Class of 2016 - C Omer Yurtseven (Turkey) Transfer from NC State to Georgetown | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 C Omer Yurtseven (Turkey) Transfer from NC State to Georgetown

Couple of things I gleaned from Wikipedia and other places:

1. His Turkish team, Fenerbahce is the same team Conrad McRae played for in Turkey.
2. Wikipedia lists him as a "professional basketball player."
3. He's only 17. Won't turn 18 until June 19. If he enrolls in a U.S. college he is no longer considered an international entrant for the NBA draft. Depending on the date of the 2017 draft is it possible that he won't meet the age limit of 19?
4. He was invited to participate in the Jordan Brand Classic
5. EuroBasket lists him as a PF and shows he is eligible for the 2020 NBA draft. I assume this is an error or based on outdated rules.
6. He is no longer associated with Fenerbahce and is considered a free agent.
7. If he chooses to enroll at Syracuse he will either immediately grow to 8'2" or be promptly "Boeheimed" relegated to the bench or forced out the door and will become a part of board legacy for years to come.

If you've read the entire thread, particularly that exchange early on, you would get the full context of my thoughts. I had watched a video and he didn't look like he would be an immediate contributor, and that is why I would have preferred not to bring in a kid who was not ready to contribute that has one foot out of the door. However, it must have been an old video, because after seeing more of him, he looks like he would be quite an addition.

My point was mostly about how you dont want to bring in kids with "one foot out the door". Sadly a high percentage of these higher recruits all have one foot out the door when they are seniors in high school...whether they verbalize it or not.

Who would you rather have Yurtseven or Thompson?

You can never have enough 7' players! Thompson probably has a better game overall but 7' is hard to coach.

In no aspect of basketball is Thompson better. It's why Yurtseven is a 5*, lotto pick projection and TT isn't.

Wow! I did not know that. What do you think our chances are to get him?

At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. video on Yurtseven: http://www.At their request, this n...evaluation-of-five-star-center-omer-yurtseven

Yurtseven will have big FOOT while he's here.

Post article: http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...center_omer_yurtseven.html#incart_river_index

"But Syracuse had never been associated with Yurtseven until the Turkish center dropped into the SU basketball office at the Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center earlier this week."

It's really interesting the kid just showing up. I wish Mike answer the two basic questions that arise from his article:

1. Did he like his visit?
2. Was he given an offer?

At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. says he was offered.

Verbal commits now has him now listed (it just happened in the last 30 minutes):

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/syracuse

"But Syracuse had never been associated with Yurtseven until the Turkish center dropped into the SU basketball office at the Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center earlier this week."

Didn't Seikaly do something similar? Just show up out of the blue?

Born in Uzbekistan. Does he speak English well enough to do college-level work? Last thing we need is another Fab Melo...

Forget him being a 5 star and potential lottery pick, I just want him to commit so I can go to the Taurean Thompson thread and post a DJ Khaled meme that says "Congratulations, you played yourself".

...Of course, I'd rather have both and not post that.

Born in Uzbekistan. Does he speak English well enough to do college-level work? Last thing we need is another Fab Melo...

He speaks pretty well.

P.S. Video link courtesy of Francis.

surely he'll visit (or be visited by) a UK or Duke or KU... no?

How is this kid even eligible if he played professionally in Europe?

Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk I think played pro ball n Eastern Europe and now players for Kansas. So IOW I have no fu@#ing clue.

I don't if that will happen and please don't call me Shirley
Shoot......this one works on multiple levels ;)
giphy.gif

Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk I think played pro ball n Eastern Europe and now players for Kansas. So IOW I have no fu@#ing clue.

Kansas is a whole different animal though. If this kid committed to Kansas, he'd get cleared, if he committed to Duke, the NCAA would give him 6 years of eligibility. Syracuse? Crap shoot in the extreme.

Supposedly he played, but was not paid. The Turkish club said that they set up an account for him and paid into it, but Omer says that he has not withdrawn any funds from that account. From what, admittedly little, that I've read, it seems to be a not uncommon tactic for euro clubs to hold onto their young players and keep them from going to the US to college ball.

What's the dynamic here with Thompson? Hate to see Yurt commit, Thompson go elsewhere and the not have Yurt qualify...

Building upon that question...
  1. What is the timetable for Yurtseven to decide upon a school [last signing day is May 18, 2016 for hoops]?
  2. Is he taking any other official visits?
  3. How / why did he end up at SU in the first place?
  4. We have two open scholarships, so is it Yurtseven OR Thompson, or both?
  5. Has the staff told them first come first serve?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom