Class of 2021 - C Mac Etienne (CT/Brewster) Offered | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 C Mac Etienne (CT/Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this stat line from Mac...
Screenshot_20200204-153108_Instagram.jpg

Rumor is he is a 20 reclass candidate, per R I vals...

UConn seems to think he is a lean that way. Any idea where he stands?

Rumor is he is a 20 reclass candidate, per R I vals...

UConn seems to think he is a lean that way. Any idea where he stands?
If he reclasses it seems unlikely he’d come here. We’d have Sidibe, JBA and Edwards

If he reclasses it seems unlikely he’d come here. We’d have Sidibe, JBA and Edwards

I think it could work. Edwards is a logical redshirt candidate. JBA will be a redshirt freshman, still a little raw, and not necessarily have a leg up on an incoming freshman. Etienne would probably not start over Sidibe but see a ton of minutes and maybe even be the guy during crunch time. He also seems versatile enough to play some 4, so maybe he gets time there when Dolezaj lands in foul trouble or needs a break.

To me, Etienne could be more like a 2-and-done, so one year sharing time and next year starting might be fine, depending what the kid's plan is. Year 2, he starts at center, Edwards backs up, JBA gets minutes when and where he can (then gets a big role in his remaining two years). Hopefully, the staff is framing this so Etienne has no concerns. The relationship with Dior Johnson could be key, although if he reclasses, they may never play with each other.

I really wish we would stop acting like we are all set with the three centers we currently have. For the most part center has been a train wreck. We should be all over this kid to come here. Seems to me ever since we lost Bernie Fine (I am in no way suggesting that Fine should be here) , we never replaced him with someone who isn't a guard that has that experience to work with the centers. I am not suggesting that Autry or Griffin aren't capable, however for a top recruit at Center prospect I often wonder how attractive it is to want to come to Syracuse especially since we didn't have anyone on the staff who actually played the position or had a deep understanding of the specifics of the position. This staff needs to own this mess at that position because it is inexcusable that we can't get someone solid every year to play for our community.

I really wish we would stop acting like we are all set with the three centers we currently have. For the most part center has been a train wreck. We should be all over this kid to come here. Seems to me ever since we lost Bernie Fine (I am in no way suggesting that Fine should be here) , we never replaced him with someone who isn't a guard that has that experience to work with the centers. I am not suggesting that Autry or Griffin aren't capable, however for a top recruit at Center prospect I often wonder how attractive it is to want to come to Syracuse especially since we didn't have anyone on the staff who actually played the position or had a deep understanding of the specifics of the position. This staff needs to own this mess at that position because it is inexcusable that we can't get someone solid every year to play for our community.

I dont think thats at all what he was saying. I read it more along the lines of Macs thinking...why would he come to a school with 3 dudes at his position...whether he is better or not.

I dont think thats at all what he was saying. I read it more along the lines of Macs thinking...why would he come to a school with 3 dudes at his position...whether he is better or not.
Yes. We get 13 scholarships and 4 of them would be dedicated to 1 position for 2020. That leaves 9 scholarships for the other 4 positions.

If Etiene came next year he could be our best center, who knows, but what if he’s not? Then we have 4 average centers and 4 guys who can only play the 5, fantastic.

Right now we have no open scholarships for 2020, in fact we have 1 player too many. Eli will probably leave, then we’re set. But what if we want Towns? Someone else has to go - we assume Carey or HoWash, but that’s not a guarantee. So if Mac goes 2020 (and we get Towns) we need yo clear an additional scholarship. Not only that, but JBA will be a redshirt freshman and Edwards a sophomore along with a senior Sidibe. It seems like we have more important things to worry about (replacing Hughes) than we do getting a 4th center.

Like I said, Mac could come in and be our best center, but that’s not my point. I think our center position is serviceable next year. We all see the potential with JBA/Edwards so in 2 years we may be fine with both of them. Clingan in 2022 times up well for us.

Also in regards to UConn, next year they have 2 senior centers, a raw freshman in JBF and a few guys that can play the 4 in Akok, Polley and Springs.

So Etiene can go there in 2021 and be the only 5 on the roster along with JBF, or he can come here where we have a redshirt sophomore and a junior.

schloarship allocation is very important.

Last edited:

Good point...it took me two paragraphs to make the SU pitch. Coach "Makes U Wanna" Hurley only needs three words: Starter, Day One.

However, it comes down to which school Etienne really likes best. If it's UConn, so be it. None of this matters anyway. If it's Syracuse, he should made aware that betting on himself by coming here is a pretty safe bet. Hint for Mac -- despite those 3 dudes at center, SU was still trying to get Tape. If Coach Boeheim is recruiting you for '20, he regards you as an upgrade, not depth. An upgrade is going to play a ton.

Yes. We get 13 scholarships and 4 of them would be dedicated to 1 position for 2020. That leaves 9 scholarships for the other 4 positions.

If Etiene came next year he could be our best center, who knows, but what if he’s not? Then we have 4 average centers and 4 guys who can only play the 5, fantastic.

Right now we have no open scholarships for 2020, in fact we have 1 player too many. Eli will probably leave, then we’re set. But what if we want Towns? Someone else has to go - we assume Carey or HoWash, but that’s not a guarantee. So if Mac goes 2020 (and we get Towns) we need yo clear an additional scholarship. Not only that, but JBA will be a redshirt freshman and Edwards a sophomore along with a senior Sidibe. It seems like we have more important things to worry about (replacing Hughes) than we do getting a 4th center.

Like I said, Mac could come in and be our best center, but that’s not my point. I think our center position is serviceable next year. We all see the potential with JBA/Edwards so in 2 years we may be fine with both of them. Clingan in 2022 times up well for us.

Also in regards to UConn, next year they have 2 senior centers, a raw freshman in JBF and a few guys that can play the 4 in Akok, Polley and Springs.

So Etiene can go there in 2021 and be the only 5 on the roster along with JBF, or he can come here where we have a redshirt sophomore and a junior.

schloarship allocation is very important.
Que the move Buddy off scholarship debates

If your confident in your ability why worry about who is already there? He is more talented than our current centers and shouldn't be concerned about it.

If your confident in your ability why worry about who is already there? He is more talented than our current centers and shouldn't be concerned about it.
It’s about us, not him. If he comes in 2020, we will 4 of our 13 scholarships dedicated to centers and 3 of them will be underclassmen. It also appears that all 3 can only play the 5 (I’m sure in a pinch they could play the 4, but we’d have terrible offensive spacing with 2 of them on the court at the same time).

If he stayed in 2021, it gives us another year to look at JBA/Edwards - if one of them really emerge , we probably don’t need another center.

Look, I like Etiene but he’s not a slam dunk/generational guy like Dior. He could be a solid college player and our best center, but we only have 13 scholarships. And like I went through earlier, if he’s a 2020 and we still want Towns, 3 guys need to leave

It also appears that all 3 can only play the 5
you may be right but i wouldn't make that assumption just yet
edwards' dutch coach thinks his future is at the 4
jba certainly has the range and also showed good mobility and even passable ballhandling at the midnight madness skills challenge

Talked to someone in the know at the Dome yesterday. He strongly feels that Tape is not coming and that Mac is staying in 2021 and that we have a strong shot at him (moreso than clingan the following year.)

Talked to someone in the know at the Dome yesterday. He strongly feels that Tape is not coming and that Mac is staying in 2021 and that we have a strong shot at him (moreso than clingan the following year.)
Towns is the bigger priority. We miss on him and find nobody else comparable, might as well cancel next season.

That don't make no sense.

well, if you consider Hughes, Carey, Washington, Braswell and Dolezaj are all leaving; that the freshmen are Plan B talents at best; and that none of the returning players will improve at all, we might as well plug in the 0-31 result now!

well, if you consider Hughes, Carey, Washington, Braswell and Dolezaj are all leaving; that the freshmen are Plan B talents at best; and that none of the returning players will improve at all, we might as well plug in the 0-31 result now!
They are all leaving? Thats news

I guess when you put it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors