play some, so hopefully we unlock more of that potential and the two form a good team at center.

Feel a really good pickup by the staff. Fills an immediate need but regains the scholarship for the 24 class for a center. Gives Mar time to adjust to the college game. Also now we have three players 6’3 and taller.
Great job by the staff over the last year reworking the roster.

TRANSFER > ISABEL VAREJAO CENTER 6' 4" HAS ONE YEAR REMAINING

"Iza will make an immediate impact on our team," head coach Felisha Legette-Jack said. "She is a well-rounded person who has been on championship teams and absolutely knows how to lead. Iza is a fantastic student athlete who will represent out C.A.B. very well. She will one day be a member of Brazil's national team because of her skillset at 6'4''. She is great at facing up, back to the basket and an extraordinary passer. We are fortunate to have Iza join our Orange family. Orange Nation, please help me welcome her to the BEST school in the country!"

WE'RE FORTUNATE TO HAVE HER FOR A YEAR - ANOTHER EXPERIENCED CAB RECRUIT :)

I may have missed it, but what is wrong with Varejao and any idea when she will return? The team certainly misses her size defensively, we had no resistance to the big from Carolina that planted herself in the lane all night and put in layups. Thanks for any replies!