Class of 2019 - C Kofi Cockburn (NY/Oak Hill) to Illinois | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 C Kofi Cockburn (NY/Oak Hill) to Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is some validity to the importance of a player "buying in" to the system. They do tend to work harder, and they're more coachable. However, I am concerned that it appears that fewer and fewer of the best players are buying what we're selling.

For example, one would think we should be able to land an elite big guy this class. With Chewy done after this season and Sidibe still somewhat of an unknown commodity, and a health risk, you would think we shouldn't have too much trouble landing an elite big.

IF we do indeed miss on our top bigs maybe JB Ajak can do ok for us. I'm not that high on the guy but I suspect Ajak (and maybe Wahab) is the most realistic target at this point. This does bring to the surface a bigger question.

What is the cause for the elite guys not "buying in?" AND what if anything can be done to rectify it? Is it all corruption/bags? Or do we need to consider other factors?
I think you need to have examples to go to. We have had success with guards and athletic forwards so they can see a path with our program. A big physical big man who is this kid supposed to look at to immolate. Out side of Rak's senior year who can he look at over the last decade. UK can use Anthony Davis and Cousins for example. We ask our big kids to block shots and set screens. Most kids don't want to just do that if they are highly rated.

I think you need to have examples to go to. We have had success with guards and athletic forwards so they can see a path with our program. A big physical big man who is this kid supposed to look at to immolate. Out side of Rak's senior year who can he look at over the last decade. UK can use Anthony Davis and Cousins for example. We ask our big kids to block shots and set screens. Most kids don't want to just do that if they are highly rated.
Lots of truth to this. If I'm a young big looking to go to college and I have nba talent I'm definitely not all that impressed with watching what our bigs do in our system. (At least the past few years) it's just not appealing and I can see why we struggle to get these types of bigs lately. Coleman was suppose to be one and all signs pointed to him being that guy for us but obviously that didnt pan out how many thought due to injuries etc. We recruit a certain type more often then not to fit the zone.. it works for us but it still stinks watching bigs like kofi choose to go to other schools due to not fitting our system or wanting to play our style of ball. It is what it is until changes are made and that's not happening for a few more years.

Lots of truth to this. If I'm a young big looking to go to college and I have nba talent I'm definitely not all that impressed with watching what our bigs do in our system. (At least the past few years) it's just not appealing and I can see why we struggle to get these types of bigs lately. Coleman was suppose to be one and all signs pointed to him being that guy for us but obviously that didnt pan out how many thought due to injuries etc. We recruit a certain type more often then not to fit the zone.. it works for us but it still stinks watching bigs like kofi choose to go to other schools due to not fitting our system or wanting to play our style of ball. It is what it is until changes are made and that's not happening for a few more years.

The really interesting counter question is if we land a big like Kofi would we be successful with him manning the middle? No doubt JB could utilize him on offense, but would he be capable of playing the defense that we play well enough? Don't know the answer.....

Immolate?

That would literally be NBA Jam ON FIRE!!!
:p

I agree with you all that it's true that the type of style we play isn't that enticing to centers who aspire to play in the NBA. But I do think we have had BIG centers that have faired well in our system. Arinze comes to mind. Etan was built like a tank. Fab played well here.

So are we now missing the elite bigs because of our style - My answer is partially yes, but not entirely. I think it's a bit more complex than that The sanctions have hurt, some kids want a younger coach, and we've had a lot of guys transfer out (which can look to an outsider like displeasure with the program). There are so many variables that it's impossible to say it's any ONE cause.

Could Kofi contribute well in our system? Hard to answer. If I was a betting person, I'd be more inclined to bet on Kofi than a guy like Ajak. But that's the thing. Unless we land both of them there is no way to know who'd play better. It's all just speculation.

Good posts!

I agree with you all that it's true that the type of style we play isn't that enticing to centers who aspire to play in the NBA. But I do think we have had BIG centers that have faired well in our system. Arinze comes to mind. Etan was built like a tank. Fab played well here.

So are we now missing the elite bigs because of our style - My answer is partially yes, but not entirely. I think it's a bit more complex than that The sanctions have hurt, some kids want a younger coach, and we've had a lot of guys transfer out (which can look to an outsider like displeasure with the program). There are so many variables that it's impossible to say it's any ONE cause.

The last sentence is absolutely true, but many of the your questions and theories suggest you think there is an "answer".

I said this the other day, I think in response to someone on here saying "we absolutely have to get one of these stud big men". We aren't all of a sudden missing on elite bigs. We have never been terribly successful landing elite bigs. I think you can count on one hand the bigs that we've landed that were considered elite at the time that we were recruiting them. I would include DC II, Fab Melo, Rak,, McRae and DCI in that group over a 30+ year period. Maybe Rosie if you want to go back to the beginning of JB's tenure.

We've had some additional outstanding bigs, but they are guys that have developed in the role. They aren't guys that were elite Big recruits. Guys like Thomas, Arinze and Seikaly were not elite center recruits.

The last sentence is absolutely true, but many of the your questions and theories suggest you think there is an "answer".

I said this the other day, I think in response to someone on here saying "we absolutely have to get one of these stud big men". We aren't all of a sudden missing on elite bigs. We have never been terribly successful landing elite bigs. I think you can count on one hand the bigs that we've landed that were considered elite at the time that we were recruiting them. I would include DC II, Fab Melo, Rak,, McRae and DCI in that group over a 30+ year period. Maybe Rosie if you want to go back to the beginning of JB's tenure.

We've had some additional outstanding bigs, but they are guys that have developed in the role. They aren't guys that were elite Big recruits. Guys like Thomas, Arinze and Seikaly were not elite center recruits.

I don't really know what you're getting at. I ask questions to spark discussion. Sometimes I pose questions because I am truly curious how people will answer. Sometimes (depending on the topic) I do think I have answers, just like all the other people on this board. Sometimes I do become a bit more blunt in my tone (especially when interacting with certain unnamed individuals). But I try to offer a balanced view. I post positive things when it's warranted, but I'm not afraid to ask the hard questions, and call out for change if something could be improved upon. I try to be respectful, but I'm not afraid of stepping on peoples toes. That's why I get under the skin of others.

In regards to the elite bigs... I think it depends on the need. Some classes it's more important to land a high level big than others. Considering Chewy will be gone (all indications are that he will after this season) and Sidibe being a bit of an unknown commodity both in playing time and health, this is a season that landing a college ready big is more important. I would've been more open to a project center last year than this recruiting cycle. Good post.

I dont really care much if we end up with akok and wahab. Jones could even be sprinkled in.

I was disappointed not to be among his finalists but might as well avoid another Bazley situation.
This response might be a little off-topic but here goes. While I hope (and would like) Kofi selects Syracuse, he would most likely be a one and done candidate which puts us back in the big man recruiting need scenario in one year.

In the past, there is no sure insight on a recruit being a one and done. For example, Tyler Ennis looked like a 4 year player and he was gone after 1 year. Paul Harris came in with hype that he would be a 1 and done and he lasted 3 years (probably to his dismay).

Of the 11 or so recruits that we are still in the hunt for, I would say IMO that the following would be one and done candidates:
Kofi Cockburn (20% chance or less that we land him)
Isiah Stewart. (10% chance or less)
Precious Achiuwa (30% chance)
Quincy Guerrier (possibly) (50% chance or less), may be a 2 yr and done candidate.
Jalen Lecque (10% chance or less)

The others are most likely 3-4 year candidates:
Joe Girard, III (53%)
Brycen Goodine. (99.975% chance)
Qudus Wahab. (30% chance or less)
Jon Bol Ajak. (50% chance)
Akok Akok. (50% or less)
Kai Jones (possible 1 and done). (30% chance or less)

I tend to agree with this. I really shouldn’t get my hopes up with any top big man. Watching our bigs must be frustrating (or comical) for recruits and/or their coaches. They often struggle with fundamentals like screening as do our guards in how to run the play properly. If bigs are coming in solely to screen and that’s not even being done well; then there is a bit of a problem. Rak isn’t the league. No recruit now probably remembers Arinze or even Fab. Keita? Uhhh... There is not a lot of evidence of recent success to the eyes of recruits I bet. Then there are the debacles of not being able to catch or finish if anybody has watched games of ours recently. If they aren’t laughing their asses off they’re probably seriously scratching their heads wondering what is going on.

I tend to agree with this. I really shouldn’t get my hopes up with any top big man. Watching our bigs must be frustrating (or comical) for recruits and/or their coaches. They often struggle with fundamentals like screening as do our guards in how to run the play properly. If bigs are coming in solely to screen and that’s not even being done well; then there is a bit of a problem. Rak isn’t the league. No recruit now probably remembers Arinze or even Fab. Keita? Uhhh... There is not a lot of evidence of recent success to the eyes of recruits I bet. Then there are the debacles of not being able to catch or finish if anybody has watched games of ours recently. If they aren’t laughing their asses off they’re probably seriously scratching their heads wondering what is going on.

Sometimes I wonder if you believe your own postings? You think that recruits watching PC struggle to catch and finish are wondering what is going on?? Really?? PC has elite height and wingspan, everything else about him has been project. He has actually developed reasonably well given the starting point.

I don’t disagree with the larger point which is that we are not a school that you associate with polished big men.

Sometimes I wonder if you believe your own postings? You think that recruits watching PC struggle to catch and finish are wondering what is going on?? Really?? PC has elite height and wingspan, everything else about him has been project. He has actually developed reasonably well given the starting point.

I don’t disagree with the larger point which is that we are not a school that you associate with polished big men.
Of course I believe it. I wouldn’t post, otherwise. It’s my opinion obviously. It might not be popular but that doesn’t make me less of a fan or diehard than anybody else. When during certain games (like @UVA) I have a random colleague texting me (former coach and player) wondering and mocking at what the hell our PG/ C/offense are doing and why they are on the floor; it’s not out of the realm of possibility that recruits are scratching their heads too. Now, my guy wasn’t wrong but I had to clarify of course and shed some light regarding our thin roster, defections, injuries, etc.

Last edited:
Per my friend, he's hoping to skip college and that's why he's going to Oak Hill.

That would make sense. He's going to be taking remedial classes at Oak Hill to stay on the floor. CTK has a much higher academic standard.

Eh not sure I believe we are in this (I think he is down to like 4 or 5 and is name dropping) BUT if we get a official then that's different. Guess well see what happens!

I think hes really down to Kansas, Pitt, uconn, st johns and maybe LSU. Would love it if we get a visit and at least have a chance to show him what we are about!

This kid is from New York. I assume he watches a lot of big east /ACC games given his locality. Why would anyone leave a media hot New York for Kansas to play against teams he really sees. Throw in Kansas absolute domination in that conference is boring. Who are you facing? Who would you be playing here at Cuse? It’s like a no brained given the size of our crowds and the talent Boeheim has/ is putting together right here in his backyard. Not coming here makes no sense to me.

This is so weird

I am not down on our recruiting as some are but you have to admit some of these recruitment's the last few years have been down right bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.