Class of 2018 - C/OG Tyrone Sampson Portal from Fresno St | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 C/OG Tyrone Sampson Portal from Fresno St

I have said this before but I will again anyways. He will probably redshirt and I only say this cause oline is the hardest spot to start as freshmen. There are some big sob in ACC on dline and it's incredible difficult to block them at 18 yrs old. I love this kid but what would Slayton do to the poor kid as a true freshman. He needs year in weight room and film room and then he can be all American freshman team and be a 3 year all American. Please be a little patient big guy. (Sampson) You will be unbelievable here.

I have said this before but I will again anyways. He will probably redshirt and I only say this cause oline is the hardest spot to start as freshmen. There are some big sob in ACC on dline and it's incredible difficult to block them at 18 yrs old. I love this kid but what would Slayton do to the poor kid as a true freshman. He needs year in weight room and film room and then he can be all American freshman team and be a 3 year all American. Please be a little patient big guy. (Sampson) You will be unbelievable here.
He'll be starting as a true freshman. He's enrolling in January and will have 7 months to prepare.

He'll be starting as a true freshman. He's enrolling in January and will have 7 months to prepare.
I tend to agree on this. It looks to me as though Servais is not real comfortable at center. I think he would be a lot better at guard or tackle. If I had to guess the starters next season right now, it would be

LT Conway LG Roberts C Sampson RG Adams RT Servais

Heckel would be the center if Sampson is not ready.

There will be some quality players on the two deep, and the OL unit as a whole will be in the most shape it has been in for a very long time.

I tend to agree on this. It looks to me as though Servais is not real comfortable at center. I think he would be a lot better at guard or tackle. If I had to guess the starters next season right now, it would be

There will be some quality players on the two deep, and the OL unit as a whole will be in the most shape it has been in for a very long time.
Genuinely believe that Sampson is better RIGHT NOW than any center on our roster.

Genuinely believe that Sampson is better RIGHT NOW than any center on our roster.
I hope so. I feel his technique is ready and his footwork is nice, just dont think he is physically ready yet and if he does start then i hope im very wrong and hop he is stronger than he looks.

You would a true freshman on a line with 4 guys who have plenty of experience which is a good scenario if he plays next year. Much different than a true freshman surrounded by RS freshman and sophomores.

I'm with bnoro on this one and think many of you are going to be pleasantly surprised. This kid is the real deal, a true blue chip recruit, the likes of which we haven't seen in some time. He is very strong but more importantly plays with excellent technique. Excellent footwork and hands, can bend, redirect, and work off of an anchor. Those are advanced skills. His biggest challenge is going to be leaning out his body and learning his responsibilities. He definitely won't dominate ACC level competition as a true freshman, but I think he'll more than hold his own.

UGHHHH... I wish we had just 1 of the LBer's coming back next year and 1 of the WR's next year.

I'm with bnoro on this one and think many of you are going to be pleasantly surprised. This kid is the real deal, a true blue chip recruit, the likes of which we haven't seen in some time. He is very strong but more importantly plays with excellent technique. Excellent footwork and hands, can bend, redirect, and work off of an anchor. Those are advanced skills. His biggest challenge is going to be leaning out his body and learning his responsibilities. He definitely won't dominate ACC level competition as a true freshman, but I think he'll more than hold his own.
I love the fact you mentioned his hands! The kid really understands leverage and knows how to use his very quick hands.

Reallllly excited about that starting 5.

I think you put this well, Tom. Servais definitely has size and talent. I'm not sure how he is in protection versus the run, but lots of his blocks are pancakes, even against top 10 teams. As far as where on the OL he's best suited, you're a better authority than I'll ever be. But that lineup might be as good as any in the ACC and on par with the best O-Lines fielded by SU since the glory days in the 80's.

If there's anything that Dino has taught us it's that if he sees either of those places being a huge weakness he'll get creative to find a solution.
This^^
We're getting to a point now where fretting about what we'll lose, is far outweighed by what we already have.
Remember when losing AET was gonna decimate the receiving game, until Ish stepped up and kept it rolling?
We have several youngsters who'll step up on D, and you just know HCDFB will address any shortcomings in the offseason. Chill.

Wasnt Davis pretty close to seeing time this year? Coming from Canada isnt he really like a So/JR already?

I really think Butler gives us more big plays but maybe not the consistency next year.. I think Moe gives us the same in Phillips spot if thats where he goes, maybe Johnson as well. Custis was the starter so who knows and there is about 5-6 guys trying to step in as well.. Hopefully better oline run blocking makes passing a bit easier next yr

I really think Butler gives us more big plays but maybe not the consistency next year.. I think Moe gives us the same in Phillips spot if thats where he goes, maybe Johnson as well. Custis was the starter so who knows and there is about 5-6 guys trying to step in as well.. Hopefully better oline run blocking makes passing a bit easier next yr

Don't forget about Riley filling in for Phillips, had a big game against CMU when he got in more, but I really hope Moe gets moved out to the slot as well.

The same people that said this kid wouldn't start until his redshirt Soph year are the same people that are saying he's going to start from day one! For future references, kids like this don't come to a school with a history of poor o-line play to wait to play. Nor will White, our tackles aren't that good either. At least the one that White will be replacing isn't.

Next year we are going to have 2 full solid Olines. If ED returns this team is going to light it up.

The same people that said this kid wouldn't start until his redshirt Soph year are the same people that are saying he's going to start from day one! For future references, kids like this don't come to a school with a history of poor o-line play to wait to play. Nor will White, our tackles aren't that good either. At least the one that White will be replacing isn't.
Conway has graded out as one of the top OT in he ACC. So what are you talking about?

I disagree that riley and/or neal can replace erv. Hope i am wrong though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom