Class of 2019 - C Jon Bol Ajak (PA) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 C Jon Bol Ajak (PA) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen some suggest that JBA might be the next BMK. People have also stated that BMK really improved by his senior year.

I remember BMK well, but decided to do a bit of homework to see if the comparison was fair. I was surprised by some of what I learned.

BMK was rated 146th, and the 14th best center prospect out of high school.
JBA was rated 371st, and the 61st best center out of high school.

BMK actually scored more points, had more blocks, and rebounds his freshman year than he did in his senior year at SU, and averaged 3.44rpg, 1.08 bpg, and 2.56ppg in his SU career.

BMK was 6'10 and 215 his senior year in high school, whereas JBA weighs in at 6'10" and 205.

BMK started in 11 total games at Syracuse, 10 as a freshman, and only one as a senior.

BMK averaged about 15 mpg for his career (14 as a freshman, 12 as a sophomore, 16 as a junior and 15 as a senior).

I'm throwing these statistics out there to ask if it's really a fair comparison? I realize that JBA had an injury which hurt his rating, and that ratings are not a full proof measure of a player's ability. That said, what do you expect of JBA? Do you think he will be better or worse than BMK, or do you expect a similar career projection? Do you expect that JBA will ever become more than a role player? Why?

**I'm in no way saying we shouldn't have given JBA a chance, especially with the vacancies we anticipate and his high character. His injury certainly could mean his ranking should be higher. It also could be cause for concern. I'm simply asking questions. I'm curious as to the answers I'll see.

I've seen some suggest that JBA might be the next BMK. People have also stated that BMK really improved by his senior year.

I remember BMK well, but decided to do a bit of homework to see if the comparison was fair. I was surprised by some of what I learned.

BMK actually scored more points, had more blocks, and rebounds his freshman year than he did in his senior year at SU, and averaged 3.44rpg, 1.08 bpg, and 2.56ppg in his SU career.

BMK was 6'10 and 215 his senior year in high school, whereas JBA weighs in at 6'10" and 205.

BMK started in 11 total games at Syracuse, 10 as a freshman, and only one as a senior.

BMK averaged about 15 mpg for his career (14 as a freshman, 12 as a sophomore, 16 as a junior and 15 as a senior).

I'm throwing these statistics out there to ask if it's really a fair comparison? I realize that JBA had an injury which hurt his rating, and that ratings are not a full proof measure of a player's ability. That said, what do you expect of JBA? Do you think he will be better or worse than BMK, or do you expect a similar career projection? Do you expect that JBA will ever become more than a role player? Why?

**I'm in no way saying we shouldn't have given JBA a chance, especially with the vacancies we anticipate and his high character. His injury certainly could mean his ranking should be higher. It also could be cause for concern. I'm simply asking questions. I'm curious as to the answers I'll see.

Personally, I don't think he's much like BMK. I think this kid has better offensive capabilities.

I get it -- they are similar in terms of height / physique. Let's see where this kid is in two years. I expect him to be more physically mature than BMK was [I wonder if his admirable diet as a vegetarian held him back in terms of gaining good "size."].

BMK was a plus defender. Remains to be seen whether this kid will be. But, it is important to note that this kid had a Villanova offer, before his injury. He's going to be a great add -- time will bear that out.

Hopefully, we supplement this with another 5 recruit. If we do, this is a disco add.

well, i have only seen a couple of jba videos. from what i saw, i do not really see much of a bmk comparo. bmk had limited skills, but maybe the most non-stop motor of any cuse player this side of marek. in the jba vids i saw, they were too limited to tell about his motor or much of anything else other than that he seemed to have a smooth j for a big guy. in terms of anything else, it is all about trusting the staff, which i do.

Interesting takes. Im curious how/why folks think he has a better offensive skill set than BMK (outside of touch on his shot) because I don't see a whole lot on the offensive end other than the set shot and ability to hit putbacks off missed baskets. If I had to compare them I'd say this:

BMK was faster and more athletic than JBA.
JBA has a better set shot and better hands in general, but no low post game whatsoever, much like BMK. I think BMK had more fire/tenacity/motor than what I've witnessed in JBA, who I think plays a bit soft. BMK was a cerebral player, and that helped make him a good defensive player. If JBA can improve his foot speed he'll have the chance to be a good defensive player too because he's smart. One area I think JBA has a chance to be better than BMK is in his ability to hit the foul line jumper. That would help the offense if he can do that. Some have suggested that he's a face up big man versus a back to the basket guy. I don't really think (outside of his shooting touch) that he currently has any ability to drive with the ball or create his own shot. Perhaps that's something he can develop, but I don't see it at this time.

The optimist in me sees a guy who can play a similar role to that of BMK, with a better outside shot. The achilles injury concerns me, but if it was a fluke injury and it doesn't recur, maybe his speed/lateral quickness has a chance to improve. Fingers crossed because that could make all the difference. I don't view him as a starting center, but certainly worth the risk given our need for depth and the number of vacancies we'll have.

Last edited:
Interesting takes. Im curious how/why folks think he has a better offensive skill set than BMK (outside of touch on his shot) because I don't see a whole lot on the offensive end other than the set shot and ability to hit putbacks off missed baskets. If I had to compare them I'd say this:

BMK was faster and more athletic than JBA.
JBA has a better set shot and better hands in general, but no low post game whatsoever, much like BMK. I think BMK had more fire/tenacity/motor than what I've witnessed in JBA, who I think plays a bit soft. BMK was a cerebral player, and that helped make him a good defensive player. If JBA can improve his foot speed he'll have the chance to be a good defensive player too because he's smart. One area I think JBA has a chance to be better than BMK is in his ability to hit the foul line jumper. That would help the offense if he can do that. Some have suggested that he's a face up big man versus a back to the basket guy. I don't really think (outside of his shooting touch) that he currently has any ability to drive with the ball or create his own shot. Perhaps that's something he can develop, but I don't see it at this time.

The optimist in me sees a guy who can play a similar role to that of BMK, with a better outside shot. The achilles injury concerns me, but if it was a fluke injury and it doesn't recur, maybe his speed/lateral quickness has a chance to improve. Fingers crossed because that could make all the difference. I don't view him as a starting center, but certainly worth the risk given our need for depth and the number of vacancies we'll have.

I wouldn't go that far. This kid's mobility looks fine to me -- he runs the floor very well, and his lateral quickness was discussed in a recent article as a strength.

I wouldn't go that far. This kid's mobility looks fine to me -- he runs the floor very well, and his lateral quickness was discussed in a recent article as a strength.
You could be right. I thought he looked slow when I watched him. Could that be a result of injury... yes perhaps.

I'm curious though. You state you think JBA has better offensive capabilities. I agree he has a better looking shot. Other than aspect, is there a basis for the opinion, or is it simply a guess? Your point about the diet hindering BMK 's ability to bulk up is a good one. On the flip side, it may have helped keep him healthy and injury free?

Other than a couple extremely short instagram clips, do we have any video of JBA? Maybe its just me and I completely missed it (defiantly possible) but I went through the pages and I don't see a single extended highlight tape on him and nothing in Hudl? Where is everyone getting their evaluations from?

Other than a couple extremely short instagram clips, do we have any video of JBA? Maybe its just me and I completely missed it (defiantly possible) but I went through the pages and I don't see a single extended highlight tape on him and nothing in Hudl? Where is everyone getting their evaluations from?
You're right, there's not much footage in this thread. My evaluation comes from watching him play (albeit once). I'm not poking fun at people's assessments or the staff's for that matter. I'm just curious how folks form opinions. Let's hope for the best. He's family now!

You could be right. I thought he looked slow when I watched him. Could that be a result of injury... yes perhaps.

I'm curious though. You state you think JBA has better offensive capabilities. I agree he has a better looking shot. Other than aspect, is there a basis for the opinion, or is it simply a guess? Your point about the diet hindering BMK 's ability to bulk up is a good one. On the flip side, it may have helped keep him healthy and injury free?

It is hard to gauge player capabilities from highlight reels. But there is some good footage out there from camps, game footage, etc. that provides insight about his skill set.

This kid is a very good jump shooter. Not just a guy who can knock down a shot when he's open--he's got a a nice stroke and range out to the three point line. How it translates -- we'll see. He reminds me of a Channing Frye type of player [not suggesting he's as good -- Frye is in the NBA -- but stylistically] more than BMK.

It is hard to gauge player capabilities from highlight reels. But there is some good footage out there from camps, game footage, etc. that provides insight about his skill set.

This kid is a very good jump shooter. Not just a guy who can knock down a shot when he's open--he's got a a nice stroke and range out to the three point line. How it translates -- we'll see. He reminds me of a Channing Frye type of player [not suggesting he's as good -- Frye is in the NBA -- but stylistically] more than BMK.

If he could become a Channing Frye type player, that'd be great. I haven't seen him make a whole lot of contested outside shots. He doesn't have a jump shot, but a bit more of a set shot with a very slow release. It works for him, but his release and arc look a bit goofy to me. I think he can hit the open outside shot for sure, and maybe that'll be enough with other offensive players around him. Time will tell. I'll certainly be pulling for him.

BMK could never do this his entire career...not even close. This kid has more work offensive upside then BMK and it's not close. Also font get the slow feet comments because he runs the floor well. Not trying to hype him up but hes definitely better then some think without a doubt!

Loved bmk... and I realize these are highlights but even the best videographer in the world couldn't make a highlight tape of BMK doing offensive drills look good...he was a great all around player who anchored our zone but this kids offensive upside is way above what BMK had to offer...and some of these highlights are a from a year ago or more...offensive skillset not close.

Now I'm not saying production will be better or worse? Only time will tell how much playing time someone like JBA will get. I'm simply saying that his offensive abilities are far better then BMK. And they are better as him being s junior in high school to BMK being a senior in college. BMK didnt have much ability putting the ball in the hoop but every once in awhile he would surprise us!

