Class of 2018 - C/OG Tyrone Sampson Portal from Fresno St | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 C/OG Tyrone Sampson Portal from Fresno St

Is there anyone that doesn't see Sampson as a 4 year starter?
Having the potential and "star" rating to do something, and then actually "doing" it are two different things.

Yes, he appears to be very talented to me. Not because of his star rating, but, because I watched him compete against elite competition and perform well.

May he be a 4-year starter? Sure, why not... But, to make those types of assumptions before the kid has spent one day of his life on a college campus is unfair. These are the exact type of prognostications that will have guys saying he sucks if he struggles to crack the lineup as a true Fr.

Quite honestly, 99% of the time, those expectations are unrealistic.

Having the potential and "star" rating to do something, and then actually "doing" it are two different things.

Yes, he appears to be very talented to me. Not because of his star rating, but, because I watched him compete against elite competition and perform well.

May he be a 4-year starter? Sure, why not... But, to make those types of assumptions before the kid has spent one day of his life on a college campus is unfair. These are the exact type of prognostications that will have guys saying he sucks if he struggles to crack the lineup as a true Fr.

Soooooo... you're saying this is the 1% of the time that it is realistic, right?

Sincerely,
A college football fan who only hears what he wants to hear.

Has nothing to do with star rating. Has to do with him going out and competing against the very best in the country and that's what made him recognized as one of the top 3 Centers in the country. The kid has the size, and his strength is his technique, which is something that usually holds OL recruits back. He is coming in January so will have Spring and Fall camp under his belt, and the OL is an obvious weakness, that already has underclassmen starting on the interior. That's what I base my expectations on.

I said in another thread that Jack Smith (not even rated on ESPN, and one of our lowest "rated" commits) and Trill Williams as my 2 favorites commits in the class. So i'm not basing my opinion on stars...even though it's nice to see Babers actually bringing in some talent for a change.

Last edited:
Has nothing to do with star rating. Has to do with him going out and competing against the very best in the country and that's what made him recognized as one of the top 3 Centers in the country. The kid has the size, and his strength is his technique, which is something that usually holds OL recruits back. He is coming in January so will have Spring and Fall camp under his belt, and the OL is an obvious weakness, that already has underclassmen starting on the interior. That's what I base my expectations on.

I said in another thread that Jack Smith (not even rated on ESPN, and one of our lowest "rated" commits) and Trill Williams are my 2 favorites commits in the class. So i'm not basing my opinion on stars...even though it's nice to see Babers actually bringing in some talent for a change.
Playing the camp game got him recognized, hence, stars/rating. The fact that he blocked some of the best in the country without pads on, was encouraging to me, but, doesn't mean shat. Honestly, I think he plays a little high, but, he's going to be a good one. Technique is "ok".

The fact that he's a mid-year is the only reason I'd ever even think that starting from jump would be a possibility. Just a possibility.

I just don't think he should be labeled a 4-year guy before ever getting to college. Unfair expectation.

Playing the camp game got him recognized, hence, stars/rating. The fact that he blocked some of the best in the country without pads on, was encouraging to me, but, doesn't mean shat. Honestly, I think he plays a little high, but, he's going to be a good one. Technique is "ok".

The fact that he's a mid-year is the only reason I'd ever even think that starting from jump would be a possibility. Just a possibility.

I just don't think he should be labeled a 4-year guy before ever getting to college. Unfair expectation.

Well here's hoping that he sees the field by the time he's a redshirt Junior. Have I adjusted my optimism accordingly?

Well here's hoping that he sees the field by the time he's a redshirt Junior. Have I adjusted my optimism accordingly?
Dude, seriously?. I wasn't saying that... I hope he plays. I just said it shouldn't be expected.

Nobody was infringing on your opinion, just stating mine on the other side and providing my reasons against yours.

Last edited:
Dude, seriously?. I wasn't saying that... I hope he plays. I just said it shouldn't be expected.

Nobody was infringing on your opinion, just stating mine on the other side and providing my reasons against yours.

Well if that's the case you basically made up my stance since you were implying I was basing my opinion based on "star rating"...which it wasn't

Don't want to alarm anyone, but Emil Ekiyor is expected to flip to Alabama from Michigan. So get ready to fight off Harbaugh again...

Didn't say I was worried, just don't be shocked if Harbaugh comes around.
Harbaugh is becoming a bit of a freak. Dont think Ty cares too much for a sleep over

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom