Class of 2018 - C Majur Majak (NJ) to St Peters | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 C Majur Majak (NJ) to St Peters

The name possibilities are fun though. We have Gerry the Mayor on the bench. The Majur, Chewy and Bowlarama in the middle. Possibly a precious at forward?

Even then we have an array of awesome names to go around.

Not to drag this out any further (but I am), I think where people get confused by your stance is that there is very little actual information out there on the interwebs about Majak. Very few actual game videos, very few in person performance reviews, and nothing at all recent. His ranking is likely based just on the fact he goes to a well known NJ HS. So no one really knows much about how good or bad he actually is. And no one knows what your basing your skepticism.

So an optimistic tone would be nice. But its your choice.

And no, you don't have to state your opinion again. We've already read it.

I don't have any idea if you've read the entire thread or not, but when asked I did provide some statistics that explain my skepticism. I also tried to show some optimism by posting a video of Majak that no one else had shared. I found some combine statistics as well. I also posted two articles about African players in NJ which mentioned both Majak and Sidibe. I have said that I love SU and that if we land Majak I will pull for him.

That said, I have made positive contributions to this thread whether anyone chooses to recognize them or not. In fact, I am one of the few people who have posted anything other than just speculation. Is it only positive if I parrot what others want me to say?

Last edited:
200w.gif

I don't think this video has been shared yet:

Not sure. Good find. There has been tweets about Roselle playing in the fall festival over the past week or so in NJ but box scores or write ups hard to come by.

This is just for fun (please don't take this as an endorsement), but for the sake of adding some more fun conversation what song should be played over the Dome speakers when Majak scores or blocks a shot? Here are a few of my suggestions:

Do you Believe in Magic? (Lovin Spoonfuls)

Magic Carpet Ride (Steppenwolf)
Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride 1968 HQ

Abracadabra (Steve Miller)
Steve miller Band - Abracadabra

This is just for fun (please don't take this as an endorsement), but for the sake of adding some more fun conversation what song should be played over the Dome speakers when Majak scores or blocks a shot? Here are a few of my suggestions:

Here's hoping they use something more comtemporary & relevant

Here's hoping they use something more comtemporary & relevant

I guess I'm dating myself by the songs I picked... that said I'm not a big rap fan, but a young guy would probably be more inclined to pick yours.

Do you Believe in Magic? (Lovin Spoonfuls)

Magic Carpet Ride (Steppenwolf)
Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride 1968 HQ

Abracadabra (Steve Miller)
Steve miller Band - Abracadabra

A++ for music choice. Some good stuff music wise on entertainment board fyi.

:bat:

Bad idea to reopen. For myself.

Anyway, will be intriguing to see how his recruiting goes.

And carry on.

Andrew Slater of 24/7 sports did a crystal ball for Majur Majak, a 7-1 Center out of Elizabeth, NJ who plays for St. Patrick, for Syracuse. Seeing that we have had two crystal balls for two players that we have not offered pop up in the past week makes me wonder if there is a glitch on the site or are we hitting the recruiting trail to fill out our class this year. Anyone have any information on this?

I predicted we'd sign him months ago. It was strictly the tone of the Waters article... sounded like a sales pitch. I've not been behind offering Majak BUT I suppose I can't argue for offering Girard and use the excuse that we have vacancies and need depth, and not apply it to Majak too... ;)

That said, I really hope the EJ rumor has legitimacy to it.

If it hasn't already been said, it would be a complete disgrace and travesty if this guy wasn't nicknamed as such and wasn't introduced with this song in the starting lineups:

Or this one would be good too... :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Unless more than one current scholarship player elects not to return for next season, I believe that we are at the total number of scholarship players we can have. This assumes that Tyrus Battle leaving is a given.

PG Frank Howard, Howard Washington, Jalen Carey
SG Elijah Hughes, Brandon Bayer, Buddy Boeheim (who may not be scholarship)
SF Darius Bazley, Oshae Brissette
PF Matt Moyer, Marek Dolesac
C Bourama Sidibe, Pascal Chukwu

That is 12 counting Buddy which is the most the NCAA sanctions allow. If Buddy is not counted but Battle stays, then we are at the mix.

Unless more than one current scholarship player elects not to return for next season, I believe that we are at the total number of scholarship players we can have. This assumes that Tyrus Battle leaving is a given.

That is 12 counting Buddy which is the most the NCAA sanctions allow. If Buddy is not counted but Battle stays, then we are at the mix.

One advantage with Buddy is that we can elect not to use an athletic scholarship on him. I'm predicting Majak will be offered. Time will tell.

Nice breakdown. Presumably, Bayer wouldn't be offered a scholarship next season. I'm sure that was just given since we were under the line this year, so better to award it to a walk on instead of letting it go unused. BUT if they needed it to add a recruiting prospect, they wouldn't tie it up on a walk on.

So by my count, we'd have 11 used, and possibly 10 if Buddy doesn't occupy a scholarship due to his dad being a university employee. Borrowing from your listing above:

SG Elijah Hughes, Buddy Boeheim (who may not be scholarship)

Not suggesting that Majuk will be the guy to be offered [or that he should] -- just that we probably will have an open scholarship -- and potentially two -- at the staff's disposal, before we get to the max.

Nice breakdown. Presumably, Bayer wouldn't be offered a scholarship next season. I'm sure that was just given since we were under the line this year, so better to award it to a walk on instead of letting it go unused. BUT if they needed it to add a recruiting prospect, they wouldn't tie it up on a walk on.

So by my count, we'd have 11 used, and possibly 10 if Buddy doesn't occupy a scholarship due to his dad being a university employee. Borrowing from your listing above:

SG Elijah Hughes, Buddy Boeheim (who may not be scholarship)

Not suggesting that Majuk will be the guy to be offered [or that he should] -- just that we probably will have an open scholarship -- and potentially two -- at the staff's disposal, before we get to the max.
Regarding Bayer, according to the article I read in his hometown paper, he was offered/given a scholarship for this year and next year already.

From Division III to Syracuse: Dutchess' Bayer achieves basketball dream

Regarding Bayer, according to the article I read in his hometown paper, he was offered/given a scholarship for this year and next year already.

From Division III to Syracuse: Dutchess' Bayer achieves basketball dream

In no way am I doubting the veracity of the information you're providing -- that article certainly states that. But it seems like a wasteful use of a limited resource, that is even more "scarce" given that we are still coping with scholarship restrictions from the NCAA. It is one thing to utilize it this year, when we have a scholarship that would lie fallow if it goes unused, to reward a hard working kid like Bayer. But to tie it up for two years seems like poor roster management.

Nothing against Bayer.

In no way am I doubting the veracity of the information you're providing -- that article certainly states that. But it seems like a wasteful use of a limited resource, that is even more "scarce" given that we are still coping with scholarship restrictions from the NCAA. It is one thing to utilize it this year, when we have a scholarship that would lie fallow if it goes unused, to reward a hard working kid like Bayer. But to tie it up for two years seems like poor roster management.

Nothing against Bayer.
If that's true, then good for the kid. But what the f is the staff doing when we still have some depth and roster management questions? With injury concerns surrounding HW and Bourama, a kid that may go back home halfway across the globe to play for pay, and two other guys that have had serious injuries in Moyer/PC, why would we tie up possibly our last scholarship on a walk-on that probably won't ever contribute meaningfully?

It just seems weird that a kid that was a walk-on and not expected to receive a scholarship, maybe ever, this year all of a sudden gets the scholarship for 2 years?

Last edited:
If that's true, then good for the kid. But what the is the staff doing when we still have some depth and roster management questions? With injury concerns surrounding HW and Bourama, a kid that may go back home halfway across the globe to play for pay, and two other guys that have had serious injuries in Moyer/PC, why would we tie up possibly our last scholarship on a walk-on that probably won't ever contribute meaningfully?

It just seems weird that a kid that was a walk-on and not expected to receive a scholarship, maybe ever, this year all of a sudden gets the scholarship for 2 years?

When I first read the article, that was my sentiment also. Then I re-thought that he must bring some useful skills and/or intensity that can gain him some playing time. It would be a waste of a scholarship if he would only play 1-3 minutes or less on average over the next two years. I can only hope that the staff sees more value in Bayer's potential and gives him an opportunity to show that potential in game situations.