Class of 2019 - C Kofi Cockburn (NY/Oak Hill) to Illinois | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 C Kofi Cockburn (NY/Oak Hill) to Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

"When I look at a question like this it comes down to projection and the evolution of the game of basketball. To me that makes Kofi Cockburn the most difficult player to evaluate in the class of 2019.

If this was 20 years ago we'd know real quickly what to expect from Cockburn. He is a huge human who has good enough hands, can rebound his area, and has a decent touch in the paint.

However we now live in a world of analytics, ball screen coverages, and pace and space offenses. Cockburn doesn't run the floor great and really struggles to move laterally where he will be exposed in ball screens in college. Add in that true post ups aren't real efficient ways to score, and it is tough to know exactly how effective a true old school center like Cockburn will be at the next level.

Recruiting: Syracuse, St. John’s, UConn others"

If you can't move laterally, you will get exposed playing the middle in the 2-3 zone. We saw plenty of that with DC2.

He is playing in the Sharette Dixon Classic on Sunday in the Bronx at 8 p.m. (along with many other Cuse recruits).

I like this guy. I understand some of the concerns about his lack of quickness, especially laterally in the zone. BUT this guy is big AND strong, and he certainly will not get moved off the block too easily. I need to watch more of him to have a thorough opinion, but I think he's promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.