Class of 2019 C Qudus Wahab (VA) Offered

Discussion in 'Basketball Recruiting Forum' started by Deano, Jan 21, 2018.

1. cuseinseattle

cuseinseattle All Conference

He is more adept than Chukwu near the basket but I'm not sure if your handle comment is referring to him taking off from the 3 point line and driving to about 4 feet from the basket. He will probably never be asked to do that. He is also 3 inches shorter than Chukwu and probably not as good a shot blocker. I don't hate the offer I just don't think it was completely necessary at this moment. Go to the kids game and talk about how he fits in your system and recruit him without an offer. I mean we waited a decade to offer Cam Reddish. I'm not saying it would have made the difference but we should have offered right out of the gate early and been on him and make the decision harder.

torque and OrangeinNH like this.
  2. Janner

Janner 2nd String

I can understand where some people are coming from, he does appear to be a little stiff and not to explosive in those tapes, but as one poster mentioned earlier the tapes are a bit old and he is, after all a 2019 recruit. He has a year an a half to continue to improve. Also, given our history with big men recruits I don't think we can expect a ton out of him as a Freshman, centers take the longest to mold and grow into their rolls so I look at that as a developmental year as well. If we have a decent center (Sidebe as a Jr maybe someone else as well) I don't mind this offer. The kid is BIG, and not in that lanky long way, he's thick and his body looks very mature. I don't think he'll get pushed around at all in the ACC. Finally, Red must have seen something he liked to offer on the visit. I too would prefer a top 5 center but we have been struggling getting those recently so I don't hate the offer all things considered.

3. PauliePeppas

PauliePeppas All American

Pretty sure hes ranked in the top 60 for espn...

Janner likes this.
  4. cuseguy

cuseguy Hall of Fame

We haven’t had much success over the years in recruiting big men who are game ready as freshman. So, based on his skill set, which isn’t bad, not sure we’re going to do much better.

5. Cusesky8214

Cusesky8214 Starter

6. Madbiker

Madbiker All American

Why do I doubt that we get any kid who is any good out of Virginia?

7. reedny

reedny Hall of Fame

Don't underestimate what a 7 footer does to the zone. Qudus would be a nice addition, as we've seen from Chukwu.

To Chukwu's critics, all I can say is that, at his height, all he needs to be is serviceable to change the zone. And he's certainly that, as several opposing coaches have observed. The rest is a WIP. For a few examples, he's just starting to be able to run the P/R. His screens are not strong enough ... he's rushing things and flying to the rim too early. He shows drop step and baby hook moves in practice that we don't see in games. He's still dropping the ball down too low and getting stripped. And he comes up too high sometimes and gets burned on lobs. All of that is being worked on at the Melo Center.

OTOH: 1) he's cut down his fouls; 2) his free throw shooting is better; 3) he's blocking shots and changing the inside dynamic for opposing teams; 4) he runs the floor well and is playing 27 mpg; 5) he's passing the ball better outside of the paint; and 6) he's pulling down 6.6 rpg and scoring almost 6 ppg.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  8. orangefog

orangefog Voted "Best Looking Poster" 6 years in a row

And he looks badass in those goggles.