BMK could never do this his entire career...not even close. This kid has more work offensive upside then BMK and it's not close. Also font get the slow feet comments because he runs the floor well. Not trying to hype him up but hes definitely better then some think without a doubt!
Wonder what kind of leash Boeheim will give him to let it fly.

Knowing JB...probably short lol. It would be great to have a big who can set s high screen and then pop out to the 3 and actually have to be guarded because he could make that shot. Like how Michigan used Moritz Wagner last year...I envy that!

I agree that BMK was not a shooter, and JBA has a very nice touch for a big guy. In the video you shared JBA shot 6 set shot threes , made a dunk and a put back. That's actually consistent with my assessment. I haven't seen a low post game, or ability to dribble to create a shot beyond maybe stepping into a set shot. Don't get me wrong, his shot may prove valuable. Neither Chewy or BMK hit outside shots. JBA's shot alone may makes him more valuable on offense than either of these guys. It'll be nice to have him at the foul line and know he has the ability to knock it down from there. That will add a missing dimension to our offense.

JBA will IMO, however, need a lot of work to develop a post game, and the ability to drive/dribble. I didn't see that in his game when I watched, nor have I seen that in the videos I've watched. Maybe he can develop these skills? It'll be fun to watch his progression. He seems intelligent and coachable, so those are good intangibles.

I do think his footwork is slow, but that's different from the ability to sprint up and down the court. Is my opinion influenced by his injury? I suppose that's possible. I think his speed is on par with Chewy's but slower than BMK. But that's subjective and eyeball measuring only.

I agree that BMK was not a shooter, and JBA has a very nice touch for a big guy. In the video you shared JBA shot 6 set shot threes , made a dunk and a put back. That's actually consistent with my assessment. I haven't seen a low post game, or ability to dribble to create a shot beyond maybe stepping into a set shot. Don't get me wrong, his shot may prove valuable. Neither Chewy or BMK hit outside shots. JBA's shot alone may makes him more valuable on offense than either of these guys. It'll be nice to have him at the foul line and know he has the ability to knock it down from there. That will add a missing dimension to our offense.

JBA will IMO, however, need a lot of work to develop a post game, and the ability to drive/dribble. I didn't see that in his game when I watched, nor have I seen that in the videos I've watched. Maybe he can develop these skills? It'll be fun to watch his progression. He seems intelligent and coachable, so those are good intangibles.

I do think his footwork is slow, but that's different from the ability to sprint up and down the court. Is my opinion influenced by his injury? I suppose that's possible. I think his speed is on par with Chewy's but slower than BMK. But that's subjective and eyeball measuring only.
Fair assessment. I'm simply saying his offensive abilities and his offensive "ceiling " is most definitely higher then BMK. He definitely needs work in some areas but as you said, he seems eager to work and learn. Seems like a great kid who is coachable and could end up being very good down the road for us. Still dont quite understand his ranking even with the injury because theres no way hes that far down the line but whatever...good 4 year pick up for us and we might end up talking about how big of a steal this was a few years from now. Staff has liked him for awhile now so we have to trust in that!

Fair assessment. I'm simply saying his offensive abilities and his offensive "ceiling " is most definitely higher then BMK. He definitely needs work in some areas but as you said, he seems eager to work and learn. Seems like a great kid who is coachable and could end up being very good down the road for us. Still dont quite understand his ranking even with the injury because theres no way hes that far down the line but whatever...good 4 year pick up for us and we might end up talking about how big of a steal this was a few years from now. Staff has liked him for awhile now so we have to trust in that!
It'll be fun to watch his progress and development. I'm trying to get excited about him. He seems like a very likeable young man, with upside. Does anyone know anything more about the achilles injury? When did he get hurt? What happened?

right now it looks like the strengrh of his game is his stroke. his ability to hit shots in game conditions will have a big impact on his pt. i would not see him getting on the court with a red light, though it is likely he only be a third or fourth option when he does play.

jb let elvir ovcina chuck up 50 threes a year . . . and my impression is that jba's shooting is better than eo's was. elvir was a good passer from the high post, but his shot didn't develop as well as anticipated.

jba looks skilled enough to possibly even evolve into a 4 man

Personally, I don't think he's much like BMK. I think this kid has better offensive capabilities.

I get it -- they are similar in terms of height / physique. Let's see where this kid is in two years. I expect him to be more physically mature than BMK was [I wonder if his admirable diet as a vegetarian held him back in terms of gaining good "size."].

BMK was a plus defender. Remains to be seen whether this kid will be. But, it is important to note that this kid had a Villanova offer, before his injury. He's going to be a great add -- time will bear that out.

Hopefully, we supplement this with another 5 recruit. If we do, this is a disco add.
other than pointing out we took 2 fives the year he signed, i must have missed the bmk comparisons.

jb let elvir ovcina chuck up 50 threes a year . . . and my impression is that jba's shooting is better than eo's was. elvir was a good passer from the high post, but his shot didn't develop as well as anticipated.

jba looks skilled enough to possibly even evolve into a 4 man
Elvir was really the only guy coming to mind as a 5 that was allowed to bomb it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom