Class of 2022 - C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know much about this kid but I've seen a thousand of these A-10 level kids who could easily be a 4 year role player for us. Kind of like a Dave Siock. If St Bona and UMass like him, he is worth a spot on our 13 man roster.

Well damn, looks like a nice prospect. I can't wait to watch videos of game action, not just practice dunks and scrimmages. You guys should have seen me dunk between games down at the park, you would think I was dunking over everyone. Anyway, he looks like Flip light. And, by light, I mean he is 25 pounds lighter...and he doesn't look like the outside threat that Flip is. But, he looks to handle and pass pretty well for a young man his size. And, the doo is exemplary.

6'11 205lbs...athletic build with lots of skills for a kid his size. Long wingspan for the zone of course.

Carey has had an unorthodox start to his recruiting journey, but the wait was well worth it. He transferred to New England powerhouse Northfield Mount Hermon for his junior season, but there was one problem: They didn’t have a season.

Because of the coronavirus pandemic, Northfield was unable to play any games against other schools this past winter. With no games to play, Carey and his teammates did their best to make sure the season wasn’t wasted. Whether it was working out individually to try and improve his game or the intrasquad scrimmages, Carey made the most out of every opportunity he had.

“I’ve had a lot of work mentally that I’ve done and I feel like that’s really helped me out,” Carey said. “Physically, I’ve just been getting stronger and taking my game to the next level.”

The recent live periods were the first time Carey was able to play with NMH, one of the top prep school programs in New England, against other schools. The rising senior played well during NMH’s only active weekend, the last weekend of June, when they played at Avon Old Farm (Conn.) during the New England Prep School Athletic Conference (NEPSAC)’s open event.

“I was not disappointed at all,” he said. “This is such a great program with a great bunch of guys. We’re going to have a lot of success this coming year.

“I thought the NEPSAC was an amazing event,” he added. “[We’re] such a high-level team, so much talent, and we had a great weekend.”

“I was always tall for my age. I hit a growth spurt, eighth to ninth grade, I went from 6-foot to 6-6, then from there I went to 6-6 to 6-8 the next year, and 6-8 to 6-11.”

Carey is certainly making his presence known, and it’s kind of hard not to when you’re 7 feet tall and 205 pounds.

He’s best on the defensive end, using his long wingspan to his advantage to protect the rim at a high level. On offense he sets good screens and uses his size to his advantage when trying to carve out space in the post. Carey is still trying to add some sort of midrange jumper to his game, with a turnaround shot being his go-to move in the post at times. He understands the importance of expanding his range and how useful that could be at the next level.

“My midrange is coming around a lot, but to be able to stretch the floor with a 3-point jump shot would be lethal at my height,” Carey said. “So it’s definitely coming along.”

The biggest aspect of Carey’s game is his motor and mobility for a player of his size, which has garnered the attention of many Division I schools. With offers from Rutgers, Albany, UMass and St. Bonaventure, the 7-footer has plenty of options to his growing list of schools. He’s also drawing interest from Ivy League schools, Penn State, Virginia Tech and Syracuse.

Carey has been on three visits so far: Rutgers, UMass and Colombia. He mentioned how the Rutgers visit was his favorite so far, but in no way is this the end of his recruitment journey.

Carey’s recent success has come as no surprise for him.

“I always knew in the back of my head that I have the potential to get there,” he said. “It was just going to be a matter of how hard I worked, and I put in enough work this year that things are starting to come together, and it was at a perfect time. I’m pretty excited and happy but I’m not satisfied.” — Zak Wolf

One thing that sticks out is how aggressive he is. Seems like a strong kid for being on the leaner side compared to someone like Flip.

Guess we're out with Filipowski.
I would bet that the staff has a very good sense of where we stand with Flip. Too bad because Flip is going to be special from day 1.

Peter Carey is interesting. From the very limited clips I've seen, he seems to have a well developed offensive skill set at 6-11. Look past the dunks, and he is drop stepping over both shoulders, finishing with either hand, there was even a clip of him shooting in the lane with his left hand from about 8-10 feet. The clear issue with him is going to be getting stronger.

Somebody compared him to "Flip light" above. I see more Edwards in his game.

Is my sarcasm meter off? This kid as an athlete and has advanced offensive footwork. What’s the issue with many big men? Offense.

No sarcasm. I was legitimately stating how athletic he is and impressive his attacking ability is with his dunks. I get tired of big guys who go up soft and lay it in instead of dunking it with force like he seems to.

Isn't he a 4, and Flip says he will be playing inside, at least some of the time, at SU?

Looks a little more athletic/twitchy then Flip, no where near as refined offensively from 8ft out though and probably will not be anytime soon. But I like this kids potential defensively more than flip, he's a touch quicker which can translate well on the defensive end. jmho

Looks a little more athletic/twitchy then Flip, no where near as refined offensively from 8ft out though and probably will not be anytime soon. But I like this kids potential defensively more than flip, he's a touch quicker which can translate well on the defensive end. jmho
If we get the offense we are hoping from Lands, Taylor and (JJ or Copeland ), then adding a guy like this is a great pickup. Great puzzle piece when added to the current/projected mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom