Class of 2021 - OT Austyn Kauhi (HI) Offered | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 OT Austyn Kauhi (HI) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might be.

Austyn is #2 on the left.

Nearly two months have passed since Syracuse became the third FBS program to offer Kamehameha junior Austyn Kauhi a scholarship.

Since then, Kauhi’s consistent work have added nearly 10 pounds to his frame. The 6-foot-5 offensive lineman now weighs 270 pounds.

UNLV became the latest school to make an offer to him. The list of 10 offers now reads like this.

In chronological order:

Navy (AAC)

Hawaii (MWC)

Syracuse (ACC)

Idaho (Big Sky)

San Jose State (MWC)

Nevada (MWC)

Central Michigan (MAC)

San Diego State (MWC)

Fresno State (MWC)

UNLV (MWC)

“I don’t think it’s overwhelming. It just flows with everything,” Kauhi said on Thursday.

He is keeping an open mind, especially during these surreal moments of the COVID-19 lockdown.

“I don’t know too much about the school itself, but I know a lot a people who like to go there. I talked to the O-line coach, Coach Cameron (Norcross),” Kauhi said.

Norcross was the O-line coach at Vanderbilt for four years before coming to UNLV. Prior to that, he was at Fresno State and Nevada. The new head coach is Marcus Arroyo, who was assistant head coach and offensive coordinator at Oregon.

“It brings a lot of things. Experience,” Kauhi said. “They’re bringing that collective knowledge all together.”

Rutgers, Army and Kansas have not made offers, but are in contact with Kauhi.

“We keep in touch. Rutgers, I’m in touch with the running backs coach, O-line coach and head coach. The Big Ten is a better conference, but it’s not really (a factor),” Kauhi said. “I don’t have a top three yet. I’m kind of open.”

The online classes and backyard workouts continue. Gaining eight or so pounds in two months while lifting and running nearly every day is noteworthy.

“I think it’s muscle, a combination of everything I do. Ladders, cones and bungee resistance bands,” he said. “I just don’t want to go over 280 for now.”

The consistent work means Kauhi will be fairly light on his feet whenever the pandemic eases enough for schools to re-open. Kamehameha always has depth on both sides of the ball, but what if injuries and illness create a shortage of bodies on the defensive line?

“I have never played defense before. Defensive line? I’ll play wherever,” said Kauhi, who did not play football until eighth grade. “I’d get a sack. Guarantee.”
When is that article from? If it's recent, doesn't sound like he's the commit

Would be an excellent pickup for the CUSE and we should start tapping into the Hawaiian & Samoan players like Utah, Oregon & Washington does.

Syracuse is the only school that is warm on his 247 profile.

Love this kid's frame, and that he is "lighter" now. Tall kids like this have the room to add good weight and grow into their frame without losing athleticism.

The OSU's, PSU's, etc. of the world get 6-5 300 pound kids out of high school, who are viable NFL prospects almost from day 1. We need to "grow" ours, so that we have guys who are similarly athletic.

That strategy [especially on both lines] is key to our ability to compete in the ACC.

Love this kid's frame, and that he is "lighter" now. Tall kids like this have the room to add good weight and grow into their frame without losing athleticism.

The OSU's, PSU's, etc. of the world get 6-5 300 pound kids out of high school, who are viable NFL prospects almost from day 1. We need to "grow" ours, so that we have guys who are similarly athletic.

That strategy [especially on both lines] is key to our ability to compete in the ACC.

Completely agree. that is a big frame at his age and he looks slender at that. He can be a mauler on the offensive line once we build out his strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom