Class of 2022 - C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet he was, on and off the court.
There is a very weird story that goes with Anderson. He was charged with underage sex and extortion. Turns out that the girl stalked him and was very young but lied about her age. another girl posed as Anderson to extort the first girl.

Last edited:
Not rated, but...
  • Missed most of last year due to HS season cancellation
  • A bit of a late bloomer who wasn't on the national radar before things shut down nationally
  • Didn't participate in AAU prior to this past spring, due to COVID, which limited his exposure
  • People saw him for the first time on a national stage this summer -- and that's when we jumped in
Pointing out the above is not rationalizing him as a darkhorse, drinking orange kool aid about him being the next Seikaly, etc. It's the context for why he came out of nowhere, and why his ranking is seemingly out of whack with his physical capabilities and athleticism.

I get why people are skeptical about him being unrated -- I really do -- but you have to peel the onion back on this one. There are reasons why he was unrated that have ZERO to do with his tools, capabilities, and potential.

I'd be shocked if he isn't rated in the top 100 by the end of the year. Shocked.
Not only could this kid be an under-the-radar gem, Waters article mentions that his twin 15-year-old brothers joined him on the SU visit. :cool:

Last edited:
Most big guys when they get to SU and for some throughout their career, when on the court they look, move, play awkward. Its a small video sample, but awkward is not a word to describe him, hes more fluid. Very different from the Forths, Celuk, Chuckwu, Fab his fr year (out of shape), BMK (couldnt catch)

The kid HAS been evaluated. By our staff. Enough.
In my opinion our staff has consistently been great at evaluating under the radar prospects. If they like his ability and potential than I think he is a great addition to the team. The only drawback is that players don’t stay in the program for more than a year if they don’t see playing time. Hopefully Peter is all in on Syracuse and is willing to accept being a developmental prospect. He may surprise like Rony Seikaly did as a freshman. Who knows, but I am willing to take a chance on athletic and coordinated center prospects. I LOVE this pickup!!!

In my opinion our staff has consistently been great at evaluating under the radar prospects. If they like his ability and potential than I think he is a great addition to the team. The only drawback is that players don’t stay in the program for more than a year if they don’t see playing time. Hopefully Peter is all in on Syracuse and is willing to accept being a developmental prospect. He may surprise like Rony Seikaly did as a freshman. Who knows, but I am willing to take a chance on athletic and coordinated center prospects. I LOVE this pickup!!!
Sort of. Been a struggle for quite a while at center since Arinze. The 2 that turned into great players after him were both top 5 Centers out of HS.

Sort of. Been a struggle for quite a while at center since Arinze. The 2 that turned into great players after him were both top 5 Centers out of HS.
Are you referring to Fab and Rak?

Are you referring to Fab and Rak?
Yes. Fab #2 C in 2010 and Rak #1 in 2012. They obviously worked out. The "under the radar" centers not so much. Taken a shot on a lot of them in the last 10-15 years and haven't really hit on any since Ariane. Got a couple decent contributors and a bunch of nothings. Ended up having to play guys like Lyndon and Marek at the position out of necessity because guys havent developed at that spot whether it be due to injury or lack of skill/bball iq.Still worth the gambles just because developed 7 footers are unicorns at this level.

Yes. Fab #2 C in 2010 and Rak #1 in 2012. They obviously worked out. The "under the radar" centers not so much. Taken a shot on a lot of them in the last 10-15 years and haven't really hit on any since Ariane. Got a couple decent contributors and a bunch of nothings. Ended up having to play guys like Lyndon and Marek at the position out of necessity because guys havent developed at that spot whether it be due to injury or lack of skill/bball iq.Still worth the gambles just because developed 7 footers are unicorns at this level.
Both fab and rak were highly rated but in today’s age I think fab would’ve transferred after his freshman year and Rak definitely would’ve transferred before he had a productive senior year.

Some of the under the radar centers that Syracuse have had include Rony Seikaly, Rick Jackson, Otis Hill and Arinze Onuaku; none top 100 HS prospects

Both fab and rak were highly rated but in today’s age I think fab would’ve transferred after his freshman year and Rak definitely would’ve transferred before he had a productive senior year.

Some of the under the radar centers that Syracuse have had include Rony Seikaly, Rick Jackson, Otis Hill and Arinze Onuaku; none top 100 HS prospects
Rick Jackson and Otis Hill were both top 100. Otis was in the top 40, I believe. And, Rick was top 60 or 80.

Carey is better than Clingan

Ha. I said that to my brother today. At least in our system.

1633063511242.png

RJ was 4 stars and #65 recruit in the country. So Arinze back in the class of 2005 seems to be the most recent example of one of the "under the radar" centers actually turning into a competent starter. Thats a longggg time and a lot of losing lotto tickets. Hopefully Edwards becomes a quality starter and ends that streak.

Yeah if you actually watch the tape of both I agree.
You can’t teach 7’1” 280 pounds. Clingan is an immovable object. Carey is more athletic but can be tossed around like a pin ball ball. You can’t compare the two. Their style of play have nothing in common. it all depends what a program is looking for.

You can’t teach 7’1” 280 pounds. Clingan is an immovable object. Carey is more athletic but can be tossed around like a pin ball ball. You can’t compare the two. Their style of play have nothing in common. it all depends what a program is looking for.
They literally play so similar. Both athletic freaks, run the floor like a deer, great at blocking shots. I give Clingan the edge on offense with his passing and shooting ability but Carey is the much better defender on the perimeter.

They literally play so similar. Both athletic freaks, run the floor like a deer, great at blocking shots. I give Clingan the edge on offense with his passing and shooting ability but Carey is the much better defender on the perimeter.
Clingan, if this makes sense, runs more like the giant he is. He gets up and down the floor fairly well for a guy his size. But, Carey is more fluid and athletic, in my opinion. Clingan definitely has some nice passing skills.

Clingan an athletic freak???

Clingan an athletic freak???
He’s very coordinated for his size, maybe athletic isn’t the right term because of his size he’s not a good leaper or explosive - but he’s not a putz either, especially considering how big he is

He’s very coordinated for his size, maybe athletic isn’t the right term because of his size he’s not a good leaper or explosive - but he’s not a putz either, especially considering how big he is
I'll go with the immovable object approach. He clears space with that big body. I might end up being completely wrong on this down the line, but I'd rather have Carey. When it was Clingan and the new Dookie, Filla something. I would have taken the new Dookie. Clingan never impressed me. Again i'm sure down the line, I'll be wrong

A much better defender on the perimeter? who has a better half court shot? we need out center to block shots in the middle

Status
Not open for further replies.